Gibson Brands Forums

What a suprise!

Fantana

I took my LP Custom to the tech today and saw this................

IMG_8668.jpg

IMG_8669.jpg

IMG_8671.jpg

IMG_8674.jpg

IMG_8675.jpg

IMG_8678.jpg

IMG_8685.jpg

Yes that's right, it's my Goldtop! I had no idea that he was this far into the build, it's just the most beautiful thing that I've ever seen, the hand-carved maple top is just awesome [crying] I just had to show you guys these pics.

It should be ready by august but I'm suffering from some serious GAS now!!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guitar is being completely hand built by Andy Viccars in Bletchley, Milton Keynes (yes the Marshall factory is just down the road). I'm paying in the region of £1400 for the guitar. The fretboard is Madagascan rosewood, I guess my camera flash gave it a purple tinge. It's a R4 replica so the neck tenon is staying true to 50's specs, plus I'm

not fussed about it anyway!

I'll upload photos as I get them so you can follow it's progress

Not too bad for a handbuild LP. Looks good so far.

AGREED! Get pix if he'll let you, tell him it's for

World-Wide viewing....(heh, heh) ADVERTISING

for FREE and all that! If he does a bang-up job, it's

possible other forum members will contact him for

various projects/work...

It's going to be absolutely BEAUTIFUL !!

A hand-built custom LP for less than a mass-produced Gibson.

Now THATS what I call a deal!!

+1' date='000!!!

Also I stand behind this ''tell him it's free world-wide advertising'' thing. Hell yeah! If I had EUR 2,000 lying around I would rather have my hand-built Les Paul R7 or Traditional with my specs / pickups than the mass-produced Gibby... Perhaps we should consider the guy for (the long-term... [biggrin ) future.

We are indeed fortunate that we are blessed with some extraordinarily fine Luthiers in this country.

I have had 4 guitars hand made for me over the years and each one has become a very treasured item. The amount of flexibility this allows is something that, to my mind, makes the whole experience so worth while. It does have to be said that exposure on the web does have its benefits too. 2 of my own designed guitars garnered so much interest that they have now become a staple part of my chap's range.

Very exciting times and I shall be following this with great interest, especially as you are going for my most favourite LP of all.[biggrin]

For those that don't know, here is what is being built...........

14706536.jpg

It's having a few 'personal' changes to it:-

- Wine red back and neck

- SD Antiquity P-90

- Compensated wrap-around bridge

I will get pics whenever I'm over there, oh and he's also doing a '59 burst so I'll get some of that too

For those that don't know' date=' here is what is being built...........

[img']http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae222/thezumes/14706536.jpg[/img]

It's having a few 'personal' changes to it:-

- Wine red back and neck

- SD Antiquity P-90

- Compensated wrap-around bridge

I will get pics whenever I'm over there, oh and he's also doing a '59 burst so I'll get some of that too

So kind of like a Junior but more badass?

So kind of like a Junior but more badass?

I haven't thought of it like that! I just saw this pic once and fell in love with it's simplicity, P-90 Goldtops have always been my vice and the Gibson one is super-rare, only 25. Once mine is ready I will post a review for you guys.

Interesting.

And affordable too.

Wish I had known about these as I had the opportunity to visit Prague twice 2 years ago (for work, but I did get to see a bit of the city).

Anyway, they look interesting, but I have just read a few mixed reviews.

How do you find yours?

Wish I had known about these as I had the opportunity to visit Prague twice 2 years ago (for work' date=' but I did get to see a bit of the city).

Anyway, they look interesting, but I have just read a few mixed reviews.

How do you find yours?[/quote']

First off. Sorry for sidetracking your wonderfull thread Fantana!

I understand the mixed reviews. My Bach LP Junior happens to be one of my favourite guitars to play. It's big and ballsy sounding, with excellent sustain and that's with one generic Wilkinson P-90 pickup and hardware comparable to Epi. I'll put it up to any Gibby LP and... I'll probably loose. But I'll do it laughing out loud all the while pointing at the pricetag.

After some intense modding my 2 Bach LPs sound more like a LP to me than any chambered/weightrelieved Gibson.

What makes these Bachs interesting is the base quality of these guitars as in wood and construction is far surpassing Epis for a fraction of the cost. Remember these guys used to be traditional furniture makers. Assembly of electronics/parts can be shitpoor. But if you know your way around guitars and are willing to put some time in, you've got yourself an excellent deal.

My LP Goldtop Esquire has got to be one of my favourites to play. Except for the bridge it's pretty similar.

ricochet-albums-rich-gearpix-picture4263-bach-lp-junior-lp-goldtop-esquire.jpg

Ricochet - Where can I order one of those? I googled and came up with nothing. I love it! It looks stunning!

• 1 month later...

Update!

Went to pick up my green LP today (it had my usual electronic upgrades etc and had a P94 installed in the bridge which is just awesome) and I took some more photos of my custom-built LP.

The neck has been glued in place and the routing of the control and pickup cavities has been done along with drilling the bridge post holes. The next step is fine sanding before he starts to paint her!

IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8796.jpg

IMG_8798.jpg

IMG_8797.jpg

Archived