Gibson Brands Forums

Where can I get one of these.....

Old Scratch and Bluser12 are going see a bit of development here.....

In this Youtube clip the guy is playing with his thumb (I don't use a pick and play with my fingers, my thumb doing most of the work). The guy has a pick on his thumb "me wants to try that" where can I find one, or a few of those (see Scratch I eventually had GAS attack for a pick we live and learn, then GAS [cool])

SECOND QUESTION:

which is best affordable (mid range) Telecaster with a mini humbucker in the neck.....[cool]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the thumb-picks I am familiar with. I've picked them up in local guitar shops from time to time. Maybe it's just me, but I find that they break very easily, so I gave up on them. Just use the outer side of my right thumb these days!

Re: Telecasters

Not sure about a mini-humbucker, I don't think I've ever seen such a beast. I suppose one option would be to buy a Mexican Tele and route it.

Alternatively, have you thought about one of the 1972 Custom reissues? They have Fender's modern version of a Fender wide-range humbucker in the neck. Quite a unique tone.

MIJ72CustomRITele_1.jpg

(photo nabbed from the Tele forum).

When I was looking for a Tele I was sorely tempted by one of these, or it's near cousin the Deluxe. But the Deluxe has a hulking great neck on it, so it was a toss up between a new Custom or a lightly used American Series. After a lot of thought the American Series won out, but I still have periodic episodes of Custom GAS.

Well' date=' the thumb-picks I am familiar with. I've picked them up in local guitar shops from time to time. Maybe it's just me, but I find that they break very easily, so I gave up on them. Just use the outer side of my right thumb these days!

Not sure about a mini-humbucker, I don't think I've ever seen such a beast. I suppose one option would be to buy a Mexican Tele and route it.

Alternatively, have you thought about one of the 1972 Custom reissues? They have Fender's modern version of a Fender wide-range humbucker in the neck. Quite a unique tone.

[img']http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1052255/MIJ72CustomRITele_1.jpg[/img]

When I was looking for a Tele I was sorely tempted by one of these, or it's near cousin the Deluxe. But the Deluxe has a hulking great neck on it, so it was a toss up between a new Custom or a lightly used American Series. After a lot of thought the American Series won out, but I still have periodic episodes of Custom GAS.

No got to be a mini in the neck like the one in the youtube vid......want it to try out different mini pickups.....just a long term project of mine possibly in the autumn. I was going to use the SG I have but that has full size buckers so I was thinking of replacing the SG with a Tele with a mini humbucker in the neck position....the idea is really growing on me...

I've never been in a guitar store in Sweden' date=' but thumb picks are very common. I actually have a few and have tried to get used to them, but for me it's a very strange feeling. I can finger pick, [b']OR[/b] I can play with a pick. When I try to use a thumb pick, I get the feeling my thumb is getting caught on the strings. On the other hand supposedly Robert Johnson used one, so they can't be all bad...[cool]

As to the Telecaster with a (Mini) Humbucker in the neck: That is a GREAT confinguration (Keith Richards plays a Tele with a full sized Humbucker), but as far as I know, Fender doesn't offer an inexpensive model. Here's what they have:

http://www.thomann.de/de/fender_vintage_hot_rod_52_tele.htm

I did, however, read somewhere that one of the inexpensive Tele's is actually routed for a Humbucker, although the guitar comes with a normal neck PU. I can check on that, if you like...

Yes that is what I am after

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_vintage_hot_rod_52_tele.htm

but for about a 1/6 of the price [cool]

Scratch I am a long way away from any guitar shops....I think in my whole life I must have spent a grand total of about 45 minutes in guitar shops every guitar I own was bought second hand, my old acoustic in a pub in Liverpool and all the rest online...I will search for the thumbpicks online.....

GASSing for thumbpicks as it come to this......my lord.....

I too have gas for one of those' date=' 72 custom deluxe which is MIM runs $699.00 USD. A few hundred more for the rosewood fretboard.

[/quote']

Thanks for the heads up Copperhead......now a second hand one of those could be an option

One thing to think about: Thumb picks come in different sizes -- for different sized thumbs' date=' presumably... [biggrin']

Perhaps you could wait until your trip to Stockholm (with the wiring kit [cool] ). One really needs to try them on.

Scratch I am devastated

got this this morning from the luthier I was recommended to use. He is supposed to be very good so I will have to wait.....it is killing me......but if he is good of course he is going to be busy....

Hi Joseph!

Thank you for contacting us. Right now we are extremely busy but I

will come back to you next week for further details.

Best regards,

Hans

Ad Lib Guitars

What about a Squier Custom Tele II?

1-036-036012-Squier-Tele-Custom-II.jpg

Has a P-90 at the neck position, so a mini-humbucker would surely be an easy fit.

Of course, you then have the question about what to do with the bridge position...[cool]

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0327602506

These seem to retail for £189 in the UK.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/10513-squier-by-fender-tele-custom-ii-p90-blonde.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

AS where can I find one of those...do you have a outlet....

