Gibson Brands Forums

Help with wiring w/ this P90 soapbar pickup...

I bought a loaded but unwired guitar and i've been told by the seller that the pickups are Epiphone P-90s. I have no idea of their age, but appear to be either aged or older...they are 2 soapbars (not dog ears) and i'm assuming that one is bridge and one is neck. They have 3 wires, one white, one red and one bare. Its safe to assume that the bare is ground, and i'm struggling with the other 2 wires.

I need to determine how to wire these... which wire is hot, right now i'm guessing the white wire is but the red wire may also be for the opposite pole? and if these are indeed one each neck, bridge the hot wire may be white on one and red on another? also does the non-hot wire be combined with the bare for the ground or should i just isolate it and tape it off? and i'm not sure if coil tap is even available since its only 3-wires, not sure if i can assume this. I did buy a multi-meter which is what i think i'm going to need at this point to determine polarity and dc output and wiring configuration.

I'm finding very little info on these Epiphone type P90s which makes me think they may not, but I'm trying here to see if anyone can help me because i think the seller is also unsure.

Like stereo speaker wiring, it doesn't really matter which way you wire them, as long as you do them both the same way. Treat both reds as positive, or the other way around. If you mix them, the pickups will be out of phase.

If there's a specific bridge pickup, there would be two possible indications:

- The pole piece spacing would be slightly wider than the neck pickup

- The DC resistance would be higher than the neck pickup

Hope this helps.

ok, thats what i thought and i can probably verify that with a multi-meter i presume...

now the unused wire (non hot)... i have read both to leave it isolated and tape it off OR tie it off with the ground. which would i do?

i could do trial and error i suppose based upon the amount of hum i get...

OK, I now know which pickup is neck and bridge. i'm struggling more with this wiring configuration, i've read that these pickups might be stock manufacturer type epiphones which are only 3-wires.

Yep got that, but there are 3-wires...

The bare is ground, then there is the white and red... one of them is the hot connection...

then that leaves what do i do with the other third wire?

leave it alone or tie to ground?

from what i've read coil tap (4 wire) pickups only have one ground, other types (3 wire) the third wire is also joined with the bare ground, i'm not sure if this is correct, alot of conflicting info out there.

Thanks everyone.

thats what i assumed first off... i will give that a shot first.

it also may help me save time w/ trial and error.

are you saying that it may be possible that the bare wire could be ungrounded?

thus just isolated? never seen that before with a pickup, then again this is the first time i've dealt w/ P90's..

thanks!

yes but...

there is a bare wire' date=' red wire, and a white wire.

bare wire is ground, lets assume the white wire is hot.

what to do with the red? tie to ground or isolate?[/quote']

Regardless of what you do with the bare wire, the colored wires MUST be connected in order for the pickup to work. Each of those wires is one end of the pickup's coil.

Yep got that' date=' but there are 3-wires...

The bare is ground, then there is the white and red... one of them is the hot connection...

then that leaves what do i do with the other third wire?

leave it alone or tie to ground?

from what i've read coil tap (4 wire) pickups only have one ground, other types (3 wire) the third wire is also joined with the bare ground, i'm not sure if this is correct, alot of conflicting info out there.

Thanks everyone.[/quote']

Red to hot, white + bare to ground. Or vice versa.

Archived