Gibson Brands Forums

What a suprise!

Fantana

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely waiting to see FINAL results!!!

Nitro sure takes long cure time. I have 2 DEFT Brand spray

cans of Nitro Clear I bought a while back for project gits, never used them

due to Loooooooooonnngggggg Cure Time. Went with Acrylic instead.

Be sure to pass on any "Trade Secrets" your Luthier might give you, like:

HOW DO YOU CURE NITRO FINISH????????

[thumbup]

[thumbup]

"The longer you wait, the better" is the general rule for nitro finishes apparantly! It seems that they can take years to fully harden but they reach a workable level after 30-60 days. That's what I love about nitro, it's a living breathing thing that reacts to different environments, it's just the best :D

• 4 weeks later...

[thumbup]

On curing time - one factor with spray cans of lacquer meant to be used by consumers, is that it has a very long open time, it flashes off slowly in order to allow time for the material to flow and level out, it's a completely different material to what you'd find in the furniture industry.

IMO this affects the overall curing time for the material as they use retarders in the lacquer to achieve this long open time, probably too much otherwise the home handyman would never buy a second can after not being able to work with the first one.

Another factor is the make up of the material itself, industrial lacquers are high solids whereas the stuff meant for consumers is low solids - low solids = higher solvent content and therefore longer to cure and many more coats to achieve a proper film thickness.

Another interesting point - in a production chair factory and many other furniture finishing applications, they dry the lacquer almost instantly using a combination of catalysts in the lacquer, heat/air and ultraviolet light. They do this in order to get the product out the door.

So, if you have a spray set up, the best thing to do is find some "industrial strength" lacquer and enjoy the results, better yet find a pre-catalyzed lacquer.

Archived