Gibson Brands Forums

SG-310...big thud & mud! Help!

olds_cool63

Hey, gang.

Well, my brand new (less than 2 months old) SG-310 is sounding kind of weird.

I was practicing Saturday night and when I would hit the strings hard, it would make a thud & get all muddy. Sounds like it's breaking up and staticy. REALLY noticeable in the bridge position. At first, I thought it was my Digitech RP-55 effects pedal just needing batteries. I plug the guitar in and then my headphones using it as a "practice amp". So, I plugged the guitar into my real practice amp using the headphones. Same thing. Ditched the headphones...same thing.

I thought maybe the original strings were gone. So, I just put on some new Ernie Ball Super Slinky's (.009) and got the same thing with and without the headphones. The guitar sounded BEAUTIFUL until Saturday night. I haven't fooled with the pups or anything.

So, what could it be? Anyone else out there experience anything like this? How'd you fix it? The guitar was properly setup by the tech at Guitar Center when I bought it. I haven't dropped or banged it and the pots are working great. I keep it CLEAN and it's stored in it's case when I'm not playing.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Try using a different guitar cable. Thats probably not it' date=' but I would try it just to make sure. Next, check all your solder connections and grounds. Good luck, hope this helps.[/quote']

Thanks, will do. I'll probably open it up tomorrow since I just don't want to fool around with it anymore tonight. I'll let you know what happens.

Any other thoughts out there? Keep 'em coming.

Appreciate it.

bad capacitor, loose ground wire, bad input jack, bad cable, cold solder joint somewhere, broken volume or tone control pots.

guitars need plug in diagnostics like new cars, plug it in, look at the code, fix accordingly

bad capacitor' date=' loose ground wire, bad input jack, bad cable, cold solder joint somewhere, broken volume or tone control pots.

guitars need plug in diagnostics like new cars, plug it in, look at the code, fix accordingly [/quote']

Thanks for the info. Guess I have some work to do afterwork tonight.

Hey' date=' gang.

Well, my brand new (less than 2 months old) SG-310 is sounding kind of weird.

I was practicing Saturday night and when I would hit the strings hard, it would make a thud & get all muddy. Sounds like it's breaking up and staticy. REALLY noticeable in the bridge position. At first, I thought it was my Digitech RP-55 effects pedal just needing batteries. I plug the guitar in and then my headphones using it as a "practice amp". So, I plugged the guitar into my real practice amp using the headphones. Same thing. Ditched the headphones...same thing.

I thought maybe the original strings were gone. So, I just put on some new Ernie Ball Super Slinky's (.009) and got the same thing with and without the headphones. The guitar sounded BEAUTIFUL until Saturday night. I haven't fooled with the pups or anything.

So, what could it be? Anyone else out there experience anything like this? How'd you fix it? The guitar was properly setup by the tech at Guitar Center when I bought it. I haven't dropped or banged it and the pots are working great. I keep it CLEAN and it's stored in it's case when I'm not playing.

Any info would be greatly appreciated![/quote']

Could be any number of things, but since it's a relatively new guitar and you keep it in good shape it's likely a cable or loose connection somewhere. For instance, on my LP the nut on the bridge tone pot comes loose sometimes and will cause lots of static or the outjack starts to come lose and I will receive lots of static especially when the guitar is moved while playing. If you have another cable I would try that first as it's an easy fix. Then I would check the outjack and make sure all the nuts on your pots are tight. If that doesn't do it, you may have to open the back (if your comfortable) to ensure all the grounds and connections are soldered properly. The good news is the problem is likely to be one of the above and pretty quick and easy to resolve.

Could be any number of things' date=' but since it's a relatively new guitar and you keep it in good shape it's likely a cable or loose connection somewhere. For instance, on my LP the nut on the bridge tone pot comes loose sometimes and will cause lots of static or the outjack starts to come lose and I will receive lots of static especially when the guitar is moved while playing. If you have another cable I would try that first as it's an easy fix. Then I would check the outjack and make sure all the nuts on your pots are tight. If that doesn't do it, you may have to open the back (if your comfortable) to ensure all the grounds and connections are soldered properly. The good news is the problem is likely to be one of the above and pretty quick and easy to resolve.

[/quote']

Oh, yeah...I've opened quite a few guitars in my time so that's what I'll be doing soon as I get home. It was too late to fool around with it last night.

I'll check all the things you say. I hope it IS something easy. I'd hate to think it's defective and have to go looking for a new guitar again.

Anyway, thanks and and I will post up what happens.

Appreciate all the good info, all.

Ok...so, I go to Guitar Center during lunch and the guitar decides to behave perfectly!

Couldn't duplicate the crappy sound at all!

I need to check it out. I have new cords that I just bought a couple of weeks back. One amp is old, the other is brand new. Had it 2 weeks. Since I can duplicate it with both amps, my Digitech RP-55 and dall cords, that tells me it's the guitar.

So, I'm not sure what's going on, but I will do some extensive testing later. They said I can swap it out or get a full refund if necessary.

I guess we'll see how it goes.

Well...I'm SG-less!

I decided not to take it home and test it again out since I tested enough over the last few days. So, I went back to Guitar Center last night and returned it for a full refund.

The only other SG-310 they had was so scratched up I couldn't believe they were passing it off as "new".

Anyway, I even checked out another GC last night and nothing caught my eye. So...the search is on. Maybe I'll do an LP or a Dot. Or I may even go back to the SG...maybe a 400. We'll see.

I figure I can go a week or so before my hands get restless!

Archived