Gibson Brands Forums

Posting Serial #...Good or Bad?

vern_s

A fine fellow from the vanderbilly forum said this to me the other day:

Tusker65, a tiny word of advice from an old guy...because of all the copies being made overseas and sold in this country,and Europe, I wouldn't post complete serial numbers of any guitar..its possible some Chinese copy will have your serial number on it and cause you major problems...for what its worth...

shes a Beauty btw

Guys...its not the guitar...It's in your heart and soul. " Dennis Dullea

Before you start asking, yeah, unfortunately my handle vern_s was taken, so I'm Tusker65 on vanderbilly; awesome video lessons btw, but I was just wondering what you folks thought of his statement? It makes sense to me.

I think the fear is overblown.

I talked to Gibson about this a couple times, concerning fakes and counterfeits.

They told me most fakes they found have a BS serial number anyway.

They don't really go to the trouble of capturing your specific number, and the trouble of making a guitar to match it.

If we're talking vintage, that's a different story....

Still, to err on the side of caution, I don't publish full serials in public forums.

Anything we can do to expose fakes is a good thing, eh?

If we're talking vintage' date=' that's a different story....

Anything we can do to expose fakes is a good thing, eh?[/quote']

I can see your point, I will never sell my LP anyways, unless someone offers me a price I can't refuse, which is highly unlikely, But as for an expensive vintage model, it could potentially create problems for sure. And yes, it just sucks that there are fakes out there, so exposing them is a very good thing!

Thanks for your opinions guys!

I agree, but at the same time, I won't post my own.

Anybody that makes LP copies can easily make up a s/n. Here's one. 012470235.

I just made that up, but I'm sure there's a guitar out there with this number.

Once you understand the s/n and can break it down, you can easily make one up.

...and it's not like this is secret information. Gibson.com even tells you how to read it.

I agree with Neo, these guys can easily find out what a real LP exactly looks like but never do. How often do we see the same crap coming in with 3 hole TR covers and a discolored deformed body. Gibson even sells authentic TR covers seperately! As well as stopbars, p'up covers, and other parts. It would be simple to make a better look-a-like, but difficult to match the quality.

Counterfeiters just prey on gullibility and ignorance. That's where they're gonna make the quick buck they need. They're gonna spend as little as possible money wise, which will exclude importing these real parts and springing on a real LP as a model. It's just like buying a car. It is your homework vs their swagger. If you don't know exactly what you're buying and how much you need to pay, you got really ripped off. What's the difference? Car dealers can do it legally.

In the end the guitar (as well as other things) buying world is about education and verification. If one is lacking, it shouldn't be a sale. I wouldn't mind posting my serial number because I can verify it with my paperwork which includes receipts, COA, case candy, etc. I can prove mine is real at the end of the day... can the other guy?

If you post the full serial number' date=' how hard is it for somebody to file a police report that it's their "stolen" guitar?[/quote']

As easy as it is for them to prove ownership. "He said she said" won't cut it for a police report. This is way too complicated for a guitar theif. That kind of scum would rather stalk you at a gig and swipe your stuff when you're talking to that really hot chick.

Email, maybe. Post it? I don't think I'd do it again, I did ask Customer Service why my Goldtop had a 6 digit number, when U.S.A. models were supposed to have 9, funny thing was, he didn't know either, or wasn't aware they were doing 6 numbers.

How about a third choice?

Ninety-nine point nine percent of the time...

unnecessary.

Well, it wasn't that I was posting the serial # intentionally, but I have always wanted to own an American made guitar and now I finally have one. I'm very proud of that and I wanted to show off the Made in USA (mine also has the year on it as well, not sure when they started doing that) on the back of the headstock, which as we all know just happens to have the serial # on it as well. Besides, you see the same pic of all kinds of guitars, whether it's to show what type of tuning pegs it has, or some want to show you the serial #, especially on e-bay! Not only that, but I’ve seen some of the wood grain and color of the some headstocks that weren’t all that pretty and I happen to think mine looks awesome! I guess I’ll edit the pic to hide it if I ever post it again.

Archived