Gibson Brands Forums

Whats Strings does everyone use?

sdjjadk

I'm sure a thread like this has been done.

But, I stopped by my local music store after work to get a set of strings for my Gib. SG and I use E.B.'s Super Slinky 9-42 and have been for over 25 years and low and behold they were out of them! [biggrin] Any, one of the guys behind the counter suggested the Hybrid Slinky's 9-46 and I'm glad I did! In fact I think I may have found a new favorite. I like the Super Slinky's because they have a nice crisp sound, but these Hybrid's have a nice rich full sound that seem to compliment my SG very well. I might even try them on my Epi. when the next string change is due.

Anyway, enough stringing along LOL. So post your choice of strings. [crying]

Shawn

Gibson Firebird still has the Gibson stock and will get DR Blues 10 - 46 when I next change

Epiphone Sheraton "GHS Boomers 10 13 17 30 44 52" (only because I cannot get DR Blues Big n Heavy in Sweden)

Epiphone Zephy Blues Deluxe "GHS Boomers 10 13 17 30 44 52" (only because I cannot get DR Blues Big n Heavy in Sweden)

Samick SG beater currently has Ernie Ball regular slinkys 10 - 46

Levin acoustic currently has Martin bronze 11's but putting a floating pickup on there so will have to have a good think might try a set of Tomastik flats on there

Ordered a Tele.......aint decided what I eventually want on there yet.......probably give me whatever Albert Collins ordered......

D'addario EXL 110 (.010-.046) on everything, and hold the onions.

At one time I used different sets of D'addarios, GHS, Ernie Balls, in different gauges (9s -11s) for different guitars.

Now I can't be bothered anymore. I just get a big box of D'addarios and get it over with. Cheap and convenient.

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread, Plymouth58, I see that "Leslie West" guitar in your signature. Do you own one of these? How do you like it? I'll be putting a Dean "Mountain of Tone" pickup in a Epi Lp jr tomorrow..can't wait. From all the sound clips I've heard this thing sounds like the meanest pickup ever made. And just to keep on topic, do you or anyone else know what kind of strings Leslie West uses?

Once this pickup goes in, this is the first song it's pumping out:

Im not as picky about electric strings as I am acoustic. Normally I use Gibson Vintage reissue on my humbucker equipped guitars and Fender or ErnieBall on my single coils. As of late though I have been using a string put out by PRS that one of the guys at the local music store recommended. For $4.99 a pack they are working out well.

Im not as picky about electric strings as I am acoustic. Normally I use Gibson Vintage reissue on my humbucker equipped guitars and Fender or ErnieBall on my single coils. As of late though I have been using a string put out by PRS that one of the guys at the local music store recommended. For $4.99 a pack they are working out well.

For electrics the nickel plated steel strings are pretty much the same no matter who's name is on the package. I'll use whatever I find when buying strings.

Recently I've started using the Elixir Nanoweb's. Great Strings. A little pricey but the tone & feel are far superior to the regular nickel plated. They outlast regular strings by 5 or 6:1. Best thing to happen to a guitar string since Stevie Ray.

After using the Elixir's I've decided to experiment with strings a little bit. I'm planning on trying the D'Addario ProSteels next. I'll try the pure nickel "vintage" strings as well. I'm also going to give the half-rounds a go. Just fool around each time I replace the strings to see what I like & what I don't. Cheap experiments so what the heck.

For my Acoustic I've been using the Newtone low tension round core strings. Very nice. The tension is not quite as low as my electric, but close enough. Tone is on par with hex core bronze strings. Again a little pricey, but they're much easier on my fingers & worth the price.

Happy Hunting.

On my Epi ES-175: D'Addario 12-52 Flatwounds

On my Wildkat: DR Blues 11-50's; Everly B52's 10-46

My Strats: GHS Burnished Nickel Roundwounds 9-42

The GHS Burnished are INCREDIBLE strings. Bender Heaven![biggrin]

Michael

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread' date=' Plymouth58, I see that "Leslie West" guitar in your signature. Do you own one of these? How do you like it? I'll be putting a Dean "Mountain of Tone" pickup in a Epi Lp jr tomorrow..can't wait. From all the sound clips I've heard this thing sounds like the meanest pickup ever made. And just to keep on topic, do you or anyone else know what kind of strings Leslie West uses?

[i']Once this pickup goes in, this is the first song it's pumping out:[/i]

It's an amazing guitar, check PM ;-)

Ernie Ball Super Slinkys 9-42 for all 6 string electrics, D'addario XL 9-42 for acoustic and D'addario EXL 150 on the 12 stringer. I have a few odds and end packs of strings kicking about - Gibson Brite WIres, Fender Original 150 pure nickel and somewhere is a vintage set of Rotosound bass strings that I inherited, the ones with the colour wrap.

EB's are the ones I like most.

Archived