Gibson Brands Forums

Smelly Epi 335 hardshell Case

Jimbo73

Hi,

I am so disgusted with Epiphone and Guitar Center right now, I could scream. Here's the story: I ordered a new Epi Dot and 335 hardshell case from Guitar Center a few weeks ago. I received the guitar and hardshell case recently in two separate shipments. The guitar is great, but there was a major issue with the hardshell case. The case stunk like mothballs soaked in gasoline and like it had been sitting in a musty, dank basement for years. I live in a one bedroom apartment, so I had to keep the case on my deck until I could return it for a new one. I received a "new" hardshell case today, but it looks and smells just like the one I returned. I called Guitar Center customer service today and told them that the case smelled just as bad as the first one, and, in fact, it looked like the one I returned (similar markings on the outside of the case). So, they gave me $25.00 in-store credit and suggested I take it to a local Guitar Center to get a new one. I cannot believe this. I have an Epi Les Paul standard and hardshell case that I ordered from Musician's Friend last year, and that case had no smell at all. Has anyone else had this issue with an Epi 335 hardshell case? My local Guitar Center store manager told me that he thinks it is the glue they use in these cases, but I think he's pulling my leg. I'm so angry about this, I can't even think straight right now. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

My Dot's a couple of years old, but I've never had an issue with the hardshell case. If I were you, I'd be standing in the middle of the GC with the case open screaming as loud as I could and I bet you get a brand new one real quick!! :(

BTW, welcome to the jungle!!!

This has been brought up before, it's nothing new. The stock Epi cases just smell bad.

You have two choices: leave it open on your deck for a few days until it gases off or get a different brand of case.

These are nice and don't smell: http://www.amazon.com/SKB-335-Type-Shaped-Hardshell/dp/B001AEA0G4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1271376586&sr=8-1-catcorr

Thanks for the advice, brianh. I'll probably just take the case over to my local GC and have them order a new one. It's interesting to hear that this issue has been brought up before. If anyone else on the forum reads this and has experienced this issue, I would like to hear what you have to say.

All new cases smell. Just do all the above, Febreeze, baking powder, magic smoke, vacuum it out, leave it out in the sun. It will go away in time, but all new cases have it. Its the glue and carpet giving off fumes, I think the sun and vacuum are the best bets along with time.

Every TKL manufactured case I've ever had smelled very, very badly. By airing the case for 7 days, wiping with a dryer sheet and keeping 3 different deodorizers in the case, it smelled ok unless it was left closed for more than 2 weeks -- then the smell came back as bad as ever. I sold them all (3) and no longer buy anything they make. I've been told the glue is the problem, but I think it is the combination of all those plastics and other synthetics sealed inside the case to percolate. Yuck.

This has been brought up before' date=' it's nothing new. The stock Epi cases just smell bad.

[/quote']

:) :) [confused]

I've bought 4 Epiphone Les Paul cases from musicians friend,

and not a single one of them smelled bad! Very pleased with

what I rcvd.

Have heard many stories of "toejam-smelling cases", has to be

due to some chemical used in manufacturing process...

I suppose a positive would be, if your case stinks, your guitar stinks,

no one will steal it!!!

I thought "new case funk" was just part & parcel of the game.

I have: 4 "Musicians Gear" (GC house brand) cases.......they all stink.

2 Gibson cases.......neither one has ever had any odor at all.

1 Epi. Sheraton II case.........O.M.G. it REEKS !

1 Road Runner case........no smell at all.

1 Chinese "Plexiglass faced" aluminum bodied wall hanging case that I SWEAR smells like healthy growing weed.

I'm so used to case funk that I don't even notice it now.

I thought "new case funk" was just part & parcel of the game.

You've just added to the growing list of abbreviations' date=' like HNGD,

and GAS, and IMHO...

"NCF" = New Case Funk!!!!

Eample: " I has "GAS", went to the local store, and "HNGD"!!!

IMHO, the hardshell has "NCF"..... Not LMAO.

