Gibson Brands Forums

Riddle me this.....Epiphone Grover style tuners

Ordered some bits and pieces for my beloved 1987 E-by-G Sheraton II a short while ago over the moon with all I bought except....

these

TK-7713-002.jpg

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/tuners_partsbuttons.htm

When I tried them on my E-by-G Grover style tuners they do not fit the spindle is too thick.....[biggrin] [biggrin]

So this evening I was thumbing my Zephyr Blues Deluxe and I thought "MMMMMMMMH I wonder"

and lo and behold fit perfectly.........and look fantastic on that big hunk of guitar......

So tell me why are 1987 Epiphone grover style tuners so different to the 1999 Epiphone grover style tuners........

Because Grover changed the design a little bit not too many years ago. I don't remember when or everything they changed, but I know I have searched for days sometimes trying to score the odd old style example for period correct replacements. ]

Could you ream out the key a bit to fit on the new one?

Because Grover changed the design a little bit not too many years ago. I don't remember when or everything they changed' date=' but I know I have searched for days sometimes trying to score the odd old style example for period correct replacements. ']

Could you ream out the key a bit to fit on the new one?

My instinct tells me the best way would be get "the right file" and give a measured number of rubs on either side if the spindle and they would go on....but I would never feel happy with tuning machines having done that....just bought a set of real Grovers for a good price from Twang (but they are chrome) was thinking of seeing if they will fit my Sheraton and put the gold Imperial knobs on......would look sound from the front a little bit quirky from the back but 18:1 True Grovers well worth putting up with a little bit of chrome at the back.....what do you think......functionality over aesthetics....

Ordered some bits and pieces for my beloved 1987 E-by-G Sheraton II a short while ago over the moon with all I bought except....

these

TK-7713-002.jpg

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/tuners_partsbuttons.htm

When I tried them on my E-by-G Grover style tuners they do not fit the spindle is too thick.....[biggrin] [biggrin]

So this evening I was thumbing my Zephyr Blues Deluxe and I thought "MMMMMMMMH I wonder"

and lo and behold fit perfectly.........and look fantastic on that big hunk of guitar......

So tell me why are 1987 Epiphone grover style tuners so different to the 1999 Epiphone grover style tuners........

"Joe"' date='

I don't know if the grover shafts have changed that much over the years..are you talking

asian "grovers" which probably have shaft dimensions in mm? If so, yes, I had the same

problem with the pearloid "Imperial style: buttons from guitarpartsresoice. They wouldn't

quite fit on the asian grover shafts (see my avatar) on my Elitist Broadway,

which Epi had installed asian grovers..it was a stamped "used" model, so they took off the nice

grovers with the imperial buttons and installed the kidney beans. [cry']

I ended up using a fine set of files and just slightly enlarging the square holes in the

pearloid buttons to fit the asian shafts rather than order a genuine set of USA grovers.

Worked for me.

"Joe"' date='

I don't know if the grover shafts have changed that much over the years..are you talking

asian "grovers" which probably have shaft dimensions in mm? If so, yes, I had the same

problem with the pearloid "Imperial style: buttons from guitarpartsresoice. They wouldn't

quite fit on the asian grover shafts (see my avatar) on my Elitist Broadway,

which Epi had installed asian grovers..it was a stamped "used" model, so they took off the nice

grovers with the imperial buttons and installed the kidney beans. [cry']

I ended up using a fine set of files and just slightly enlarging the square holes in the

pearloid buttons to fit the asian shafts rather than order a genuine set of USA grovers.

Worked for me.

Thanks for that Carverman....yes talking about stock 1987 Samick and stock 1999 Peerless tuners made to that Grover pattern. The latter fits perfect.

Filing to fit the Sheraton I feel would work but X 6 I have a feeling I would make one loose or something and that would really piss me off and is not conducive for happy playing.

Maybe a string change down the line I will try those Real Groovers from TWANG on there...I am almost certain the imperial knobs will fit those....

One think is for sure the Imperial buttons are really handsome on an Epiphone headstock....

I have had put a a few set of Grover buttons on my guitars, and there were a few that went on tight. I just filed down the inside of the button, not the tuner. I did something similar to my Sherry and I am glad I did. Even though they have 14:1 tuners, the imperial buttons make them feel more like 18:1.

SheratonwithStepKnobs001.jpg

One think is for sure the Imperial buttons are really handsome on an Epiphone headstock....

Yes, they look good on some models. It depends on what look you are after.

