Gibson Brands Forums

What state (or nation) do you live in?

NeoConMan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey surfpup my now wife and I were there about 3 years ago for a long weekend before we headed to Orlando. Nice town and nice beaches. Good surveilance too' date=' we were having "sexy time" at the beach at night when a helicopter spotted us and decided to check on us...they did not get too close but talk about timing....[/quote']

Nice. Glad you guys almost had a good time! When I was a kid we could even drive on the beaches at night, but the sea turtle protection act or something has really tightened up on things. This year they even started running people off the beaches by 7 PM. Good for the turtles, not so good for the beach parties!

Come on!!!

First round of frosty adult beverages is on me.

It's a little hot right now' date=' with a little bit of humidity added, but it'll dry out in a few weeks and be easier to take.

Drink lotsa water, and stay out of the sun, you'll be just fine!

The other nine months of the year are so damned nice here. No hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, mudslides...[/quote']

like how much humidity? we got it up in the 90%s down here. all the sliding glass doors have condensation on them haha

not familiar with the name. north florida?

North of you, yes - but the Treasure Coast is not north. More like Vero, Port St. Lucie, etc. Only a couple counties north of you in fact. Lots of shipwrecks there since that is where the coast sticks out. I guess you slept through geography class, Mash? =P~

like how much humidity? we got it up in the 90%s down here. all the sliding glass doors have condensation on them haha

Well, it's all relative....

That was a joke.

Anyhow, it's a relative thing - that's why it's called relative humidity and expressed in percent.

The key thing is to look at the temperature in a new way.

Watching the Weather Channel, you'll see the temp (known as Ambient Temp) and then the Dewpoint Temp.

The closer they are to each other, the more humid the air is, and the factors they use yield a percent value.

Within 4 degrees is when you get fog or dew on the grass at night.

Florida and all the Southeast regularly summer temps range from mid 90's to mid 70's at night.

The dewpoint temp is 75, for example?

Yep, that's sticky during the day, and at night the ambient drops to match the dewpoint, therefore, dew forms.

The dewpoint is slow to change unless a big weather system moves thru to upset things.

Misconception gets played out all the time with humidity. 90% humidity during the day is unlikely, even in Florida.

When it rains, the temp drops substantially. If the sun is shining and it's 95 degrees, humidity will not be 90%.

Right now in Miami it's 88 but feels like 94 because of the humidity. Kinda like wind chill in reverse.

Your dewpoint is 72 giving you 60% humidity.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/local/USFL0566?from=search_current

Yuck.

That's why I got out of Houston....

Right now, I'm at 1,200 ft. elevation in Arizona and it's 105 outside with a dewpoint of 58 degrees - creating 21% humidity.

That's much more humid here than the rest of the year when the dewpoint will actually be below zero.

Our dewpoint gets into the 70's like yours, but we get temps around 115 with it.

Considering your body temp is around 99, staying cool is impossible in those conditions.

115 with a zero dewpoint would be much more comfortable because you don't feel sweaty and sticky.

Problem is, you're sweating even more and getting dehydrated. People die out in the desert form it every year here.

Well' date=' it's all relative....115 with a zero dewpoint would be much more comfortable because you don't feel sweaty and sticky. Problem is, you're sweating even more and getting dehydrated. People die out in the desert form it every year here.[/quote']

I'm always amazed when I go out west how the sweat just disappears! Down here you wear it all day. Out there is just evaporates. I remember hopping out of a pool in Phoenix and not even needing a towel. Poof... you're dry. And, yes, I find I drink more water out there - the dry heat dehydrates me more, even though I find it more comfortable.

On a related (GIBSON) note... do you westerners humidify your guitars?

I have a humidifier, it runs maybe four months out of the year on an as-needed basis.

At the Taylor factory, I was talking to the wood guys.

They saturate it, then dry it, both to the extreme, before it ever gets cut up.

Then they recommend 45% in the house where you keep your guitar.

I'm sure Gibson is in the same ballpark.

That's kinda high for me, I run my humidifier to keep it above 35% when needed.

Right now I have 72 degrees and 52% in the house without it.

Outside is 107 and 17%

I don't care to EVER have the humidity in my house over 50% after the 15 years I lived in Houston.

60 to 70% humidity indoors all year long. Yuck.

I'm always amazed when I go out west how the sweat just disappears! Down here you wear it all day. Out there is just evaporates. I remember hopping out of a pool in Phoenix and not even needing a towel. Poof... you're dry. And' date=' yes, I find I drink more water out there - the dry heat dehydrates me more, even though I find it more comfortable.

On a related (GIBSON) note... do you westerners humidify your guitars? [/quote']

I went to Vegas last summer and it was like sticking your head in a dryer. I pass Port St. Lucie all the time when I go to Orlando but I didn't know Treasure Coast was there, cool

I went to Vegas last summer and it was like sticking your head in a dryer.

Vegas and Phoenix have very similar climates. Same altitude.

We get a few more gnarly thunderstorms during the monsoon season than they do.

Gets hotter along the Colorado river.

Laughlin, Lake Havisu, down to Yuma, whatever it is in PHX, add 5 degrees.

Just over an hour north of Pittsburgh' date=' PA. Far enough from the populous center that we have local music stores, a small handful of old guys who know what they're doing/selling...and no GC within less than an hour's drive.

Sadly, I had just moved to the area when I bought my Les Paul, so I drove and bought it at a GC. I love her, but...[/quote']

Hell, it sounds like you may be in my neck of the woods... "hour north of Pittsburg", No GC this side of Ohio...

I'm in Wheatland. Just moved here myself, and still trying to find some jammers. How about yourself?

Come on!!!

First round of frosty adult beverages is on me.

It's a little hot right now' date=' with a little bit of humidity added, but it'll dry out in a few weeks and be easier to take.

Drink lotsa water, and stay out of the sun, you'll be just fine!

The other nine months of the year are so damned nice here. No hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, mudslides...[/quote']

I liked the area. I went there for business and was given a little tour. We stayed right near the University. Ultimately, it was my employer (oh I might as well say it) US Airways that I had had enough of, and decided not to go.

Chicago, Illinois. Go Cubs!!

I visited the Mesa / Phoenix area this last spring (Cubs Spring Training).

I'm more than a little pissed at myself for not checking out Bizarre Guitar or even GC while I was there.

That's NOT like me. (Dummy!!!)

Beautiful area BTW. Alice Cooper's restaurant was pretty cool too.

Archived