[cool [cool] [cool]

Hi' date='

I am so disgusted with Epiphone and Guitar Center right now, I could scream. Here's the story: I ordered a new Epi Dot and 335 hardshell case from Guitar Center a few weeks ago. I received the guitar and hardshell case recently in two separate shipments. The guitar is great, but there was a major issue with the hardshell case. The case stunk like mothballs soaked in gasoline and like it had been sitting in a musty, dank basement for years. I live in a one bedroom apartment, so I had to keep the case on my deck until I could return it for a new one. I received a "new" hardshell case today, but it looks and smells just like the one I returned. I called Guitar Center customer service today and told them that the case smelled just as bad as the first one, and, in fact, it looked like the one I returned (similar markings on the outside of the case). So, they gave me $25.00 in-store credit and suggested I take it to a local Guitar Center to get a new one. I cannot believe this. I have an Epi Les Paul standard and hardshell case that I ordered from Musician's Friend last year, and that case had no smell at all. Has anyone else had this issue with an Epi 335 hardshell case? My local Guitar Center store manager told me that he thinks it is the glue they use in these cases, but I think he's pulling my leg. I'm so angry about this, I can't even think straight right now. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

Some cases are covered with PVC - polyvinyl chloride - e.g., Naugahyde. That stuff gasses out - or some sample do. It's attached to the fiberboard body with an adhesive that also gasses out. The internal padding is glued in with a quick-set contact cement. That too stinks. So all considered, there are several items combined to contribute to the uh, "robust" odor. How to get rid of it? You could get some of those OdorMute shoe inserts to toss in, along with a few bowls of baking soda. "Fabreze" type products only mask the smell. They don't remove it. You have to use something like baking soda and OdorMute in an open case and let it air out. It takes a while - sort of like "new car smell".

I never had any BAD odors in cases until the last 2 Epi LP cases I bought. I sent one back and kept the other one. It still smells a little, but I can live with it now.

I was wondering about the Gator 335 case too. I have a Sheraton and a Dot. I have the Epi 335 case, which by the way had no bad odor. My Sherry and Dot were sharing it. I couldn't get another one, I had one on back order for 6 months and I gave up. I bought a Gator 335 hard case. My Sherry wouldn't fit, but my Dot did. I sill had to do a little modifying of the case. I didn't like the angle that my neck went over the brace in the case, so I built it up under the body. It fits like a glove now.

Yeah' date=' Epi cases do seem to stink when new.

I have a Gator 335 case for my Sheraton, and not only does it not smell unpleasant, it's actually a pretty good case too.[/quote']

I bought a Joe Pass/Emperor 17" lower bout Epiphone case for my Levin from Musikborsen in Uppsala. It did not smell as is described in this thead or some of the other threads about the same issue......

This is my theory....

Disgruntled sweat shop workers all bring their cats to work and while they take a "very brief" break, laugh, while their cats piss in your guitar cases...

Just what I would do if I was in their position....

My TKL cases don't smell. I've got 4 of them.

But they DID at one point.

Everyones case stink when brand new. TKL, Gator, Georgia Case Company, all stink when new. Those who bought a "new" case that didn't stink, only did so cause they particular case they bought sat on a warehouse shelf for god knows how long and the stink dissipated before they got it. The stink is not brand specific, its all depends on how long ago it was manufactured.

But they DID at one point.

Everyones case stink when brand new. TKL' date=' Gator, Georgia Case Company, all stink when new. Those who bought a "new" case that didn't stink, only did so cause they particular case they bought sat on a warehouse shelf for god knows how long and the stink dissipated before they got it. The stink is not brand specific, its all depends on how long ago it was manufactured.[/quote']

This is true. I have no clue when they were manufactured. 3 were used, and one was new, but God knows how long it sat there.

You've just added to the growing list of abbreviations' date=' like HNGD,

and GAS, and IMHO...

"NCF" = New Case Funk!!!!

Eample: " I has "GAS", went to the local store, and "HNGD"!!!

IMHO, the hardshell has "NCF"..... Not LMAO.

[cool [cool] [cool]

And another one for your good self based on your recent thread entitled "Face-to-face with my Crack.....":

LAMOA

Looking at my own ar******

[blink]

Thanks, folks, for all of the responses to my post. My new, smelly 335 Epi hardshell case is currently airing out on my deck. I sprayed it with Frebreze and will leave it outside for the next few days. I was going to take it over to my local GC for a replacement, but since others have also had this issue, I'll just hold on to it. It's interesting that I experienced this issue with the 335 hardshell case, as I also own a relatively new Epi Les Paul standard and the hardshell case for that had no bad smell at all.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Archived