Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MaxHart85231281734137

reverb tubes?

The reverb driver takes a pretty vicious pounding, so whatever you put in there has to be robust. I'm not sure what the specific tube is there, but if it's like a Fender, it's a 12AT7, in which case, you're probably best off paying extra for a JAN Phillips, but make DAMN sure you buy from someone reputable, who's not only testing VERY carefully, but is willing to stand behind the tubes with a warranty of some sort. The reverb driver doesn't affect the tone of the amp, but it will affect the reverb itself.

The EL84s are best replaced by JJ, imo, tho again, make sure you're buying from a place that tests and stands behind their tubes. Even NOS are highly suspect these days, so don't just buy over the counter or from some ebay clown that may be hard to get warranty from.

I recently bought a pair of EXPENSIVE new product EL84s from an ebay store, and it was about 10 days before I could get into my tech buddy to have him check them out. They tested basically as if they were completely worn out, so I went back to Mr. Clown to get a refund, and he actually FOUGHT with me through email! It wasn't until I threatned the loser that I FINALLY got him to agree to refund my cash.

I've had both good and bad luck with several different brands of new production AND NOS tubes, so again, stick with a reputable dealer that you can trust. I usually use JJ, but have also had good luck with Tung Sol. The Chinese 9th gen 12ax7s are very reliable and test fairly strong for gain, for the most part, but aren't the most harmonically rich tubes I've ever used. Ymmv.

I would personally tend to shy from offering online stores, seeing as how none of them sponsor this particular site, but since you asked...

I've personally never had a problem with anything I've gotten from EuroBob. A buddy of mine has had a couple of tubes that went microphonic, and they were just beyond warranty, so he ate them. Not a knock there against Bob at all...virtually all new production tubes have notorious tendancies for microphonics, some worse than others.

I've also had good luck with The Amp Doctor, and others I've spoken with have been treated right by Mike at KCA tubes and Doug's tubes. You might also consider locating and visiting a local amp tech. Those guys tend to see it all.

Can I just chime in that if you DO need 12AT7s. Good quality NOS JAN tubes are about 5-10$ more than new russian tubes. Only diff is the JAN tubes are more likely to last 20 years.