Gibson Brands Forums

Damage from humbucker covers?

tpurgatoryt

I wana put humbucker covers on my g-310.

I plan on using silicon and solder, silicone on the top of the humbucker to get the cover to stay on, and solder on the back of the h/bucker to secure the cover. Is there anyway this can cause damage?

You posted previously with a youtube video link showing the procedure. If done as in the video, it should be fine. If you grab a solder gun putting out 900 degrees and hold it on the pickup for a minute, chances are you'd damage the thing. Use common sense.

I wana put humbucker covers on my g-310.

I plan on using silicon and solder' date=' silicone on the top of the humbucker to get the cover to stay on, and solder on the back of the h/bucker to secure the cover. Is there anyway this can cause damage?[/quote']

If you do as the Youtube video shows, you don't need a nuclear-powered soldering iron. just make sure you hammer the sides of the covers in so that they grip tightly when you put the pup inside.

The soldering is more for closing the circuit/earthing than for grip.

Good luck.

You have asked this question already! Are you finally running out of rubbish to post?

Haha I'm sure we'll have another thread soon, wanna place bets on what the topic will be?

1. Will the Epi hardcase fit my SG-310? - 7/1

2. What strings should I replace the stock ones with? - 5/1

3. I can't find a good amp setting for crap-rock songs when playing my SG-310 which I bought because I'm a tool and forgot to reserve the guitar that I really wanted instead - 4/1

4. Will polishing my guitar damage the finish? - 3/1

5. I decided not to get the pup covers and go for the "Zing-Chong-Han Alnico 5 Super Hot" Humbuckers, does anyone know if these will be easy to fit? - 2/1

and of course my favourite.........

Odds on for - A repeat of a previous post, just re-worded using sloppier english and a half-baked justification as to why he is asking, whilst sitting in his room in his pants.

Why be such a jerk fantana?

honestly if you dont like it, do not waste your oh so ****ing precious time on the topics i make.

1. i know what hardcase will fit my sg.

2. iv already resturng it with slinky 8-46's.

3. i dont just play rock, and i know how to set my eq up, also the sg was on my list of wnated guitars, it just so happened they didnt have the Lp GT, but had another guitar i wanted and for more of a bargain.

4. it quite obviously wont.

5. seeing as i FOUND OUT that those LPSAR pickups are no good, i wont get them, i was inquiring as to what brand they were cause i couldn't find it myself.

6. iv never actually repeated a post, why repeat when i get the answer from the first thread? and i shouldnt have to justify anything, seeing as your all such a helpfull community. so far iv had a small handfull who are remotly helpful.

purg, why don't you buy some upgrades with the covers already on. You'll save yourself a hassle and the guitar will sound better. I mean if you're gonna go through the bother you might as well do it right.

GFS has reasonably priced pickups.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html

or

look for a real pair of used Gibsons on Ebay.

*ps if you want your guitar to sound better than use .10's instead of .8's for strings.

see' date=' im too worried to do the wiring and all with new humbuckers, cause im inexperienced with it, but i should have no worries with just covers.[/quote']

do you know anyone who can install them for you? plus they don't have to be soldered, I have spliced the wires together many times and it works fine, just remember to use electrical tape to make sure that the exposed wires never contact each other. Tape each connection individually,you don't need much, and then tape around both wires together.

< on my LP Jr. I spliced the new pickup. You may have heard it on my YT channel....works great and it will work permanently if you tape them correctly. pre-cut the tape,much easier.

*make sure you have the pole pieces on the correct side. neck=on the neck side, bridge=on the bridge side

see' date=' im too worried to do the wiring and all with new humbuckers, cause im inexperienced with it, but i should have no worries with just covers.[/quote']

It's very easy to change pickups, its a matter of unscrewing the pickup, unscrewing the control cavity cover, looking where the pickups are soldered, most likely to the volume knob(s) there will be only 2 connections coming out of 1 wire that appears from the body of the guitar. Work out which is which and match them up to the new pickup's 2 wires. unsolder the old one and pull it out, put the new one in and solder it in.

Lots of people would take out their pickup before they cover it anyway, so I can't see it really being more complicated. It's a lot easier to solder electronically to a pot than it is mechanically to 2 sheets of metal and there's no silicone involved.

If it was a pickup you really love or a vintage one that you just couldn't live without but for some reason need to cover, I'd say covering it would be your choice, but if its just the stock pickup and you're not bothered, you'd be much better off just changing the whole pickup while you're there. There are a lot of choices out there, especially from big names such as Gibson, Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio; and a few smaller companies that I can't really vouch for, but I'd stick to the big ones because winding pickups is more of an art than a science it's hard to predict what it will sound like until it's made and; while its not hard to make one that works, it takes a hell of a lot of experience to make one that sounds significantly better than the stock epi ones.

Don't go too hard on the poor guy; a lot of guitarrists are very old or new to computers and it takes some getting used to how to use forums in the interwebs.

Haha I'm sure we'll have another thread soon' date=' wanna place bets on what the topic will be?

1. Will the Epi hardcase fit my SG-310? - 7/1

2. What strings should I replace the stock ones with? - 5/1

3. I can't find a good amp setting for crap-rock songs when playing my SG-310 which I bought because I'm a tool and forgot to reserve the guitar that I really wanted instead - 4/1

4. Will polishing my guitar damage the finish? - 3/1

5. I decided not to get the pup covers and go for the "Zing-Chong-Han Alnico 5 Super Hot" Humbuckers, does anyone know if these will be easy to fit? - 2/1

and of course my favourite.........

Odds on for - A repeat of a previous post, just re-worded using sloppier english and a half-baked justification as to why he is asking, whilst sitting in his room in his pants.[/quote']

What a **** post. I LIKE IT![wink]

Archived