Gibson Brands Forums

Don't know what to do...!!

Ren

When I was 19 in 1974 I bought a LP Custom. Not apprecating the instrument at the time, I sold a couple of years later it to pay for a soul-searching trip to India.

Moving forward, I have an ES335 dot cherry which I bought in 2003, and then in Jan this year I bought a LP Standard.

Now I find I never play the ES335 although I love it (just love the LP more!).

Trouble is, I can't stop hankering over an ebony custom. Saw one in my local shop the other day and it just brought all these memories back. I'm sincerely thinking about trading in both my LP Standard and the 335 for a custom. However, this makes me sad to lose the 335, but I never play it! Can't afford or justify to just buy a custom without parting with one of the others.

WHAT DO I DO?

Help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYkxF14YdAw

Just kidding!

Nobody else can make this decision for you and it's a tough one but, if it were me, I'd rather have two guitars that are different from each other than two of the same so if you're going to buy another Les Paul, I'd get rid of the one you have already so you can keep the 335. However, if you're not playing the 335 anyway, there isn't much point in keeping it so you might as well let somebody else get some enjoyment out of it.

Above all, if you decide to get rid of your LP to get this other one, be very sure that you like the way it plays better than the one you have already and aren't just falling for a new pretty face. Customs are different from Standards, but they're still all Les Pauls when you get right down to it and they all vary a bit even within the same model.

If you want the Custom that badly I would say do it. The bottom line is your gear has to make you happy. A guitar not being played is a guitar that needs to be sold in my book - but I'm no collector of anything, never have been.

Funny, my ES hardly gets played, too!

Awesome in every sense of the word...but it's not a Les Paul.

I tossed and turned about selling it as well, but decided to keep it.

One of those things I'll regret later on in life.

I love LPs more than any other guitar and if I had to make the choice between two LPs or one LP and one ES, I'd choose two LPs. Customs & Standards are only similar in shape.

Just my opinion, but I'm different.

Do what you feel you have to do...but before you go out and buy a Custom, know that there are two types of Black Beauties. One is build on current specifications...just your everyday LP Custom. The other is a non-exact replica of the a 50s Custom.

Both are excellent guitars.

First, examine WHY you want the LP Custom....Nostalgia, Tone, looks, ALL.

IF it was me (which it's not), I'd ditch the LP Standard, and keep the 335...

for a different tone, when needed. LP Standards and Customs, while somewhat

different in tone, are pretty similar, really. Semi-hollow bodies are warmer,

and rounder in tone. So...in short..I sell the LP Standard, get the LP Custom, and

KEEP the 335! But, it's really up to you.

CB

The Custom and the Standard are both from the same vein but are very different animals.

Im lucky to have both. The Custom has a more aggressive' date=' heavy sound then the Standard.

[/quote']

Well, it's heavier, I grant you that! I too, have both...but I can get plenty "heavy" with

the LP Standard, as well. You cannot get 335 from a solid body! But, you know what,

I HAVE coaxed some tones, pretty close to that, from a "Telecaster," believe it, or not!

LOL! So..??? And, "Led Zeppelin" (1) was done with a Tele. So...in the right hands, anything'

works!

CB

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies guys - it's much appreciated that there's someone out there that can sympathise!

One of the things making me hesitate is the weight of the custom. I do remember getting severe shoulder-ache in 1976, even though I was a spoddy 19-year old! My standard is very comfy!

However, I'm really surprised and interested in the comments about tone between the custom and standard. I presumed that, as the custom was solid as opoposed to chambered, that the custom would have more sustain and resonance. Is this in fact not the case?

Meanwhile, if I do go through with it, I think some of you are persuading me that I should keep the 335 (even if it's just for my baby son!!), so I'm gonna just have to try and save some pennies. Trouble is I'll only get a grand for the standard, so it'll be another K to save...

Sounds like you haven't really played the custom enough... so you are just wanting to replace the one you lost.

I'd go play the custom. Make 3 or 4 trips. Spend a few hours with it. Sounds like you are happy with what you have... and it does not seem like you are convinced that the Custom is equal to what you have... so that would be the best next step, imho. If that sucker is really calling to you, you'll know it when you play it. If not, it's just nostalgia and if you can't afford it for that reason alone, I'd give it a pass.

