Gibson Brands Forums

SURF TONE

CAINO

have a Guys i gold custom shop sg i want to put a bigsby b7 tremolo on it an also i want change the pick ups to give me more of a 60s surf tone what would you guys reconend i should do shoud i change the tuners as well

single coil pickups and an amp with LOTS of reverb. Tuners aren't going to make any difference.

Don't seee many SG's for Surf, I think your best best would be a Fender Jag or strat.

+1 on gl297. But if you must, how about these from GFS? They are humbuckers but wound hot and they are four conductor so you can coil tap for single coil operation.

yhst-50206111187217_2100_28799350

And here's a link

link

+1 on gl297. But if you must' date=' how about these from GFS? They are humbuckers but wound hot and they are four conductor so you can coil tap for single coil operation.

[img']http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-50206111187217_2100_28799350[/img]

And here's a link

link

I've used them, gnarly pickups dude!!!

GFS also came out with a DeArmond style...

yhst-50206111187217_2104_17710631

yes yes i must im a bit crayzy for the SG thanks for the link can i make a b7 fit i like the big tail piece the b5 looks not so hot will i have to dut in a 5 way toggel switch.

thanks for the help guys i have only been playing guitar for five minuetes

you guys are probably gonna think I'm nuts but those old tulip shaped guitars sold by Sears that some of us got as kids back in the 60's-70's are great for surf tones.

tulip.jpg

I'm gonna go watch some of The Munsters vids on YT now

single coil pickups and an amp with LOTS of reverb. Tuners aren't going to make any difference.

Don't seee many SG's for Surf' date=' I think your best best would be a Fender Jag or strat.[/quote']

+1

I think your best bets are...

51169.jpg

51172.jpg

p4668.jpg

+ a Fender amp slathered in reverb.

You're not going to get classic surf tones out of an SG.

Archived