Gibson Brands Forums

Got a question regarding amps & speakers & my Dot Guitar

oscardelgato

Hello everybody at the forum: I own a Epiphone Dot guitar & a 50 watt Marshall MG Series amp. I wanted to get a bigger, fuller sound for myself. So I thought I could add on a extension cabinet to my set-up. Do you think that this could be done? I am not familiar with add-ons, etc. to help out my gear but I figured someone has had this problem before here at the forum. So can anyone help me out here. I do know that I will need a speaker cable but I don`t know if my amp can handle it. Plus a friend told me that my Dot does not have high output pick-ups to do the job. I really don`t know what to think anymore so if someone can advise me I sure would appreciate it. Thanks. Peace to everyone.-- Oscar

Hey fellow San Antonian!

I'm sorry, but when you say bigger and fuller that's a little vague. Did you mean more clean headroom? More volume? Tighter bottom end?

I don't think adding a cabinet would do much other than give you more volume. I think the solution lies in your amp or choice of one. I've never played a Marshall MG but from what I do know they're solid state amps (if I'm wrong correct me). If you want a "fuller or bigger" sound, tube is the only way to go.

EDIT: I read some reviews. The general consensus is that the MG series amplifiers are not really that great. Of course, YMMV

I think the solution lies in your amp or choice of one. I've never played a Marshall MG but from what I do know they're solid state amps (if I'm wrong correct me). If you want a "fuller or bigger" sound' date=' tube is the only way to go.

EDIT: I read some reviews. The general consensus is that the MG series amplifiers are not really that great. Of course, YMMV[/quote']

You're right and wrong. A Marshall MG is NOT a Marshall. They sound like crap in a can to be completely honest. Not much you can do there. BUT the whole tube thing....

Guys, for less than $1000, 90% of the SS amps out there are gonna kill toobe amps at the same price. And honestly, if you want a HUGE sound, SS is the way to go. The very nature of a tube amp compresses the sound, reducing the mentioned hugeness. A SS amp won't do this.

EDIT: I appear to have stumbled upon a soapbox. Well, seeing as this is the bible belt...

Sure, I have a bunch of tube amps, but wanna know a secret? I also have a bunch of SS amps. They each have their place, and both are better than the other at some things. The trick is getting a QUALITY amp, be it tube or SS. 90% of the amps made today, nearly all the modeling, and "boutique" and "small wattage all toob" amps today are junk. Not all, but most.

Decide what sound YOU want to make, then go find yourself a good amp that makes it. The only time you'll do this at Guitar Center is when you find a used gem that they don't carry. Stray off the beaten path and you can wind up with a pleasant surprise.

Think of this, the internet is full of people playing the same amps, same guitars, and same songs, *****ing about how their tone sucks this or their guitar buzzes that. There are forums dedicated to the art of making these hideous creatures shriek a little more pleasant to our ears. And everywhere you go, people are complaining about the same old amps and same old guitars. Trying crazy voodoo spells to get some good tone out of them. Paying crazy amounts for vintage pickups cause they want to emulate some old RECORDING they have. HELLO??? Ever done any recording yourself? The very act of recording (especially back then) imparted a ton of color on the sounds and destroyed a large part of it in the process. They are in no way accurate representation as to what these guitars and amps actually sounded like in the room in front of the player. And this is before any post production manipulation was done to the sound, further distorting the original signal.

Hey Peanut Gallery!!!!

I say to hell with all that. Don't buy a XXXX or a XXXX. Go out and find YOUR tone. Build your own guitar, not from a kit, but a fugging tree. Make your own amp from the DigiKey catalog. But don't think you need "Toobs" or a "4x12 stack" or the "Dead Legends Name Here Signature Edition Bonafide Electrical Guitar" to sound good. Everyone already has that and they sound like garbage. I hear about it every day, I read about it every day, don't you? And you know why? Because they don't even know what it is they are looking for. They may think they know, but they are fooled by the recording they are trying to emulate with a live guitar. They never have even HEARD the guitar they're trying to sound like. Gel on that a little while.

And you don't have to go making your own stuff. Thats a whole new skillset unto itself. But at least break the mold and try something NEW for gods sake. Music is all about innovation and expression anyways. How expressive is it to just repeat what the person before you just said?

