Gibson Brands Forums

the G-400 has some flaws i think

dcollver

come epiphone make it better!

i got this guitar for my Birthday last week and the intonation is all messed up and the bridge height to,

string buzzes a lot and when the rhythm/treble switch is in the middle, sometimes it bumps up and down causing it to change for a second. other than that its awesome!!!!

i am most likely going to return it for a les paul studio. i wont even bother taking it to the music mart if it has this many problems out of the box! plus it goes out of turn faster than my Costco fender starcaster.lol

is anyone else having this problem right out of the box?

i have played guitars brand new never changed anything from the box and they all played like a new guitar should, very nice.

please help?!?!?!?!

plus its very neck heavy and fragile, i dropped it from like 2 in. away to a edge on accident the 2nd day i had it and the neck got a crack in it but its not really noticeable and cant really feel it but still come on

If the intonation is off, then FIX IT. It's not hard to do.

If the bridge height is not to your liking than RAISE IT, or LOWER IT.

Dude, what's the problem. Do actually think that every new guitar you buy should be perfect out of the box? Because if you do, then your in for a rude awakening.

The problems you explained are easily fixable, and are no reason to take a guitar back. Everyone likes their guitar set up differently, so how can everyone be made happy with a guitar right out of the box. They can't, it's impossible.

My G400 is great! Stays in tune great too.

So you want some help.

I say learn how to set up your own guitar.

come epiphone make it better!

i got this guitar for my Birthday last week and the intonation is all messed up and the bridge height to' date='

string buzzes a lot and when the rhythm/treble switch is in the middle, sometimes it bumps up and down causing it to change for a second. other than that its awesome!!!!

i am most likely going to return it for a les paul studio. i wont even bother taking it to the music mart if it has this many problems out of the box! plus it goes out of turn faster than my Costco fender starcaster.lol

is anyone else having this problem right out of the box?

i have played guitars brand new never changed anything from the box and they all played like a new guitar should, very nice.

please help?!?!?!?!

plus its very neck heavy and fragile, i dropped it from like 2 in. away to a edge on accident the 2nd day i had it and the neck got a crack in it but its not really noticeable and cant really feel it but still come on [/quote']

Umm, all guitars require adjustments, either learn to do it yourself or bring it to a qualified individual. I've got 3-4 thousand dollar guitars that needed adjustments of sorts. This can happen during shipping as changes in temperature and humidity can play tricks on the instrument.

i did fix all that stuff(finally) and its still messing up, going out of tune realllllly fast, fret buzzes alot unless you raise the bridge alot but i like it kinda low but not low enough to fret buzz. i will take it to the shop with professionals to.

i did fix all that stuff(finally) and its still messing up' date=' going out of tune realllllly fast, fret buzzes alot unless you raise the bridge alot but i like it kinda low but not low enough to fret buzz. i will take it to the shop with professionals to. [/quote']

New strings can cause problems until they settle in. Also, if you are still using the factory strings that might be the cause. Get real strings put on, get it set up/adjusted professionally, and then you'll be good to go.

This isn't a G-400 issue, it is a new guitar issue. My roommate had to take his brand new Gibson SG in to be set up - this is very common to new guitars.

yeah i put new strings on like last week. but i kinda suck at putting them on so i hope its that. but i mean i am not that bad at putting them on

That is probably why your guitar is going out of tune. If the strings aren't wrapped around the tuner pegs right the strings will slip. Do a search on youtube about how to sting a guitar.

I like my action low too, but I usually set it so I get a little buzz. I only hear it when the guitar isn't played through an amp. When the amp is turned up, I don't hear any buzz and that is alright with me.

I had my G-400 set up when I got it and it still plays great, but I maintain it. If you don't know how, you may need to take it in and have a set up done.

An investment like a new guitar is more than the price of the guitar. It's also an investment in time, to check out basic things one can do to maintain the instrument and keep it in an enjoyable, playable state. Tuning, basic setup tricks, care of the finish......all are part of ownership. (To me, anyway......)

ok this is probally a dumb question but the neck is heavy on my g-400 and it dips forward if you do not hold it.

is there a way to make it not do this?lol

By "dips forward", do you mean when you let go it tries to point towards the floor? That's something that happens to guitars when the neck outweighs the body, in relation to the balance points of the strap buttons. A wider strap might take some of the issue away, by giving more contact area to your shoulder.

Yeah, that's one of the things about the SG. Really bothers some people. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Here's something that can help. Make sure you get a wide leather strap. And not the smooth side. Find one that has at least one side that is kinda "non-smooth", or rough, if you know what I mean. And make it as wide as you can. This will help hold the strap better in place on your shoulder.

You can try moving the strap button to another location. I've never done it, but I have heard of others doing it with mixed results. Some tape a roll of coins or some other heavy object in the control panel to help balance it out. Lighter tuners may help also.

Hope this helps.

My son bought an SG G400 new and had it set up by the store we bought it from and it's great, they all need a bit done to them, some more than others. His blue SG went from China to Australia and then to New Zealand so its no wonder it needed some adjustment, he is really happy with it. If you get it properly set up and checked every 6 mths it will be sweet.

I use a leather strap with rough leather on the inside for most of my guitars. The rough leather grabs on to my clothes and stops my G-400 from and neck dives. I can drop my hands from the guitar and my G-400 stays right where I want it to. I also use strap locks, highly recommended.

Some of the issues you're contending with are, unfortunately, part of the economics of today's musical instrument industry. Way back in the ooooooooooold days all the "better" instrument retailers would include a "setup" as part of the delivery of a new guitar. Today, not so much. So you end up with the issues you describe. When I received my new G-400 I had extremely high action, the neck wasn't straight, the pickup heights weren't adjusted, the nut slots weren't filed properly so it had tuning stability issues, & the bridge buzzed a little bit. But not to worry a simple "setup" cured all these. I perform my own setups now but there are trained luthiers that do this for a living. It adds $50 or so after the price of the guitar but it's worth it.

As for the head heavy nature of the SG, that's the nature of the SG. I don't find it a problem but I've been playing SGs for many years. I'm ok with it. It's part of the design compromises of the guitar.

If you replace the SG with a LesPaul you'll find it has compromises as well. But to each his own. A new LP will also need a setup, so be prepared to do it or have it done.

Good Luck & enjoy your new guitar.

yeah i put new strings on like last week. but i kinda suck at putting them on so i hope its that. but i mean i am not that bad at putting them on

If you didn't properly re-string, then the string could be slipping at the tuner and that would cause it to go out of tuning and fast. Do you lock you string at the tuner?

Sheila

ok this is probally a dumb question but the neck is heavy on my g-400 and it dips forward if you do not hold it.

No, there is no way to change that. All SGs (whether G-400s or real Gibsons) are like that. Just be thankful you don't have a Gibson Firebird as they are really neck heavy.

I use a suede strap for the G400. This helps prevent the neck dive as the suede doesn't slide across the shoulder (if you're wearing a shirt. Any strap with a grip on the shoulder portion will work.

Sheila

If you didn't restring it properly the strings may be slipping a bit ... Plus, new strings will take a few days to settle as they need to be stretched. The issue is likely one of those things ... I doubt you got a defective guitar. The G400s are generally pretty well made.

The neck on the G400 is super-thin, and super-fast, but it is heavy !! I think technically it's the headstock that is heavy - I have some dings on my G400 headstock from when I first got it and made the mistake of releasing the neck from my hand !! I switched to a grainier nylon strap (from leather) and it doesn't slide as much on me now. If it continues to be a problem you can weight the bridge end by connecting it to a cinder block. Kind of like people do with the gas station restroom key [biggrin]

Archived