Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Firebird

Lin689

Hello!

I'm thinking of buying an epi Firebird and I found this one. According to serial number it was made un 1997.

Kitara-Epiphone-ThunderBird_4bd46c9f8e555.jpgKitara-Epiphone-ThunderBird_4bd46d0005a6b.jpgKitara-Epiphone-ThunderBird_4bd46cfd8908b.jpgKitara-Epiphone-ThunderBird_4bd46c9f2681f.jpg

But i'm a little confused if it is fake or not. I really don't know why someone would fake a epiphone but anyway:

- The volume and tone knobs are strange, never seen them on any Firebird (maybe they were on older Firebirds?)

- Strange pickups... Firebirds normaly have pickup covers right? ... I know they might have been removed but are this pickups normal?

- Normaly there is only Epiphone sign on the truss rod cover, but there is Epiphone logo on it, and the sign is above the tuners.

Is this normal for 1997 Firebirds?

(don't let the tuners confuse you, they were replaced)

Hi Lin689

Firstly welcome to the forum.....[blink]

Epiphone make some good Firebirds they have set necks and Firebird mini humbuckers.........

7571104639.jpg

What I just do not get is when they cut a piece of wood the shape of a Firebird body, screw a bolt neck on it, then put "full sized humbuckers" in it............in my honest opinion that guitar is closer to an SG than a Firebird.....

I very nearly bought the best Epiphone has to offer in Firebirds that Unsung set neck model......the guy wanted 4500 swedish krona.........I saved my money and sold my Joe Pass and added a little more and have a Gibson Firebird on order.....

That white set neck Unsung Epiphone Firebird, that the guy was selling in my local town, with SD minis, was a peach ............

If you want a good decent Firebird hunt down a set neck, with Firebird minis.......It is not just a "shape" that makes a Firebird....

here is the thread about the white epi bird

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14370

Then of course....... we have the real thing.

LexiesToyzFnarhFnarh012.jpg

And here it is with its Little Brother.

17mar06014.jpg

Both of these are true Thru Neck Models unlike some of today's fair which are not.

Yes and what a hefty price one has to splash for that thru neck plank......I have just paid that heavy premium for the "real deal".......the white set neck Unsung epi was a fine guitar for the price......but if you want a "real" Firebird then there is only one place to go....

@Cooper : Thanks for your post, it explained a lot.

But the thing is I like the SG sound(but i want it a bit less dirty) and Firebird shape. So this guitar is win-win guitar for me... I was just wondering if it was fake and I found out that it's not.

@Cooper : Thanks for your post' date=' it explained a lot.

But the thing is I like the SG sound(but i want it a bit less dirty) and Firebird shape. So this guitar is win-win guitar for me... I was just wondering if it was fake and I found out that it's not.

[/quote']

Then that guitar is ideal for you...enjoy it

EDIT:.....No check this set neck Epi Firebird out.......save your money and get one of those new.....from Thomann

http://www.thomann.de/se/epiphone_firebird_studio_ltd_eb.htm

2624619_800.jpg

It's a very strange thing isn't it? I always feel as though I am committing some crime or other when I post about anything on this forum that isn't either an Epiphone, or directly related to one. I do realize it is "The Epiphone Forum", but if one wants to illustrate a point, one occasionally has to post something else if one doesn't have the relevant photo to hand.

Anyway, I apologize for obviously committing some faux pas. I however will not apologize for owning a pair of Gibson Firebirds, as well as several other Gibsons. My crime I suspect is that I only own one Epiphone. [blink]

It's a very strange thing isn't it? I always feel as though I am committing some crime or other when I post about anything on this forum that isn't either an Epiphone' date=' or directly related to one. I do realize it is "The Epiphone Forum", but if one wants to illustrate a point, one occasionally has to post something else if one doesn't have the relevant photo to hand.

Anyway, I apologize for obviously committing some faux pas. I however will not apologize for owning a pair of Gibson Firebirds, as well as several other Gibsons. My crime I suspect is that I only own one Epiphone. [blink

You are possibly over sensitive and paranoid. No one, in any way, has said you "committed a crime", just that the context was about guitars around £350, of course if you want a real Firebird it will cost...around £1300 that is all, that was stated......suggestion toughen up or see a shrink....

Then that guitar is ideal for you...enjoy it

EDIT:.....No check this set neck Epi Firebird out.......save your money and get one of those new.....from Thomann

http://www.thomann.de/se/epiphone_firebird_studio_ltd_eb.htm

2624619_800.jpg

I'm going to agree with Mr Cooper on this one.

I speak from experience, having owned one of those bolt-on Epi Firebirds in the 1990s. They're junk, to be honest.

Even though the new Epi Firebird Studios have full-sized humbuckers, from what I've seen they are much better guitars than the bolt-on ones from 15 years ago.

I'd consider putting your money towards a new Firebird Studio instead.

i have been looking...... but never having owned a f/bird, i must say also that no minis....a least a set neck....or not a true f/bird. i have seen them around, epi, set neck, mins, no vibrola, but they are few and far between. good luck on your search.

cheers

They are out there if you're lucky and have the bread to jump on it when you find one. I literally walked into my Epiphone Firebird VII when I stepped into a local vintage shop (Cowtown Guitars) and there she was ... more attitude than you can shake a stick at, and a great player to boot!

I didn't get her cheap ... not much less than she would have cost new, to be honest, but not bad for a hard-to-find guitar.

Sany0092.jpg

Jim

Then of course....... we have the real thing.

LexiesToyzFnarhFnarh012.jpg

And here it is with its Little Brother.

17mar06014.jpg

Both of these are true Thru Neck Models unlike some of today's fair which are not.

Rob' date='

A recent thread, which I couldn't subsequently find again, asked 'Why has Big Bros. Gibson been featuring so many Epis on their site recently?'

Simple answer... 'cause They Know... yes indeed...They Know!:-#'

Also: MIDIman (immediately prior post)... & sorry for this, awesome guitar... but... 'Cowtown'... LOL[biggrin'] !

eggmuffins

SVET (without reposting all your pics) & any other learned Epi-heads out there' date='

Is there such an expression as 'Premature Forumaculation'? [lol

eggmuffins

Muffin is that the first time you have seen Svet's collection....yes it has that effect on people just send your trousers to the dry cleaners, and put it down as a pleasurable experience, were nobody was used....smoke a cigarette, and then have a coffee [biggrin]

I did and I don't smoke or drink coffee.....Pheww...... they are fine.......

Archived