Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 with Maestro?

leicester35

Well, as some of my other threads may have indicated, I'm in the market for an Epi solid-body fairly soon. Nothing definite yet, just getting some ideas while I save up some money. Once I have the cash together, I'll go out and try a few guitars before making my mind up.

But things do sometimes catch my eye. Like this beauty for example, which can be had for £320.

69088_l.jpg

See: http://www.dv247.com/guitars/epiphone-g-400-deluxe-electric-guitar-maestro-tailpiece-ebony--69088

As a matter of interest, does anyone know whether the Maestro tail-piece causes tuning problems? It looks beautiful, and I could imagine myself using it here and there...but maybe a good old-fashioned stop tailpiece causes fewer headaches? [crying]

Great looking guitar though, isn't it?

It may cause you some issues with stock parts. Two changes I'd recommend if you go with it: a low-friction bridge (roller or String Saver saddles,) and a graphite/TUSQ nut. That'll remove most of the friction at the contact points, which is where tuning issues come from on a trem-equipped guitar.

That, and keep in mind that the Vibrola is meant for more of a vibrato effect (gosh, really?) None of this 2-step bending like a Floyd! [crying]

Personally I favor the teflon saddles to rollers as logic tells me, the fewer (moving) parts, the better.

A friend has a G-400 with Maestro and loves it! It's his main guitar, now!

I asked about the tailpiece, and tuning/staying in tune after using it, etc. He said that he hasn't had any issues with it than he has had on his strat with whammy. Oh, he WAS a strat guy before this showed up!

Hope this helps.

Sheila

For those who know, this was tgifintx's G-400. He passed it on to a very worthy young player, who just blows us away!!

I hope they will make that in a dark brown colour with crome hardware like this (EPIPHONE' date=' DO YOU HEAR?!):

[/quote']

You could just add a Maestro to a faded!! Get you through un the mean time, at least!

Sheila

I've got a 2005 G-400 with Maestro. I have never had any issues with it going out of tune. I have my tech file the saddles and polish the frets and it was good to go. I did put a set of Burstbuckers in it, along with new electronics, and a set of Grover Vintage Green Keystone tuners, just for aesthetics.

I absolutely love the feel of the Maestro. For me it is the best feeling trem I have used. Here she is, just to give you a little more GAS. It would be nice if they put one out in brown though, that would look sharp.

G-400net1.jpg

Archived