You're right and wrong. A Marshall MG is NOT a Marshall. They sound like crap in a can to be completely honest. Not much you can do there. BUT the whole tube thing....

Guys' date=' for less than $1000, 90% of the SS amps out there are gonna kill toobe amps at the same price. And honestly, if you want a HUGE sound, SS [i']is[/i] the way to go. The very nature of a tube amp compresses the sound, reducing the mentioned hugeness. A SS amp won't do this.

EDIT: I appear to have stumbled upon a soapbox. Well, seeing as this is the bible belt...

Sure, I have a bunch of tube amps, but wanna know a secret? I also have a bunch of SS amps. They each have their place, and both are better than the other at some things. The trick is getting a QUALITY amp, be it tube or SS. 90% of the amps made today, nearly all the modeling, and "boutique" and "small wattage all toob" amps today are junk. Not all, but most.

Decide what sound YOU want to make, then go find yourself a good amp that makes it. The only time you'll do this at Guitar Center is when you find a used gem that they don't carry. Stray off the beaten path and you can wind up with a pleasant surprise.

Think of this, the internet is full of people playing the same amps, same guitars, and same songs, *****ing about how their tone sucks this or their guitar buzzes that. There are forums dedicated to the art of making these hideous creatures shriek a little more pleasant to our ears. And everywhere you go, people are complaining about the same old amps and same old guitars. Trying crazy voodoo spells to get some good tone out of them. Paying crazy amounts for vintage pickups cause they want to emulate some old RECORDING they have. HELLO??? Ever done any recording yourself? The very act of recording (especially back then) imparted a ton of color on the sounds and destroyed a large part of it in the process. They are in no way accurate representation as to what these guitars and amps actually sounded like in the room in front of the player. And this is before any post production manipulation was done to the sound, further distorting the original signal.

Hey Peanut Gallery!!!!

I say to hell with all that. Don't buy a XXXX or a XXXX. Go out and find YOUR tone. Build your own guitar, not from a kit, but a fugging tree. Make your own amp from the DigiKey catalog. But don't think you need "Toobs" or a "4x12 stack" or the "Dead Legends Name Here Signature Edition Bonafide Electrical Guitar" to sound good. Everyone already has that and they sound like garbage. I hear about it every day, I read about it every day, don't you? And you know why? Because they don't even know what it is they are looking for. They may think they know, but they are fooled by the recording they are trying to emulate with a live guitar. They never have even HEARD the guitar they're trying to sound like. Gel on that a little while.

And you don't have to go making your own stuff. Thats a whole new skillset unto itself. But at least break the mold and try something NEW for gods sake. Music is all about innovation and expression anyways. How expressive is it to just repeat what the person before you just said?

Idk about under a 1k SS amps killing Tube...

That completely eliminates the used and vintage market.

I bought my 1992 Peavey Classic 50 in 2006 and the thing kicks major ***.

Recently got to play a JTM 45, a Tweed Deluxe, Vox AC30, a Vox Night Train (it was also awesome) and a Fender Twin Reverb.

I still liked mine more, and believe me I wanted to like any on of those more, I did all my research and all that jazz and when it came down to just ears and my Dot... the PV C50 is the way to go.

I payed $320 for it in 2006 and it runs amazingly and I haven't had to put new tubes in it yet.

just my $0.02 though, maybe your experience is different

best amp ever bought or owned so far was my Vox ad120vxt, 2x12(neo dogs) 120watts, hybrid tube/ss, the thing just screams and never did I ever have an issue with my tone with this amp and its a shame ......a damn shame that Vox discontinued them and started making there new crappy valetronixs with the metal grill, mine has the old blue diamond cloth, I think its a jem that alot of people dont know about, and finding them used is hard to do, i know ive looked to get another !!!!!, my only problem is if anyting goes wrong with this amp I dont know where to bring it to get it fixed, ive opened it up one time and its crazzzy in there!

