Gibson Brands Forums

My 1965 SG Standard Restoration Project- Completed!

lous1952

Some of you may remember the 1965 SG Standard that I bought a few months ago.

I just got it back today from Lay's.

It was in rough shape.

Headstock veneer messed up when new nut was installed- the truss rod nut was covered in wood filler.

Also, the new nut was spaced incorrectly.

The neck joint/body crack was poorly repaired.

Stop tailpiece fitted and part of the Vibrola left on the body.

The fretboard was lacquered.

And of course, the whole thing was painted black.

As far as hardware goes, the nut, tuners, and neck pickup were not original.

The pots were replaced with 1972 pots.

The good news- the original pots and the remaining Vibrola parts were in the case.

I had Dan put in a bone nut, the tuners are RS aged Klusons, and a correct vintage patent number pickup installed in the neck position.

Dan also fixed the headstock facing, plugged the stoptail holes, repaired the neck joint properly, removed the lacquer from the fretboard, leveled the frets, reinstalled the original pots and Vibrola, and refinished it in cherry red.

All is well except for the neck pickup volume pot, it definitely needs help, which I will do in the next few days.

Otherwise it plays and sounds great.

The is an early spec '65- nickel hardware, no cavity shield, patent number pickups, correct body contours.

Considering how it was to begin with, it turned out pretty good.

Here are some pictures of it as I bought it, of work in progress, and the finished product.

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_29871.jpg

IMG_2956_1.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

DCP_0411.jpg

DCP_0421.jpg

DCP_0422.jpg

DCP_0423.jpg

DCP_0424.jpg

DCP_0426.jpg

DCP_0427.jpg

DCP_0415.jpg

DCP_0418.jpg

Nice job, looks great. The colour is fantatstic.

I had similar with my '69 Custom. It was in bad shape when I got it, it was walnut overpainted with white gloss house paint. I redid it with clear nitro, by hand. Thin coats and rubbing down in between coats.

It took forever. Worth it though. looks and plays great now.

sg001.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys.

By the way, the tuner buttons are not really that yellow, my camera distorts certain colors.

They're more of an off white.

I have to do some minor tweaking on it, but that's to be expected.

I don't do any tweaking on a guitar that's just been put together for at least a week.

I want the neck to be under tension for a while before I do any real tweaking.

Hopefully that volume pot just needs cleaning.

How did you fix the headstock? Or did you just get a new one.

The headstock is original.

There are a few ways to fix it.

The original veneer was made of holly, I believe.

You can put a new veneer on it, or just patch in the missing pieces.

I believe that it has a new veneer.

Ptc, your Custom looks great.

You did a fine job on the restoration.

I am selling my Gibson SG Standard ebony with inlays and crest please click the url is interested' date=' she needs some work. I think shes at $300 right now. new she was $1449!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110274108694&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=001[/quote']

Doesn't this guy ever give it up!!!!!!!! He was offered:

1) $ .50

2) 2 sticks of gum

3) a paper clip

3) some "toe jam"

for it. I'd take the offer & walk. LOL

I am selling my Gibson SG Standard ebony with inlays and crest please click the url is interested' date=' she needs some work. I think shes at $300 right now. new she was $1449![/quote']

Do you deliver to Arizona? Bring it on out to the house, WAY out here in the desert....

Hehehe.... :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Nice job' date=' looks great. The colour is fantatstic.

I had similar with my '69 Custom. It was in bad shape when I got it, it was walnut overpainted with white gloss house paint. I redid it with clear nitro, by hand. Thin coats and rubbing down in between coats.

It took forever. Worth it though. looks and plays great now.

[img']http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t215/ptcs-photies/sg001.jpg[/img]

It looks far too pretty and shiney - almost as if it was made yesterday from bright plastic.

Do you keep it in a glass cabinet?

Did it play any worse with the house paint?

I do hope you don't think that I'm being rude but prettiness isn't everything as Chinese girl singers could tell you.

dude sweet guitar by the way is one of those 3 guits a angus young signature

No' date=' the one that looks like an Angus Young model is a 1969 SG Standard.

From left to right:

1969 SG Standard

1968 SG Special

2006 '61 SG w/Vibrola

Apillock, you're missing the point of doing these restorations.

First off, both of our SGs are not coated in plastic (polyurethane), they're sprayed with clear nitrocellulose lacquer, just as they were originally.

The lacquer will age with time and use.

Also, remember that there aren't many of these guitars left after 40+ years, and they should be restored if possible.

Many dealers. and individuals, will part them out rather than restore them, so the number of them is shrinking all the time.

Also, many vintage instruments (not just guitars) are works of art and craftsmanship that should be preserved and restored.

If you want to get up on stage with a house painted guitar, that's your business.

I never did so in 42 years, and I won't now.

62 SG, here's some more pics of the '69 SG.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/loufed52/Gibson%201969%20SG%20Project/DCP_0013.jpg[/img]

DCP_0035.jpg

Nice guitars man! And don't waste your time with fools like apillock - he's nothing more than an immature troll. Spends his time making disparaging, mean-spirited remarks just to see if he can get a rise out of people. Best thing to do is just ignore him. Somebody didn't hug him enough, so he's taking it out on the rest of us...

Nice guitars man! And don't waste your time with fools like apillock - he's nothing more than an immature troll. Spends his time making disparaging' date=' mean-spirited remarks just to see if he can get a rise out of people. Best thing to do is just ignore him. Somebody didn't hug him enough, so he's taking it out on the rest of us... [/quote']

Thanks for the kind words.

I know nothing about the guy, but there are always people that want to piss on someone else's parade.

There are always some on any public forum.

Just like the pseudo-experts on this forum.

They know nothing about guitars, which is obvious from the questions that they ask, and the statements that they make, but they like to post their useless opinions.

It's too bad, because there are people that come here for information, and have good manners and common sense.

Archived