Just my .02...

Trouble is I'll only get a grand for the standard' date=' so it'll be another K to save...[/quote']

A grand for your Standard? No way!

Honestly, it's worth more than that. It's a 2008, right? If it's mint, you should be able to get $1,500 - $1,800.

$1,800 if you're lucky. Look at eBay, kijiji, craigslist, etc. to get a better idea.

I traded a mid-60's 335 away back in the early '70s and have regretted it ever since.

I have a 2002 335, when I "discovered" what a beauty they were, I bought it from Bizarre Guitar - after lotsa shopping.

There's another Guitar Center story in that as well, those MFers.....

I don't play mine often, but nothing else will do.

I can't say YOU would regret selling it, but I would not part with mine quietly.

I've gotten rid of 4 Les Pauls over the years, to get the two I have now, and I'm still shopping for more.

If you trade both your guitars in, just realize you're gonna lose your *** on the deal. Trade in value is squat.

If you want the Custom THAT BAD and you're okay with it, I say do what you think you need to do.

Logic has very little effect when comes to buying guitars....

i like that wish list, got 2 '59(washed cherry, lemonburst), '58 standard vos in ice tea. Talked to mike the other day about the 68 custom vos BB with nickel hardware. email me sometime at renin71@yahoo.com neoconman! Don't know if I need 2 '59, but love'em!

• 3 weeks later...

A grand for your Standard? No way!

Honestly' date=' it's worth more than that. It's a 2008, right? If it's mint, you should be able to get $1,500 - $1,800.

$1,800 if you're lucky. Look at eBay, kijiji, craigslist, etc. to get a better idea.[/quote']

That's 1,000 pounds (UK) - paid £1,399 for it in Jan 2008, though I think it must be a 2007. The lowest I've seen since then is £1,299, so don't reckon I'd get much more...

Well, my take on this is I try never to get rid of my guitars. I did it ONCE with a late 80's USA Kramer Pacer, but ended up buying it back from the guy i sold it to! I play it once in a while, but to me I can honestly say that I have EVERY guitar I had bought since I was a kid ( it's not many, 8 to be exact) they all have had somewhat of a "sentimental" value to them and when I pick them up the memories come back!

Now, with that being said I am going to pull a "switcharoo" and admit I do have a 90's American Strat"Plus" I bought new that I am considering trading for a Les Paul as this particular guitar has NO sentimental value and it NEVER gets played, so yes, it is MINT. Anyone want to trade?

My point is, if the guitar "means" something to you whether it was a gift or you bought it in a part of your life you would like to remember..KEEP IT !! if it means NOTHING to you? part with it and get something you will enjoy!!

-Rick

Thanks again to you folks - wise words.

I think I've pretty much decided to keep the 335, even if it's just for my son (he's only 1, so bit of a way to go before he appreciates it...).

I think it is all just nostalgia, plus the fact that a new Custom I played the other day was set up so beautifully it put my Standard to shame. Decided to get my Standard set up as good as possible - these means a new nut as the factory cuts for the 1st and 2nd strings are too deep and give insufficient clearance between string and fret (according to Dan Erlewine's great book) so I can't get the action where I want it.

What I wish is that, in my impetuous youth, that I had thought about saving my old Custom's serial number, as I might be able to trace it and that would make everything different if I could get my original one back. But mind you, it was a 1974 model, so maybe it's best staying where it is...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, finally decided! For a start I'm gonna keep the 335 - and that's final!!=P~

Next, I'm forgetting the Custom - it's just nostalgia and I'm put off by a) the weight, and :D the fact that the Custom doesn't have the maple cap (I want the extra treble and ring).

I was then looking at upgrading my Standard with locking tuners and getting a new nut fitted and frets dressed on a PLEC at Charlie Chandlers (my nut came from the factory with the 1st and 2nd string nut-cuts too low), when lo and behold, the new 2008 Standard comes out. So, now I'm saving to part-ex my 2007 Standard for one of the new ones.

I hope then, I will be finally content - yeh likely story - verging on GAS....:D

love and peace to all

Archived