Gibson Brands Forums

Jack Bruce's other bass (F-word)

matt1039

Someone's comment in here got me thinking about Jack Bruce. Then I remembered some footage from his Cream days of him playing a Fender VI. It looked like a strat, but it was a short scale, six string bass with three pick-ups (not sure, memory is a little spotty sometimes.)

Did he play that a lot or did he regularly switch between that and the Gibson? Has anyone seen or played a Fender VI? I'm just curious about them.

Also, please forgive me for starting a topic about the F-word. (Fender)

Someone's comment in here got me thinking about Jack Bruce. Then I remembered some footage from his Cream days of him playing a Fender VI. It looked like a strat' date=' but it was a short scale, six string bass with three pick-ups (not sure, memory is a little spotty sometimes.)

Did he play that a lot or did he regularly switch between that and the Gibson? Has anyone seen or played a Fender VI? I'm just curious about them.

Also, please forgive me for starting a topic about the F-word. (Fender)[/quote']

JB wasn't the only famous Bass VI player:

26jan_11.jpg

George also used it when he played bass.

I had a modern version, but used it as a Baritone (B-2-[cool]:

jag_bari_full.jpg

Someone's comment in here got me thinking about Jack Bruce. Then I remembered some footage from his Cream days of him playing a Fender VI. It looked like a strat' date=' but it was a short scale, six string bass with three pick-ups (not sure, memory is a little spotty sometimes.)

Also, please forgive me for starting a topic about the F-word. (Fender)[/quote']

Hey matt,

Played one once (circa 1974-75) in a now defunct music store (Harry Landis) in Park Street, Sydney.

Gotta say, I found it kinda 'crowded'.

eggmuffins (another increasingly, & somewhat surprisingly because of this Forum, guilty F-worder)

Thanks for the video Sheila. "Sunshine of your Love" played on psychedelic guitars, nice.

The first time I saw Jack Bruce playing the Fender I did a double take and immediately went to find out what that was. It is so weird to see a stratocaster bass. But if it was good enough for the working class hero then it guess I have to be ok with it.

Archived