Gibson Brands Forums

Best Bass Performance I Ever Saw?

eggs

Hmm, well i was chilling (chilling ended up being like 6 weeks of hanging around to see the bands album progress) in a recording studio in brunswick, victoria, i know the guys who own the studio.

and they had this band recording there album, and well the bassist of this band was just AMAZING, he was unbeievably fast and accurate, he had real groove & soul when playing and was very creative at writting bass lines for his band. he played some warwick bass, set him back about $2,500, was funky looking but had very punchy sound, was nice.

Probably Jaco Pastorius with Weather Report at the Orpheum in Boston the late seventies or early eighties. Joe Zawinul, Wayne Shorter and crew touring in support of the Black Market album, I think. We had side balcony seats, a close unobstructed view of everything, it was stunning. And the kicker was that John McLaughlin/Shakti was the "warm up" act.

The other bass player that blew my mind was Tony Levin playing the Chapman Stick for Peter Gabriel in support of the Shock the Monkey album, same venue.

Both Pastorius and Levin were jaw-droppingly amazing.

Best Bass performance that I've actually seen live would be Mic Todd of Coheed & Cambria. He has a very interesting style. Somewhere in between standard finger-style and the John Entwistle-typewriter-style.

I have to go with Geezer Butler ( saw him a few times).

Ever like this?

images1vg.jpg

Yep' date=' Geezer was superb![/b']

But it's killing me all the guys you guys have seen (multiple times even!!!)

Then again... I did ask#-o

Ever like this?

images1vg.jpg

Yep' date=' Geezer was superb![/b']

But it's killing me all the guys you guys have seen (multiple times even!!!)

Then again... I did ask#-o

LOL

I guess I shouldn't tell you about seeing Randy Rhoads twice and SRV five times...oops too late[biggrin]

Steve Harris at Blossom Music Center 2 years ago... You can't deny that mans ability! His fingers are moving so fast and he writes the best bass fills ever.

Welcome kent' date='

You sent me scurrying to YouTube... &, yep, this IS pretty cool!

[youtube']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3k6k7Be7A8&feature=related

PS: We have another cool Ohio forum member... Old_Ampeg_Guy... that signs in pretty regularly.

Best I personally saw had to be Rick Shulman of Gentle Giant at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia back in the early 80's (late 70's?). Of course, to be fair, over these many, many years, truth be told, I haven't actually been to a lot of live performances. That, of course does nothing to lessen my opinion of Shulman as a bassist.

Best I personally saw had to be Rick Shulman of Gentle Giant at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia back in the early 80's (late 70's?). Of course' date=' to be fair, over these many, many years, truth be told, I haven't actually been to a lot of live performances. That, of course does nothing to lessen my opinion of Shulman as a bassist.[/quote']

Ah Bat... so I see that you are 'Mister Class & Quality'[biggrin]

Hope you enjoy this (if you will excuse my 'Funny Ways')...

Thanks for that, eggs.

Unfortunately for me, the sound on my PC is kaput, and I can't appreciate the video in all it's Giantness. If you or anyone else is interested, there is some video floating around on YT of recent footage of 3 (listed under "Three Friends", natuarlly) of the former members of GG at a gig. Check it out. I think it's Gary Green on guitar, Gary Shulman on vocals, and Kerry Minnear on keys, and some newbies on bass and drums.

Archived