Gibson Brands Forums

question--has anybody ever seen humbucker rotated 180 degrees?

adhok

Has anybody ever seen humbucker rotated so that the pole piece are facing inward--away from the bridge and away from the neck? (not upside down.......) I got a guitar in trade and that's how they are. I'm thinking somebody took out the pickups and put them in wrong. Sounds great, (they're gibson 57's) but I'm going to put them pack to see how it should really sound.

Well, it has (famously) been done with the neck pick-up before. I believe some blues God or another tried it back in the 1960s.

green_peter.jpg

peter-green-les-paul.jpg

Supposedly produces a very distinctive nasal tone.

A bit like this:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

...not sure about the effect on the bridge pick-up though.

Well' date=' it has (famously) been done with the neck pick-up before. I believe some blues God or another tried it back in the 1960s.[/quote']

Turning the p_up around so that the S coil faces away from the FB won't create the nasal sound of Peter Green's

LP, the actual bar magnet has to be flipped.

There are many stories, or fables, about what rotating a neck position humbucker will, or will not, do.

The one thing that I can tell you hand on heart is, it won't recreate Peter Green's infamous sound.

To do that, is a whole different ball game. Dismantle your humbucker, flip the magnet,rebuild pickup and then, you are a lot nearer. Alternatively, if this sound appeals, but the thought of dismantling seems a bit too much, there are countless Pick Up Winders who have their own version of the Peter Green Pickup. Here in the UK we are blessed with "possibly" the closest recreation, from Bare Knuckles Pickups. But as I say, just about every Winder out there seems to have their own version and their own story about how this fabled pickup was first recreated.

There are many stories' date=' or fables, about what rotating a neck position humbucker will, or will not, do.

The one thing that I can tell you hand on heart is, it won't recreate Peter Green's infamous sound.

To do that, is a whole different ball game. Dismantle your humbucker, flip the magnet,rebuild pickup and then, you are a lot nearer. Alternatively, if this sound appeals, but the thought of dismantling seems a bit too much, there are countless Pick Up Winders who have their own version of the Peter Green Pickup. Here in the UK we are blessed with "possibly" the closest recreation, from Bare Knuckles Pickups. But as I say, just about every Winder out there seems to have their own version and their own story about how this fabled pickup was first recreated.[/quote']

Yes. Flipping the magnet will put the S coil and the N coil out of phase with the other bridge p_up . That

will give you the nasal sound. You can also do it by splitting the coils and flipping the S coil windings

through a push-pull or a toggle switch on 4 wire p_ups.

T'is all good.

I had a set of BKP Peter Greens in a Standard that I got for a song on Fleecum Bay a few years ago. Perhaps strangely, I actually found that I very rarely used that sound. BUT, ironically, the set of Pickups that the Peter Green Set is based off, have now become by far and away my favourite pickups of all time. Very Low Output and absolutely storming if you are into the Classic 60's and early 70's Blues, Blues Rock. Really lets the guitar's natural Tone shine through and every set I have had thus far have that glorious "Bloom" to the note, so a very happy chap.[biggrin]

Its been done to brighten up a neck HB or cut down the treble at the bridge PU.

Does it work? Well some claim with the right picking' date=' it helps.

I like a P90 with an HB combo, so don't go by me![biggrin

I love the P90 combo as well.

I need more pics of your Joe Pass, shes purty [biggrin]

There are many stories' date=' or fables, about what rotating a neck position humbucker will, or will not, do.

To do that, is a whole different ball game. Dismantle your humbucker, flip the magnet,rebuild pickup and then, you are a lot nearer. Alternatively, if this sound appeals, but the thought of dismantling seems a bit too much, there are countless Pick Up Winders who have their own version of the Peter Green Pickup. Here in the UK we are blessed with "possibly" the closest recreation, from Bare Knuckles Pickups. But as I say, just about every Winder out there seems to have their own version and their own story about how this fabled pickup was first recreated.[/quote']

I have bought a set of pickups from a winder called Jon Moore (I went for a low wound set of "Tres Hombres")

I also went for a harness that will allow me to split the buckers and put them "out of phase" and "in series" just waiting on a Luthier at the moment...

Jon does a PG set called "Manalishi"

Manalishi: Vintage wind with out of phase middle position. I’m going to offer this in two styles. 8.6k bridge with an 8.2k neck and a 7.8k bridge with a 7.6k neck ( approximately). I can do a reverse polarity neck ( magnet flip) or a reverse wound neck. I figure this way I’ll avoid all the controversy over the true PG sound. Your choice of magnet.

http://www.tonefordays.com/html/j_s_moore_custom_guitar_pickup.html

I think Jon's work is excellent and his price was right for me.....great guy to communicate with as well...

Turning the p_up around so that the S coil faces away from the FB won't create the nasal sound of Peter Green's

LP' date=' the actual bar magnet has to be flipped.[/quote']

Interesting to know that Caverman, thanks.

Makes me think though - I've read in several books and guitar magazines that the Green humbucker was a fluke - the pick-up being replaced the wrong way around by an inattentive guitar tech. I guess that myth is busted. I can understand putting a pick-up in upside down, but you could hardly start tinkering with the position of the magnets on accident.

Interesting to know that Caverman' date=' thanks.

Makes me think though - I've read in several books and guitar magazines that the Green humbucker was a fluke - the pick-up being replaced the wrong way around by an inattentive guitar tech. I guess that myth is busted. I can understand putting a pick-up in upside down, but you could hardly start tinkering with the position of the magnets on accident.

[/quote']

You just mis-read what they were saying in the mags, the tech rewound the pickup and replaced the magnet the wrong way round.

Dang, that Antoria's purty! Epiphone got the contours and the f-holes wrong, and it makes a huge difference in the look of the guitar. And that sunburst is one of the nicest I've seen, too!

Interesting to know that Caverman' date=' thanks.

[/quote']

It may have been a fluke at the time, because in those days, musicians were not into

experimenting as much as they are now. So whether that particular neck pickup

was worked on and the magnet flipped (which is very easy to do, if you don't

mark each side with a marking pen before removing it)..

...it will be there, either by accident.. or on purpose....

and you will get the out of phase sound on Peter Green's 59 LP Standard),

(which later on became Gary Moore's 59 LP Standard).

The picture in my LP book shows the neck p_up installed with pole pieces reversed.

Rumour has it that the magnet was flipped as well by a tech that worked on that

guitar)..or the other possibilty that Gibson (at the factory) substituted a middle pickup

from an 3 p_up LP Custom (Black Beauty) for the neck position in that particular 59

standard. It seems to add to the myth and mojo of that particular LP.

On the LP Black Beauty, the middle p_up was done this way to add more tone coloration due to the mixing

of the phasing between the middle and treble p_ups. Apparently Gibson also wired

the stereo 345 and 355 models with these flipped magnet rhythm p_ups to

get that "honky" sound in the rhythm position..

Well, at least according to my book on the Les Paul guitar.

Archived