Gibson Brands Forums

Best Strings for a DR-500ME Masterbilt

Lpitt56

Hi Folks, I recently purchased a DR-500ME Masterbilt and I love it. The only thing that is bugging me a bit is the strings are tearing up my fingers. I have used Elixers Nanoweb lites for many years on my Taylor and I have gotten use to their coating. I have good caulises but these Gibson Masterbilt strings are killing my fingers.

Only problem is that I love the sound coming from this guitar... so my question is will I loose some of these sound if I put a set on Elixers on this guitar?

Lp

Hey that's a great guitar you bought! I've played DR-500M once and I was blown away with the sound. Considering the strings.. you can put the elixirs on safely. You will probably get even better sound from your guitar. You'll have to change the strings sooner or later and I doubt that you will find the same strings as on guitar manufacturer setup. cheers

I agree about D'Addario EXPs. I used 10 and 11 gauges for a few years and they generate very nice and warm sound. Great, warm, and a little fuzzy bass (just the way I like it) and clean shimmering highs. The only problem is that they get worn out very soon. Or it's just me.. Anyway Elixir and D'Addario EXP are both great strings. Try them both

Yep, those are great strings. I will rotate around some and teh D'Addario EXP also have a micro thin coating the really feels good under your fingers. Right now I'm playing every day and giging two to three weekends a month and having to change strings about every four weeks, so I may just buy the Elixers, the D' Addarios and a spare set of the Gibson Masterbilts strings and compare them over the next couple of months. I'll let you know how the test pans out.

Thanks for the post!

Lp

Hi folks, Just my Masterbilt DR-500ME a few days ago. I'm not jazzed about the strings either. Am I correct that they come from the factory with 12s on them ? I am used to 11s and find the stock strings on my 500ME a bit tough on the fingers. Also, will making the switch from the stock 12s(if that is what they are) down to 11s cause any problems and if anyone has done this, did you have to adjust the neck at all ?

Thanks in advance

Hi -

Shortly after I bought my DR500M, I contacted Epiphone to find out what strings are installed from the factory. Here's the reply I received,

Regards

"Sorry about the confusion! All Masterbilt steel-string guitars come from the factory with Gibson Masterbuilt .012-.052. It will not void your warranty to use medium-guage strings, it will just require the appropriate neck adjustments to accommodate for the increased neck tension. I hope this information is helpful! Thanks for the inquiry!"

Best regards,

Benton Cummings

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

• 9 years later...

I just bought a 3 pack of Martin Life Span 12s and 1 set of 11s. Coated, long lasting great sounding.

Had them delivered. Spending the weekend restringing my three Masterbilts and 2006 Martin DC Aura.

Edited by mgrasso

Both my Masterbits have D'Addario  EJ16's on them.  I don't care for coated strings.  If you plug in alot I think they are great. 

But I don't care for them straight acoustic.  Their only advantage I find is  they last longer.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My DR500MCE was built in 2011 I bought it new in 2012   I have played  11 and 52 D'addario  EXP26 coated since day one and think there great. It didn't lose any tone  at tall going  from 12 and 53's just had to do a very small truss rod adjustment is all.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering how all you guys went over time (i see this thread is a few years old now). Have you guys changed up the strings and if you have, which ones are now your favourites for the epiphone masterbuilt MCE. 

Have any brands or guages risen to the top?