Gibson Brands Forums

Been Working On My Alleykat

Elias Graves

Here's an original pic...

HPIM0639.jpg

So, I replaced the bridge pickup with a BG Pure 90. Best P90 on the market if you ask me. No hum at all out this monster.

HPIM0664.jpg

In my experience, though, the weakest link in any Epi is the crummy pots, so out they came. In went some nice CTS pots. 500k audio for the master, 500k audio for the mini hum, 300k audio for the P90 volume, 500k linear with a cool Russian paper in oil .022 cap for tone.

HPIM0755.jpg

Never been a fan of Gibson knobs, so off they came and on went some classic tele style chrome jobbies.

HPIM0757.jpg

The stock Grover rotos were OK, but the D and G kept slipping flat. So, to go with an old school vibe, I installed some 18:1 Grover Statites.

HPIM0760.jpg

The sound has improved markedly. The new pots and cap were the best thing for it. Much of the wet blanket syndrome went away.

EG

I found the Grovers here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_18:1_Sta-Tites.html

The 18:1 holds a lot better than the stock 14:1 models did.

Yeah, it has some unique mods. I'm still looking for the right mini for the neck position.

I'm debating redoing the wiring to install a varitone. Haven't decided on that yet.

EG

Archived