Gibson Brands Forums

opinions on the les paul classic

bigdaddy496

yeah cuz mine isnt too great right now

i just bought one in ebony with the nickel hard ware. the first thing i noticed was it was light, which i found weird. i havent been able to get my hands on any newer les pauls so i had no idea they had reduced their weight. another thing i noticed and i wonder if its just the way the guitar is set up, it doesnt sustain like a les paul. also the neck seems small. i dont know, maybe i should have gone after an older one, the situation behind myself buying this guitar is gonna seem very odd.

the guitar is here with me in iraq, im a soldier whos deployed and figured i would have enough time learn me some real guitar. i had a epiphone les paul standard about 10 years ago and that thing was better than this in some ways.

anyway, i dunno maybe this is more of a rant.

major props to all of our servicemen

but about your guitar

alot of newer les pauls arnt build like most les pauls of the past, they have their own advantages, and their own disadvantages

the les paul classic has a smaller "60s" style neck, where as the 50s style neck is bigger

what else do you want to know?

It all depends on what you want from your Les Paul. When I bought my Les Paul Premium Plus, I had tried the Classic, but it sounded too 'thin' to me. However, it has a slimmer neck and feels lighter.

I'm a 'built' guy so I can deal witht the weight of my guitar. A slighter built person would probably prefer to use a Classic due to the thinner neck and lighter weight. But, you know, your guitar tone essentially tends to come from your attack, so it may well be worthstaying with it and learning to love it.

Alternatively, you ought to A B it next to a Les Paul Standard and see which you like best...

Shouldn't you be ducking bullets if you're in Iraq?

If it's a new Classic, than the guitar is basically hollow. It's called chambering.

Sustain, well that has nothing to do with the chambering. Each guitar is different. Some are better than others.

The neck seems small because Classic's have thin necks.

In fact, I think that neck was made for girls...lol! Sorry Axe, I couldn't resist!

All kidding aside, there are so many variants in the Les Paul line that somebody buying one should do their homework before they make a purchase. If you don't like the guitar, see if you can return it for a different Les Paul.

hard to find one here in iraq to compare it to lol. also when i leave here i go home to germany, and the germans have TONS of copies, all of which sound like crap, so it will be even harder to find something to compare it ot.

but yeah, i want to get good at guitar, but im still basically a beginner whos a big time gear nut, so i have a orange 30r amp, a bunch of pedals and no real starting point. i have internet so that might help, but where do you guys recomend i start from? i mean, im kinda lost here. thanks!

but where do you guys recomend i start from? i mean' date=' im kinda lost here. thanks![/quote']

Start with gibson.com and gibsoncustom.com.

If you want my recommendation on a guitar, buy a reissue Les Paul. They cost a lot more than the Classic you bought, but they are the best! There's a new Les Paul Traditional that has people talking. Actually, that's probably the guitar you're looking for.

Hold on a second, you bought a Gibson in Iraq? How do you know it's real? I can't see the worlds best guitars making it to Iraq...cars yes, guitars no.

Gotta agree with Tim, but additionally, I feel compelled to add that I would strip away all the pedals and play the guitar clean through the Orange amp to find a tone that appeals to my ears. Then I would add the effects and tweak them to my taste.

I also always play a guitar 'unplugged' and listen carefully to the tone and how it sustains. Basically, it has to make me feel good. I know this sounds weird, but it really works for me!

In Iraq?

Give 'em HELL!

Thank you for your service.

I would love to buy you the ice-cold adult beverage of your choice, so get home safe...

I own a 2000 Classic Plus (nicer top) and from day one I HATED the way it sounded due to the ceramic pickups.

I recommend putting a set of 57 Classics in it, maybe a Classic Plus in the bridge to make it a little hotter.

The neck is indeed the 60 Slim Taper, my preference.

Depending on how old yours is, there may be alot of wood removed. 2007 is when they started gutting them.

Unplug all the pedals, put some good pickups in it, and see what that gets you...

I would love to buy you the ice-cold adult beverage of your choice' date=' so get home safe...[/quote']

+1 - Come home safe.

I have a 2007 Classic and like it quite a bit. I did replace the pickups however. I think unless you want a really heavy, high gain sound, the ceramics are just too hot. Many folks here (though not all) will agree with that. The 57s are a popular choice as are the BurstBucker Pros. I went with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups myself - still rockin but not as screamin' hot as the stock Classic pups.

Get home safe and you can go pickup shopping!

The 57s are a popular choice as are the BurstBucker Pros.

I went with BB Pro's and I wish I had put 57 Classics in it.

BB's are cool, but actually a little weak. I feel like I neutered my Les Paul.

I have 57's in several other guitars, they are unbeatable in my opinion.

+2 on the safe return! And thanks, for your service! But, DO come back safe!

Love my "Classic"...AS IS! One can always "mod" to their own personal tastes,

as they see fit, later. And, too...all Les Pauls are a bit different, even in the same

model. So, don't give up on it, just yet. A good set-up, different strings, or pickup

adjustments, may be all it really needs? So, hang in there!

CB

Not sure how much the Classic has changed in the last few years, but seems odd there would be that much of a diff in weight. But every year has some minor variances, not to mention no two guitars play or sound exactly the same. As far as the neck goes......slim-tapered ROCKS!!=P~

Btw, keep the faith out there, and God Bless. ;)

P2150003.jpg

Hold on a second' date=' you bought a Gibson in Iraq? How do you know it's real? I can't see the worlds best guitars making it to Iraq...cars yes, guitars no.[/quote']

absolutely not, musicians friend. they ship anywhere it seems, including apo addresses =P~

I never really cared for stock Classics. I guess I don't like the Gibson ceramic pickups. But two years ago, I found a Classic where the orignal owner had swapped the stocks for a Fralin 8k/9k set, and the guitar has everything you want in a vintage sounding Les Paul. Yes, I own it now.

I must have the only classic that sound good . WTF ' date=' ?

Maybe it's the color . And extreme mass .[/quote']

Think it's called kahones!

Axe, I feel for ya.

Everybody says Classics are crap, over and over again...and you're that one guy with a good one.

That makes 2 out of two thousand ' date='

Is she [i']really [/i]heavy , mine weighs a metric ton !

Nope - 8 lbs - chambered. Great natural sustain and very smooth sounding. Different than my 10 lb standard? Yes, but I like it.

While I haven't been real vocal about it, I am not sure I am buying the whole "Les Paul shall be heavy" thing. Should I duck now? B)

Archived