Gibson Brands Forums

Take a look at this one... maple neck?

Thundergod

Take a look at this thing... someone asks how is it that he is selling the one gibson with "les paul" on the TRC and the headstock at the same time... and that finish (specially the neck) and all... and he answers:

"If you actually worked with Gibson guitars you would know one thing. Expect the unexpected. Gibson did and still does custom orders, they have employees..."

What an a-hole... anyway maybe im wrong but Ive never seen that neck wood on a gibson... and never have seen a les paul with string through body design... tunners are wrong... the shape of the body is wrong too... if it was a gibson, I doubt it would be a les paul model... and look at the neck joint...

This thing also has 24 frets

Can somebady please ask him how he got it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-VINTAGE-1974-L6-Solid-Quilt-Body-Les-Paul-RARE_W0QQitemZ330252311038QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33040QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well, he IS right on several counts.

What an ***-hole is right, hope he can't sell it just for the attitude he displayed.

Still, Gibson did all sorts of oddball things.

Ever hear of a 12 string SG?

The owner of my favorite guitar shop was at Gibson a couple weeks ago, saw ALL KINDS of one-off oddballs.

He's had many come thru his store over the years.

Gibson employees can build their own guitar, and they come up with all kinds of crazy sh!t.

Eventually they get sold, and wind up on the open market...

Right now, there are a pair of Telecaster prototypes hanging in Bizarre Guitar I would LOVE to get my hands on.

I forgot to show them to Silverbursted's son.

Both are set neck, one is basically an SG Junior with a Tele shape. ALL Mahogany with P-90's.

The other is all Mahogany with a Flame Maple cap, Floyd Rose, and hum/single/hum pickups.

These were NOT regular production guitars, but prototypes, and they are beautiful!

They were in the same private collection I bought my 12 string SG from.

As far as the Ebay guitar, it looks real enough to me - making a judgement call.

There were lotsa Gibsons made with Maple necks, like my double neck.

Maple fretboard is indeed rare, but I've seen several Les Pauls over the years with Maple boards. Played one of them.

Here's a link with a bit of info.

http://vintageguitars.org.uk/gibsonL6S.php

The info under the L-6S Deluxe and the Midnight Special mentions bolt-on neck, string-through, and maple fingerboards. Also the quote under the Midnight Special leaves a lot of room for oddball guitars.

"This 'secret' guitar was left unadvertised. Unmentioned in price lists, catalogs and other promotional material"

None of this explains the Les Paul labels though.

I have to say I think it's for real. Maybe some of the appointments are aftermarket but I believe it.

I used to buy and sell equipment in college to help pay the bills and I came across an odd 70's gibson. It had a RD body without the moog cavity. 2 volume pots and a tone and selector switch for two ring mounted humbuckers. It had a thick nitro finish on the body in wine red with a primer undercoat on a mahogany body (it had a number of chips). The neck was standard open book Gibson made of maple with a black headstock and silkscreened logo. But you could tell there was a "les Paul" silkscreened under the black paint and it had the old kluson stlye tuners. No serial but a made in the USA in the neck pocket.

It sounded like crap and the neck was like a baseball bat but the guy who sold it to me said his uncle owned a guitar shop in the 60's through the 80's and they had a gibson rep/ friend that regularly stopped by and brought in demos and prototypes for them to try out and this was one of them. He had a couple pics of some other odd crap like the Futura but with mini's and an SG with two single coils. He said most of the prototypes had bolt on necks so they could try out different ones.

I called Gibson and after a couple weeks ended up talking to a guy named Bob, if I remember right. He was a bit of an unofficial historian and he said there is no accounting for what went out in the 70's and 80's. He said they tried all kinds of stuff and cleared out the old idea banks to try and keep up with the japanese guitars that had such exteme designs. He said there is no way to say 100% it is real but he would bet his #1 git on it.

I sold it to a believer at a guitar show for a hefty profit and he didn't even ask for details. Said he knew it was the real deal. There's my old guy long winded story for the month.

So back to this guy, I've never seen quilt tops that old but I wouldn't count it out. I wouldn't buy it either without being able to inspect it firsthand.

so I asked the guy three questions:

1. What's the serial number

2. What are the volume/tone knobs photoshopped

3. The body doesn't look right.

his response...

