Gibson Brands Forums

Best pots - recommendations for make and source?

teegar

Hi all, it's getting to be time to do that electronics upgrade to the '66 Wilshire reissue. Replace the 2 minihumbuckers - GFS Fat minis unless I hear that money would be much better spent on Gibson or Lollar. Switch - switchcraft 3 way I assume, and a new jack.

Pots - open to suggestion. Some would recommend CTS (500K?), though a quick web surf produces lots of comments questioning their quality. Pots are cheap enough that I'd like to put in a set I'll always be happy with. Any thoughts on the Stew-Mac pots? Capacitor(s) to go with 'em? It's tempting to go with the wiring kit:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wiring_kits/Wiring_Kit,_2-pickup_with_Toggle_Switch.html

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I've been considering the wiring kit sold by Guitar Parts Resource (here). The parts in the kit description are of good quality.

I have purchased parts from this vendor before and was pleased with the interaction. If you don't mind paying using PayPal, it might be the way to go.

Old Ampeg Guy

All of Stew Mac's stuff is first rate and they ship fast.

I just put in one of their 3-ways and 250k pots on a tele and they are excellent.

And there are intelligent human beings to talk to during normal biz hours if you any questions or problems.

The Alpha pots from Stewmac are just as good if not better than CTS, same for caps. (BTW a cap is a cap is a cap, value and tolerance is all that matters.)

Re: GFS pups, I dunno how much of an upgrade that will be. IMO they are very comparable to what comes stock in Epiphones. A decent pickup at a decent price. A good choice for the budget build or replacement of a faulty pup, but not really an upgrade to stock as they are on the same level.

Guest icantbuyafender

guitarelectronics.com does me right everytime

I prefer the 300k CTS pots.

USA spec pots will mean that you have to make the holes larger... no big deal.

Ive got the 300k's in all my LP's and in my SG. I love em with sprague orange drops (.022uf bridge or .047uf neck)

of course, Ive got gibby pups in all of them as well.

I've used both CTS and Alpha pots over the years. They are both good. These days I am happy with the full size Alpha pots. More cost effective and I believe the quality is there. It is true that often the holes need to be larger for the CTS (US) pots.

The Alpha pots from Stewmac are just as good if not better than CTS' date=' same for caps. (BTW a cap is a cap is a cap, value and tolerance is all that matters.)

Re: GFS pups, I dunno how much of an upgrade that will be. IMO they are very comparable to what comes stock in Epiphones. A decent pickup at a decent price. A good choice for the budget build or replacement of a faulty pup, but not really an upgrade to stock as they are on the same level.[/quote']

I have to disagree when it comes to Epi humbuckers just about anything is an upgrade..........They Suck! CTS are better than Alpha pots IMHO as well. " A cap is a cap is a cap"........well all I can say there is try paper in oil and tell me you think that is a true statement.

I've used both CTS and Alpha pots over the years. They are both good. These days I am happy with the full size Alpha pots. More cost effective and I believe the quality is there. It is true that often the holes need to be larger for the CTS (US) pots.

Plus you need new knobs for the CTS pots.

pots.jpg

Jerrymac, you are crazy good with the illustrations! Thanks for all the advice folks. Now I'll sweat out the pickup upgrade, having second thoughts about the GFS. You don't want to go to the trouble and then do it over - but WTH, the guitar was only $315, I can't see spending that much on the pickups for Lollars. Maybe the SD Antiquity II minibuckers. Looking for that "between single coil and humbucker" sound. Too many choices.

Guest icantbuyafender
Jerrymac' date=' you are crazy good with the illustrations! Thanks for all the advice folks. Now I'll sweat out the pickup upgrade, having second thoughts about the GFS. You don't want to go to the trouble and then do it over - but WTH, the guitar was only $315, I can't see spending that much on the pickups for Lollars. Maybe the SD Antiquity II minibuckers. Looking for that "between single coil and humbucker" sound. Too many choices.[/quote']

Seymours may be the easiest route for a good upgrade.

antiquity II's and gibson's are sold in an assembly that is meant for gibson Les Paul Deluxe guitars. (They work for the 56 goldtop though)

Archived