and on another note, all amps do have there place, when i first got into guitars back in the mid 90's my dad tryed to pick it back up and he went to get this the Musicians Friend store ( the one in new orleans was called this for about 2 years before it became a GC) and he got himself a nice little Rouge amp , its tweed , has a 12, and has real reverb tank in there ( i know because I would kick it for some super surf jamn) any who, it was a 2 cannel not sure of the wattage but the overdrive channel SUCKKED, sounded like a bad pedal i dunno, but the cleans channel........WOW i still have it and use it for that mainly recording and stuff but its one of the cleanest of the cleannnss I have ever heard out of an amp,

and on another note, my sis works in Nashvegas for a few record companies, she brought some work friends down for mardi gras and they came to our apt and all i had down there was my lil danelectro honey tone amp, its like $15 4in tall and plasitc maybe has a 2 in speaker in it??? but i played for there sound eng, and one of the studio guit players, they fell in love with its tone , plugged the harp into..they freaked out...then its headphone out into my stereo system thats got 2 vintage kentwoods with 15's in em!!! and they realllly freaked out........I brought them to gutiar center and they both bought one

I hate guitars and amps, because there so Dang many of em and u never know what will make your knees week and what will make your ears bleed until u try all of them!!!!!! so the quest continues

I mainly use Vox amps, I have an AC30 and a VT30 - the VT gets used the most (neighbours!) but I also have a couple of Marshall MG's (30DFX and 15CDR) the 15CDR is pretty poor but I really like the 30DFX. I know its not a 'proper' Marshall but I do like it. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it is the best amp in the world but I enjoy it. Neither of the Marshall's cost me much and I didn't expect much but with the 30DFX I am happy to have it.

In conclusion - the MG's not great but a used/cheap one could be a laugh.

As usual just my opinion.

7C

Thanks everybody for your humble opinions, I really appreciate your thoughts and sympathy regarding my equipment. But first of all, I am happy with the tone I get from my Marshall 50 watt MG Series amp. This is what I can afford for now and no matter what anyone thinks I am content with what it provides soundwise for me. I cannot afford some of these amps you guys mentioned. Remember I am not a pro just a bedroom player like a lot of us out there. You guys imply that top dollar gear is the way to go but I find that everybody`s sound comes from the heart. No matter the price you paid for your gear, you do the best you can with what you have. If you can afford a Gibson- then great. All I can afford is an Epiphone. I will never play a concert hall or even a club. I accept that cause I have a life- and I am in my late 50`s so I do this for the sounds I hear in my head & I will continue to do so till the end. I think most of us are just happy to please ourselves with the gear we have, we are not out for awards or accolades from the majority of the forum users. Be happy with what you got. Remember whether you drive a cadillac or a Toyota (like me) all that really matters if you get to your destination. Of course somebody is bound to disagree with me but take it out on your guitar and enjoy yourself in the process. I would never cut anybody`s opinion of their gear like some of you guys have done- that`s just not cool. I play for myself and I just want to get better because I learn things everyday that are useful and some things take longer. Let me close in saying that I all I asked for " was it possible to add a speaker cabinet to my existing amp". If I could get some opinions as to what kind of speakers could go with it,etc. I did`nt want to hear your thoughts on my gear. We are so quick to judge- what are we 9 year olds? Thanks for the opportunity to reply to all that put their 2 cents in. Next time I want your opinions- I will ask for them. Your Friend, Oscar

If you can afford a Gibson- then great. All I can afford is an Epiphone.

Next time I want your opinions- I will ask for them. Your Friend' date=' Oscar[/quote']

I have NEVER said quality and the name on the label go together. Gibson makes some garbage guitars as well you know. And the marshall MG is just another manufacturers amp rebranded Marshall and twice as much as they sell it for.. You paid for the name is all. My point is you can get better QUALITY if you stray away from the big names sometimes. Try something new.

And anytime you post ANYTHING on an internet forum, it IS asking for opinions. If you don't want others opinions, don't say anything in a public forum. You are free to not ask questions if you are afraid of getting an answer you don't like.

Hello everybody at the forum: I own a Epiphone Dot guitar & a 50 watt Marshall MG Series amp. I wanted to get a bigger' date=' fuller sound for myself. So I thought I could add on a extension cabinet to my set-up. Do you think that this could be done? I am not familiar with add-ons, etc. to help out my gear but I figured someone has had this problem before here at the forum. So can anyone help me out here. I do know that I will need a speaker cable but I don`t know if my amp can handle it. Plus a friend told me that my Dot does not have high output pick-ups to do the job. I really don`t know what to think anymore so if someone can advise me I sure would appreciate it. Thanks. Peace to everyone.-- Oscar[/quote']

I think you can get more volume with the same tone, by adding the extension cabinet if that's what you are looking for. You mentioned the pickups in your DOT - actually they aren't bad pickups at all. I own a DOT as well (absolutely love it) and planned to change the pickups, but ended up (due to overwhelming response on this forum) just replacing the volume, tone pots, and the selector with stuff from CTS and it has a made a noticeable difference. At some point I will upgrade the pickups to SDs, but for now I am good with the stock models.

