Gibson Brands Forums

Silly question about name of pickups

alans056

That's probably the official name of it, I'm pretty sure it stands for "pickup" or "passive". Gibson.com shows only two pickups with "57" in the title, the '57 classic and the '57 classic plus. I put one of each in a guitar the year that these came out, very good pickups but I wouldn't change out stock Gibson humbucker pickups that come on a LP Standard for these, not that much of a difference. Actually I prefer the stock pickups. I used the '57's on an old lp copy, the pickups cost more than that guitar did. I wasn't blown away by them.

Now if you're into old school Heavy Metal, the Iommi pickup is a monster pickup. for newer metal the Gibson 500T.

thanks a lot!

It's weird that you say that because I read a lot of people on forums & such, that the stock PU on Gibson LP's (490R and 498T) are really bad, and they prefer the '57.

The sound I'm looking for is not Metal or Heavy Metal at all, it's a big warm tone like this (singer guitar) :

Lots of reverb, and you know that unique sound !

From what I read, it should be perfect !

thanks a lot!

It's weird that you say that because I read a lot of people on forums & such' date=' that the stock PU on Gibson LP's (490R and 498T) are really bad, and they prefer the '57.

The sound I'm looking for is not Metal or Heavy Metal at all, it's a big warm tone like this (singer guitar) :

Lots of reverb, and you know that unique sound !

From what I read, it should be perfect ![/quote']

I have read the same thing about the 490r/498t in LPs. I have the 490/498 in my Epi LP and I can not complain. Yes, the 498t is a little "thin", but it gives me that old vintage vibe that I like. This whole pickup thing is a matter of taste.

But, let me throw this wrench in the mix. Listen to this guitar player using the 490r/498t.

Impressive tone...........IMHO. I believe that he plays the 498t all the way through the clip. The "thin" one.

Nice clip, I liked that guy's playing.

What amp your playing through also has a big impact on the tone (not that I'm telling you something new).

imo the two 57's are going to cost @ $200us or more for new ones. worth it for an epi I guess but listen to all the music that's been recorded with stock Gibson pickups over the decades. It don't get much better.

Are you replacing Gibson pickups with the 57's?

Thank you for the answers.

Yes that guy is really cool, and the sound is excellent, I love it.

I actually have the stock Eiphone pickups... Ugh ! So I really want to replace them by good ones, I think it's best.

Thank you for the answers.

Yes that guy is really cool' date=' and the sound is excellent, I love it.

I actually have the stock Eiphone pickups... Ugh ! So I really want to replace them by good ones, I think it's best.[/quote']

yes you should be very happy with any Gibson pickups that you choose, good luck.

here's one from a cool guy that I've met over the years because of the internet (and now that I found this place there's more cool people to add) This guy gets a killer tone with any guitar but I really love the sound of his Gibson SG Standard. Here he does a great job capturing the way Ted Nugent plays solos, not an easy thing to do. The stock pickups sound pretty damn good to my ears.

"MarkMusicman" one of YT's best imo and a really nice guy. check his channel out he's does lots of different kinds of music and sings on some.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

hi there ,just thought i'de let you know about these pups that are relatively cheap but sound excellent , i have a set of the blues engines in my epi lp and for old school stuff (zz top , bowie ect) they can't be beat [biggrin] . I also have a set of the hot slags in my sg , i really wish i had just got another set of blues engines for it though , anyway heres a link , cheers

Alan

http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_102.htm

Archived