Gibson Brands Forums

EB-3 BASS ORIGINS

nitrostan56

Good Afternoon! First post here.. It appears this quite a dedicated and knowledgable group. So, I thought I'd give it a try.

I recently bought an EB-3 from ebay. I think its quite a find, but after reading many posts and after some research I did, I think I'd better see what's behind it all.

Basically, its a 4-string FRETLESS. I haven't see one listed anywhere and looking at the fingerboard, I've a feeling it was converted. They did a good job...its straight and true to my sight.

I looked at the Gibson site for S/N search. Their data formats dont match what is on this rig.

Do y'all have any thoughts / experience with this bass as too its date of mfg, built-as status (fretted?), or any other info. It does appear to be Made in China (single neck bolt). The neck also appears to have been "sprayed" with a finish of some sort that is not stock.

Thank you all in advance. I hope you have a sane Memorial Day.

Heres the back of the headstock.

set-72157624175771202

Heres the full link for all pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitrostan56/sets/72157624175771202/

Thanks, Peter! I hadn't heard of a Fretless EB-3 either, all the more reason I found it an interesting piece. Again, not a bad job; it plays well. I guess I'd have picked a different model to convert, but Cest La Vie or some such quote. Cheers! Stan

Yes Cat, it has flats on it. I appear to be the third owner, it originated in Toronto Canada, then Florida. Its spent more time at the post office than a gig! I'll track down a Bassman to try it on! THX!

Archived