I bought mine at Thomann. Or rather had it sent. Interestingly enough the only guitar I ever bought which didn't need a setup. And has been in unmodded stock state since I bought it. Comes prerouted for a HB at the neck if you're so inclined.

the way to do it is buy a humbuckered tele (in the neck.) buy a mini and new pickguard.

Thanks I will keep that option floating.....but those woodo guitars have my interest I have just e-mailed them to ask if they route one for a mini humbucker, a small company great wood and fantastic prices also 14 days return policy if I don't like.....could be worth a pop....a through neck tele for that price .......

I bought mine at Thomann. Or rather had it sent. Interestingly enough the only guitar I ever bought which didn't need a setup. And has been in unmodded stock state since I bought it. Comes prerouted for a HB at the neck if you're so inclined.

Thanks Rich I have just read very good reviews about these....and you say there is a mini humbucker option...

And Thomann has a 30 day money back guarantee...what are you waiting for? :-)

recent outgoings

Zephyr

Firebird

Sheraton going to the luthier

Even with what came in from selling my JP and 89 Sheraton the tank is empty just now........should be in a position to get a Tele in about mid June (birthday [biggrin] have to start introducing the wife to the word "Telecaster" ) or early July.........It will replace the SG in berth 5....[biggrin]

Up to now I like the through neck woodo and classic vibe.....the woodo is a bit more expensive but a through neck ebony Tele at a good price....that is a big attraction....even Svet would be interested in one of those I think.......he showed a very "expensive" through neck Tele in another thread recently...

Well' date=' the thumb-picks I am familiar with. I've picked them up in local guitar shops from time to time. Maybe it's just me, but I find that they break very easily, so I gave up on them. Just use the outer side of my right thumb these days!

[img']http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1052255/MIJ72CustomRITele_1.jpg[/img]

Now that is a handsome guitar ...

Joseph,

I own a 2007 MIM Tele with single coils in both positions and the body comes pre-routed for a humbucker in each position. So you should be able to purchase any newer MIM Tele and then the mini and new pickguard to handle the mini.

~MW

I will also suggest a used MIM tele. That neck through looks nice, but it will sound nothing like a tele, construction and wood is all wrong. I would look for a mid 90's MIM tele, I have a 95 and its a great guitar. Adding a mini HB would be as simple as a new pick guard and about 10 minutes with a router.

Everyone needs a tele, may as well go with the real thing.

Joseph' date='

I own a 2007 MIM Tele with single coils in both positions and the body comes pre-routed for a humbucker in each position. So you should be able to purchase any newer MIM Tele and then the mini and new pickguard to handle the mini.

~MW[/quote']

Thanks Mike

That solves the problem then.

What I am looking for is at least one of my guitars to have mini humbuckers that is easy to swap a neck pup on.

Because, I have plans in the future to every now and then buy a neck pup and try it out.

I just want to try a few different mini pickups in the same guitar to listen myself what they are like. It is so frustrating when one guy says this and another says this. I will try a few then sell the ones I don't like and keep the best two to my tastes.

I want to A/B a GFS with and SD and so on and so on just as a personal research over the next few months. It will be fun and if I do successfully sell on the excess which does not seem to be a problem in Sweden then it will be a good learning curve for me...

Just something I want to do as part of love of guitars.

I was going to modify a pickup ring in my SG but I might as well just shift that out and get a guitar with a ready made mini route...

the Tele is the ideal candidate...

OK I agree with Musikrom the recipe on the "Woodo" Mahogony through neck sounds more like what you find on a firebird than a tele......wonder what the Woodo would sound like with two firebird pickups being a mahogany through neck....

So it seems three ways to go

1) look for 90's MIM and route the neck myself

price unknown

2) Fender Squier Vintage Modified SSH

3223sek....US$450 new from Thomann

3) Fender Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster® Custom (need to know if this is ready routed for a mini as Mike suggested)

3766sek....US$526 new from Thomann

I think ideally given the reviews if the 3rd option is ready routed for a mini under the single coil pickguard that is one within my budget (birthday present [biggrin] I got my Levin for my last birthday from the wife' date=' which was just a little more...[biggrin)

How does the Classic Vibe measure up to the other options quality wise....?

EDIT: seems like the MIM Telecaster is not that expensive

Fender 60's Telecaster Rosewood

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Fender_60_s_Telecaster_Rosewood_26258975.htm?ca=11&w=1&last=1

4750sek....US$662......could probably knock him down to ....US$600

So this is a "real" Fender MIM not a Squier

7978275006.jpg

and I also found this Japanese Tele (really like the black piano finish on this one....)

Fender telecaster 62-reissue

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Fender_telecaster_62_reissue__kanonskick_26449302.htm?ca=11&w=1&last=1

5500sek....US$767

9131118924.jpg

Archived