Gibson Brands Forums

old epiphone bass, need help on indentifying it

jleach887

I found this old bass in a storage locker' date=' it looks pretty old and the case it was in looked ancient. I need some help on indentifying model, year. If anyone knows how much this thing would be worth i would appreciate that insight as well. Thanks in advance. Pictures of the bass

1970s ET-280 Made by Matsumoku in Japan:

Epi%2070s%20cat%20pg8-9.jpg

• 4 months later...

It is from the very first series of guitars & basses imported as Epiphones.

I was told at that time by a Gibson salesman that the original plan was to import from Germany, but when that became impossible (due to a change in the Deutschmark-vs-Dollar) they had to quickly switch to Japan! There was no time to produce completely new models, so all they could do was put Epiphone headstocks and names on existing Japanese designs!

This is only hearsay, but at least it might explain why they don't look at all like any other Epiphones before or since.

• 1 month later...

I owned one for awhile. bought it with a fender practice amp for $50 and then sold it for $200. made sound, but was short scale, and as someone said over in that short scale post, it was a bit of a mud factory.

it seems like every time i see a "what is this epi bass!?" it's always a 280. they're cool looking though. the ET-270 was the exact same body except was a guitar and apparently kurt cobain once had one, so the guitar version sells for a bit more.

Archived