Gibson Brands Forums

'The Weirdbird' deserves a bass amp upgrade!

eggs

BUMP:

C'mon Epi-heads... I need you to help talk my wife into letting me buy a new Epi bass amp (or should I really be looking at the alternatives?) for 'The Weirdbird'.

eggmuffins

I'm not aware of any Epiphone bass amp, though if there were, I'm sure it would stack up just fine against other cheap import amps. If I were just looking for a cheap, small bass amp to putz around at home with, I'd find a used Peavey, personally. They're a dime a dozen, they sound decent, and they last virtually forever.

As an unabashed Carvin fan, I'll check in. If you can find a Carvin ProBass 150 head, I think you might like it. I got mine new during the early 1990s, but I've seen them on Ebay, and they've sold for fairly modest amounts.

They came in both a head and a combo configuration, and a bit later there was a ProBass 200, IIRC. Mine is the head, and it's 100 watts into 8 ohms (and I believe it's 150 into 4 ohms, but I haven't used it with that load). The head is relatively tiny--I think they were trying to offer sort of a budget Walter Woods configuration.

It has a line out, an effects loop, and two speaker output jacks. It could, in theory, be used as a preamp to drive a much more powerful amp.

It is plenty loud enough for the house and I've used it in jam situations including one with a fairly loud guitarist (who was using a Peavey Triumph 130 combo).

Old Ampeg Guy

I too have the Peavey Micro Bass 20W practice toy, it lives in my workshop but sometimes gets used as a headphone amp. I usually borrow a bass amp to gig. When I'm not on guitar, I wield a mean black Peavey T-40 bass.

You might consider the Laney Richter Bass RB4, they're 160W 1x15-in, big enough to gig, small enough for home. They've got all the knobs you need and are small enough to cart about easily. I've had a look at others in this class and played several varieties of sizes, and this one is on my wish list for soon. They also make good jazz/acoustic guitar amps.

Failing that, how about 400 watts of Laney Nexus Tube (8xKT88) - requires 1600W 8x10 cab. Ouch!

At one time I had a big! Marshall head with 18-in reverse cone reflector horn wardrobe size bass cab, in a college dorm room (I was also using a 300 watt solid state guitar amp at the time but this was louder) ;--(

Check out the Epi Rivoli Bass Amp under 'New Bass Topic' in the Bass Forum

(sorry, a computer glitch is not allowing me to cut & paste to here)

Awesome tripod... LOL[biggrin] !

& PS: once upon a time I also owned a monster Marshall rig... still cryin' over its loss[crying] !

eggmuffins

Well I got the Laney RB4, and it does what it should. Single 15-in Celestion. It can run at parlour level, or stage gig with its 160 watts. With guitar it is fairly bland but is ok for jazz and acoustic (whereas a bass turned up can wreck guitar amp speakers). It is a fair size box but most are bigger.

The only amp I have that sounds good with both guitar and bas, and can be cranked up on bass, is an old WEM Dominator "25 Mk.II Bass" which is a surprisingly loud 10 watt 2xECL82 (Westminster circuit) with a G15-100 (15-in. 100W) speaker. The (modified) BC30 sounds good with bass too but I dare not wind up it above 3, because things start to sound a bit rough. Once upon a time, bass amps were guitar amps, but they did have to put bigger, higher rated, speakers in them.

Archived