Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD! Epi ES-175 Reissue

mrw1960

I saw this on CL outside of Washington,DC that was posted two days ago.I called the guy and he sent some pics via email. Made the Hour and half drive and got to play it on a Fender '65 Twin Reverb reissue he had. Picked it up for $300.00 used with OHSC. When I got home did the Serial lookup. Manufactured April of 2006 at the Saein Plant in Korea,lot 4050. First of all there is NOT one scratch or ding on this!! I've been gassing for one for some time. I bought my Wildkat last year and it was a decision to get one of these or the Kat due to spending. I saw this, played it, Love it, now I GOT ONE! Sounds awesome through my BC 30. I am already thinking of a PUP swap from some threads I've read about the Gibby '57 Classic's that people have done. A '57 Classic at neck and '57 Classic Plus on bridge? I'd like some of you Full Hollowbody Archtop guys for advice. I want to keep it as "Jazzy" as possible. Not too much growl. I'm mostly Blues, but have been bitten by the Jazz guitar bug. One reason I got this..I put a set of D'Addario EXL-115's on it. Maybe higher gauge? Sounds excellent. I am very pleased to say the least!!!!!!

Michael

img00821n.jpg

img0083d.jpg

img0084pf.jpg

[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Very very nice.

The usual swap out is for Gibby classic 57's.

As for strings, I use D'Addario XL Chromes, flatwounds, 13-56

Really brings some life out of the guitar.

And take the protective cushion out from under the bridge. Guy must not have played very much for that to still be there.

That guitar is beautiful

Very pleased for you Michael

that is a guitar that would grace any collection...

Congratulation on your new acquisition.....

Elias and Cooper. Thanks for the nice words. I've been playin it all day! Yes' date=' I'm about to get the "57's for it. Also checking into the pot swaps Thanks friends...[blink

No doubt a great score. I played an Indonesian build a couple of years ago at Daddy's it just didn't have it, so good to hear this MIK version is doin' it for you. Congratulations!

On the jazz tone, not that a pickup change wouldn't help, but I think a bigger deal will be what amp you play it through. Perhaps you have the right one already in your stable. But I find as I search for particular tones the amp is a bigger factor. Hard to admit but it's true, many jazz players, especially recent, use solid state amps. I have a Henriksen Jazzamp 10R combo that really does a nice job. I just got a Swart tube amp that also does a great job, but for straight up jazz the Henriksen's hard to beat. The Polytone Minibrute is of course a favorite of many. But it's not that this solid state or that tube (Fender Deluxe Reverb?) amp will give you "the jazz tone", but rather I suggest that as you search for your version of the jazz tone, don't be afraid to try different amps, and don't underestimate the importance of the amp in getting that tone.

For strings, heavy is better [biggrin] Thomastik Infeld Bebop (round wound) or Jazz flats, 13-52.

Have fun!

Sweet! Great box, great price, nice find. Sambooka knows his stuff, follow his suggestion about pups, and teegar is right about finding your own sound. And smips65 has given me very valuable advise too. I just ordered a Polytone Mega-Brute, but the Henriksen is a nice choice as well. Then again, the Deluxe Reverb is a good for a variety of tones and styles. I use Thomastik 11s on my Zephry Regent for now, Thomastik 13s on my LP.

Enjoy your new toy...

Thanks a million from you all, Much appreciation. Currently I have a Epi BC 30, and also a Line 6 Spider III. I have 2 other amps also. Believe me the Line 6 makes this sound very nice. I just bought a set of '57 classics yesterday, I know of a reputable luthier I can get to swap them. I am changing the nut to a Graph Tech also. Yea, it was quite a bargain. Some mods will do it a world of good. Thanks.....[crying]

Michael

I found some older threads about mods on the 175 in regards to Pot & Cap changes. Some recommended CTS or Alpha, and Sprague Vitamin Q caps. I need some help here. I am not electronically,mechanically able to do these swaps to a guitar. Just would like to know what pots and caps to get,what types, and where to get them. [crying] thanks

Michael

Michael

Read my experience similar to yours on the link

http://www.josephcooper.eu/rewiring-my-epiphone-joe-pass.html

and just imagine instead of the SD's you use your 57's

(though you could get a set of specially handwound cheaper http://www.tonefordays.com/ [crying] )

I sent David at mojotone this template and he made a modified Mojotone 335 assembly to fit my Joe Pass no extra cost.

(Sold the JP to get my Zephyr but that JP was awesome Michael sold it for $625 to guy who plays just Jazz in his 60's and he loves the guitar.)

here is the template I sent to Mojotone just take the measurements the same and send David an e-mail.

joe-pass-assembly-plan.jpg

Good luck

Archived