Not too familiar with your amp, however, if it has a jack for an extension, adding one can change your sound quite a bit. Replacing the speaker or adding an effect pedal can do that as well.

If more volume is what you're after, then a bigger cab, say a 2x12 will give you that. Different speakers have different voices as well. A simple speaker swap might do what you want. Some speakers emphasize mids, lows or highs depending on the model.

An effect pedal, particularly something like a Tech 21 character series, can change up your sound a lot. Go listen to some of their clips at the website and see if they have something you might like.

EG

Again I find myself having to defend my gear. Attention Musikron, I have alot of respect for your opinions but I have to get back to my original question and that is "can I add a speaker cabinet to my existing amp". That would be a yes or no, then assist me in what I should or should`nt do. Can`t you just answer that question. And not elaborate on my gear. I don`t mind constructive criticism but you keep dwelling on the gear I own or lack of it. Come on man just answer my question, what would you do if you were in my shoes. I am not going to spend more money that I don`t have. I just want to add a speaker cabinet. Is that possible? Be helpful- not critical. I would`nt run you down if you did`nt have what I have. I believe Winterland was close to what I expected. But so many of you guys are not being helpful- give me a break. I wish you all the best. But I expected more from the rest of you. See you later.--Oscar

Assuming it's the MG50FX then, having downloaded the user manual (which is always a good place to start) from the Marshall website, it says

MG50FX

The single Loudspeaker socket (22) is used to connect

either the internal speaker or an external speaker

cabinet to the unit’s power amp. When using external

cabinets ensure the total load impedance is equal to,

exceeds, 8 ohms.

So you can either use the built in speaker or you can connect an external cab as long as the cab impedance is 8 Ohm.

Thanks everybody that answered the question. I have been looking into just what "wiggy" has been writing about. That was what I was looking for, no more- no less. I did`nt get a manual when I bought the amp. I looked at the Marshall web-site but I really wanted to know if anyone here at the forum had added a extra cabinet as well. I figured that my fellow guitar players must have been down this road as well. I will take all your opinions to heart. I have learned a little from everyone today- good and bad. Sometimes I feel that not all of us are on the same path here but I wish you all the best. I will look into purchasing a ext. cabinet if it is within my price range. Then go from there. Peace to all you earthlings out there.-- Oscar

Be aware that the speakers have about the biggest impact on tone besides the preamp stage. A great cab for one amp sucks on another. Take your guitar and amp shopping with you, and never trust the panel on a used cab. People re-wire them all the time to run at different ohms. Pop the back off that sucker and confirm the configuration before you plug it in. Wattage is less important, but you'll want a low wattage cab seeing as how you are only pushing about 30 to the speaker under realistic conditions.

Also, don't think you HAVE to go with 12's. Depending on what you like to play and the cab itself, I often feel tens and fifteens provide better tone. YMMV, just don't be afraid to be unconventional. I LOVE playing my guitar through a guitar AND bass amp.

Thanks everybody for your input. This is exactly what I needed to know. I was thinking that maybe I would need an impedance type of unit. I am glad that I don`t have to invest in something like this. My brother asked if I do purchase a ext. cabinet it will require a electrical cord to work. Is this true? I don`t really think I do but I need someone else to back me up. God bless you all for your advice (even you - Musikron) I appreciate your musings more than you know. Peace.

If you want to use both the OEM internal speaker and a cab at the same time you will need some form of impedance matcher. If you want to use one or the other then all you need is a decent speaker lead (make sure you buy a speaker lead and not an instrument lead - easy mistake to make) and the cab of course.

You won't need a power cord.

Actually you asking the question made me think - an option which hasn't been discussed would be to get another SS amp and a line splitter or a powered speaker (powered monitor or powered PA speaker) and drive that from the line out of the MG. Could cost you about the same as the extension cab and would give you the extra oomph you're looking for.

Archived