But being bigger buttons, they tend to require a big (longer) headstock for

them to look good, so on some smaller headstocks they will look a bit crowded.

Another set of nice looking tuners are the original Kluson Sealfast "Waffle backs",

used on the early Les Pauls and some vintage Gibson archtops.

These had the pearloid or chrome/gold tulip shape. These are 14:1 as well, I believe.

They used to be made by Kluson out of Chicago, but were bought out by WD Music, now are being

re-issued at a premium price of course.

http://www.wdmusic.com/super_kluson_3_on_side_gold_pearloid_keystone_button.html

Yes' date=' they look good on some models. It depends on what look you are after.

But being bigger buttons, they tend to require a big (longer) headstock for

them to look good, so on some smaller headstocks they will look a bit crowded.

Another set of nice looking tuners are the original Kluson Sealfast "Waffle backs",

used on the early Les Pauls and some vintage Gibson archtops.

These had the pearloid or chrome/gold tulip shape. These are 14:1 as well, I believe.

They used to be made by Kluson out of Chicago, but were bought out by WD Music, now are being

re-issued at a premium price of course.

http://www.wdmusic.com/super_kluson_3_on_side_gold_pearloid_keystone_button.html

[/quote']

Yes I agree, I am still not sure about the Imperials on the Zephyr, I think I actually prefer the original tuner buttons on my Zephyr. Will probably put them back, and wait for Real Grovers I bought from TWANG and put them on my Sheraton with the gold Imperial buttons.

groverlocking.jpg

Well here is how they looked on my Zephyr for a short while.....

P1010382.jpg

PS. Big thanks to you Carverman for leading me in the right direction from my early questions you figured I was hankering for a single coil experience and now with the Zephyr I have that in a beautiful hollow box and very much enjoying that experience......Thanks

I have a set of those white knobs..

and cheap.. had them in my box for too long.

and I have the stock tuners on my sheri. it's a 91. But put on the gold imperials and they fit.

So.. it's a crapshoot as to when epi changed and all.

I think my sheri just needs those big imperials. the shape makes more sense, the size makes more sense.

the design is more in keeping with all the fancy stuff that's already there.

I love that zephyr.

the more I look at the white imperials the more I think I might put them on mine. *L*

I wonder if they fit!

I have a set of those white knobs..

and cheap.. had them in my box for too long.

and I have the stock tuners on my sheri. it's a 91. But put on the gold imperials and they fit.

So.. it's a crapshoot as to when epi changed and all.

I think my sheri just needs those big imperials. the shape makes more sense' date=' the size makes more sense.

the design is more in keeping with all the fancy stuff that's already there.

I love that zephyr.

the more I look at the white imperials the more I think I might put them on mine. *L*

I wonder if they fit!

[/quote']

A big thank you to you Patrick for selling me the Grovers....they will be a "key" part of my E-by-G Sheraton. Imagine the Grovers you sent me but with the gold imperial knobs on this guitar...

P1010361.jpg

Glad you like the Zephyr...becoming a huge love of mine....

PS. Big thanks to you Carverman for leading me in the right direction from my early questions you figured I was hankering for a single coil experience and now with the Zephyr I have that in a beautiful hollow box and very much enjoying that experience......Thanks

Glad you found the guitar of your dreams Joe. I know that sometimes it takes a while to

find the "right one" which then provides more inspiration for you to play the kind of music you like to play.

That Zephyr with those P-90s and your vintage Epiphone amp must really sing the blues.

Glad you found the guitar of your dreams Joe. I know that sometimes it takes a while to

find the "right one" which then provides more inspiration for you to play the kind of music you like to play.

That Zephyr with those P-90s and your vintage Epiphone amp must really sing the blues.

There is definitely a better balance in my collection now' date=' that is for sure. The equipment is fine just the "fleshy bit" in the middle has got to get up to scratch that will take some years.......

but it is going to be fun trying to get to where I would like to be, I have modest goals............

Really looking forward to experimenting with the Zephyr, Bugera V5 with the Sansamp GT2 in front of it....

Hope to post some videos of my fumblings in the coming weeks......

Being so remote, the only way I can get feedback on my playing is through the forum.....

Guitar of my dreams....well if I changed the P90's for vintage New York minis and it was a thinline......well you know my dream guitar......[lol

but my Zephyr is a good "stand in"....[biggrin] no doubt about it, the Blues Deluxe can "Boogie", and sounds really nice unplugged...

DREAM ZEPHYR 311TN/312TN

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Archived