"The serial number isa for a 1974, your body doesn't look right

either? Why don't you photoshop your knobs and leave me alone?

Weirdo technoid zonie!"

Why are the volume/tone knobs blurred?

If you follow the link posted by FennRX you'll see mention of a previous auction and something about swastikas on the knobs. I don't care what pharmaceutically enhanced one-offs Gibson was putting out in the '70s. They weren't putting "Nazi-knobs" on guitars.

it's a L6 prior to the L6-s and no they did not say Les Paul it was a different model all together he added stickers and refin to try to jack the price up would be my guess. It looks right for the L6 though and the case is correct so the guitar is likely ok, but it's not a Les Paul model and decals were probably added as part of a refin since the L6 was black, cherry or natural/blonde if memory serves me. the case is correct though as the L6 is a little larger than a Les paul and the cases don't work for each other.

This Godzilla Guitars Evilbay guy is a psycho. even though he has a few nice guitars or parts periodically he cobbles **** together and calls it original and even improved. then rants about people trying to rip his priceless one of a kind guitars off for almost nothing. but then he does the weirdest Ebay posts that are full of pictures of his girlfriend or wife whoever she is (AnneMarie) blessing his guitars in sacred ocean light and posing like a wanna be supermodel with all kinds of strange little plastic Godzilla figures and weird descriptions of a beigelanders and his queen and just way out weird stuff.

The 60's were way too much for this whack job. He also constantly rants about the Les Paul forum people and what snobs and idiots they are so were probably next, now. He make Ed Roman look normal in his rants and sadly he has all kinds of people thinking he's special and not in the short bus special kind of way. He had a really nice looking SG a few months ago that was a 63-64-65-66 model year that I would have been tempted to buy if anyone else was selling it but i don't support the crazies at his level.

it's a L6 not a L6-s though - the L6-s looked like this (below) and was not a bolt on neck unless it was a midnight special but you could get through body strings or a stopbar.

I love L6-S guitars one of Gibson truly undervalued older guitars.

GibsonL6S-1copy.jpg

Take a look at this thing... someone asks how is it that he is selling the one gibson with "les paul" on the TRC and the headstock at the same time... and that finish (specially the neck) and all... and he answers:

"If you actually worked with Gibson guitars you would know one thing. Expect the unexpected. Gibson did and still does custom orders' date=' they have employees..."

What an a-hole... anyway maybe im wrong but Ive never seen that neck wood on a gibson... and never have seen a les paul with string through body design... tunners are wrong... the shape of the body is wrong too... if it was a gibson, I doubt it would be a les paul model... and look at the neck joint...

This thing also has 24 frets

Can somebady please ask him how he got it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-VINTAGE-1974-L6-Solid-Quilt-Body-Les-Paul-RARE_W0QQitemZ330252311038QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33040QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/quote']

Hi there Thundergod.

Whilst the above mentioned guitar is certainly of dubious parentage I thought I might add a little general info. According to Ian C. Bishop's book 'The Gibson Guitar from 1950' (vol 1) "The L6S was introduced in 1974....a varnished maple fingerboard.....a cheaper range...designated the L6S DeLuxe ....strings enter through the back of the instrument.....two octave fingerboard..." etc. etc.

The chap is perhaps trying to dupe people into thinking he has a rare, one-off Genuine Gibson Guitar. Then again, maybe he has......

Best wishes............

This Godzilla Guitars Evilbay guy is a psycho.

rants about people trying to rip his priceless one of a kind guitars off for almost nothing.

but then he does the weirdest Ebay posts that are full of pictures of his girlfriend or wife whoever she is (AnneMarie) blessing his guitars in sacred ocean light and posing like a wanna be supermodel with all kinds of strange little plastic Godzilla figures and weird descriptions of a beigelanders and his queen and just way out weird stuff.

He make Ed Roman look normal in his rants and sadly he has all kinds of people thinking he's special and not in the short bus special kind of way.

I love L6-S guitars one of Gibson truly undervalued older guitars.

Well done!!!

I remember that guy now, never paid much attention to him until now...

Makes Roman look normal? Wow!

I've always been fascinated by the L-5, L-6 stuff, in sort of an ugly puppy sort of way. Thought about getting one.

The prices are insane on them now, not many around and most are beat up. A nice one goes for $$$$$.

No thanks.

Archived