Gibson Brands Forums

Viola upgrade pickups?

Purple_String

Been considering upgrading pickups on my Epi Viola bass, thinking it might make the bass a big step up like Epi electric guitars. But those mini humbucker shape bass pickups seem really hard to find than P/J or MM shape pickups. If I'll have to choose EMG 35HZ passive or DiMarzio DP120 Model One kind, there will need some serious modification in terms of appearance.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Under $100 per each is more preferable. Thanks!

I have no idea if they'll fit, but it can't hurt to have a look at these Gotoh bass pickups on the Guitar Parts Resource site (the smaller ones in the middle of the linked page) that are stated to be for Gibson and some Epiphone models.

You can contact them about whether they'll work, and the guy there was pretty straightforward in steering me away from parts he stocks but which would not fit my guitar. I've only bought from this vendor once, but it was a quick and pleasant experience. At this point he only takes PayPal, however.

Hope they work for you.

Old Ampeg Guy

• 2 weeks later...

How about this Seymour Duncan pickup?

Seymour Duncan SRB-1n The left one.

SRB-1n_SRB-1b.jpg

It is supposed to be a replacement for Rickenbacker 4000-series bass neck pickup. I checked the dimension drawing and compared my rough measurement of Viola mini humbucker. They seem to share very similar shape and mounting dimensions.

srb-1n.gif

(Seymour Duncan SRB-1n dimensions)

Archived