Gibson Brands Forums

Limited edition Flying V bass

BatHead

I am considering getting the limited edition Flying V bass available at Musician's Friend, but I wanted to confirm that it is indeed a long (34") scale as it states in the listing on their website. I am sure it is, but it's hard to tell from the pic, and I just wanted to make absolutely sure before I buy it. Can anyone confirm this for me? Also, can anyone tell me if the Dean hard case for their Metal man V or ML basses will fit this? Or are there other cases that will do? As far as I can tell Epiphone does not seem to make a case to fit it. Any help y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it is a long scale. I played a used on yesterday. Pretty nice, but that 3-point bridge has to go.:( Slap on the Hipshot replacement and it's good to go.

suptonegld.jpg

As far as the case goes, it MAY fit in a Flying V guitar case, It's not very big. I'm thinking they use Flying V guitar bodies, with the bridge scooted back to achieve the long scale. But I've been wrong before.

Thanks.

As far as the Hipshot, that's probably what I'll do.

As far as the case, I'm pretty sure the guitar case won't fit, I was thinking of the Dean case because their Metalman V and ML basses are long scale Flying V and V/Explorer blends which, except for the headstock look to be the same basic size and shape as the Epi V bass.

if a flying V bass fits in a regular flying V case' date=' then one of them isn't the real thing.[/quote']

I'm just saying the guitar case is freakin' huge, and the bass is pretty small for a long scale bass...

Are you quite sure it was a long scale bass and not the older (you did say it was used) short scale (30") V bass then? I think the long scale would be huge compared to a guitar. No way any long scale bass would fit in a guitar case of any kind. A long scale bass on average is about 6-8" longer than a guitar. I don't care how big the case looks. It probably is bigger than the average guitar case, but only because the Flying V guitar is larger that the average guitar, and the flying V bass would be way bigger. It wouldn't fit. Not even the shorter 30" bass would fit in the V guitar case.

Oh' date=' and by the by, I can put a Jazz Bass in my Explorer case. So....[/quote']

OK, fair enough, but I can see that as the Explorer body is pretty big, it may be in total just as large as a Jazz bass, albeit a different shape, (and maybe becasue of it) but all things being equal, a particular bass with the same body as a particular guitar (in this case the Epiphone V) will be too large for a case made for that particular guitar.

I just got my V bass today from musicians friend and it was a short scale (30") ..... I have been waiting for a long time for a 34" V bass ....I looked on most every site that sold this bass and the epiphone was listed as a 34" .... so I called MF and said they sent me a short scale and on their site they advertised a long scale .. they are looking into it and will call me tommorrow....... I cant believe that I am the only one that has bought this bass that knows the difference.......

Hopefully they screwed up and sent me the short one....... I will report what was said but dont buy this long scale bass till I hear back form them

R

Man that sucks[angry] I was surprised to see it listed as a 34" scale. I tried one of the older ones and hated the 30" scale. Good luck, I hope they acutally have a 34" one to send you. I have a feeling we are going to see a change in the discripition.

I just got my V bass today from musicians friend and it was a short scale (30") ..... I have been waiting for a long time for a 34" V bass ....I looked on most every site that sold this bass and the epiphone was listed as a 34" .... so I called MF and said they sent me a short scale and on their site they advertised a long scale .. they are looking into it and will call me tommorrow....... I cant believe that I am the only one that has bought this bass that knows the difference.......

Hopefully they screwed up and sent me the short one....... I will report what was said but dont buy this long scale bass till I hear back form them

R

If that's the case, I'm gonna make sure I call them before ordering.

I also don't want a short scale bass. I'll make sure to mention your story when I do call.

Let us know what happens.

Man that sucks[angry] I was surprised to see it listed as a 34" scale. I tried one of the older ones and hated the 30" scale. Good luck' date=' I hope they acutally have a 34" one to send you. [b']I have a feeling we are going to see a change in the discripition[/b].

I don't know. it's been listed as a long scale for a few months now. If there was a mistake in the listing, I'm farly sure it would have been caught by now. Anyway, we'll see what they say when I call in my order.

Guitar Center, Amazon, Sweetwater, Sam Ash, Biz Rate, Rock Star Music, and MF all list this as a 34". I guess we should be cautious in this world of "cut and paste" Unfortunately, Epiphone does not have the listed on their site. I should have called Epiphone first [biggrin] . I went back and read all of the reviews and not one person even pointed out that it was a 30" not a 34" in their review.

On a positive side it does seem to be a really quality bass that has a solid tone and looks great in the stand. Im 6'7" so when im playing it it looks like a kiddie bass and I have to watch the frets cause I will overreach notes otherwise.

So we will see what happens with the MF response. If MF did make a mistake and tries to charge me a nickel to return it I am going to be PR s***storm for them.

to be continued...........

Hey Bat & randy,

Just thought I'd say welcome to the forum...

& weird coincidence you both looking at V basses at the same time eh!

Update your signatures & post some pics of your current gear when you have a chance.

Anyway, good to have you onboard[cool]

Thanks, eggmuffins.

Just a quick history, I had an Epi G-310 a few years back as a secondary instrument to my bass. I enjoyed it, I was impressed with how well it was made. I've been considering the V bass as you've noticed because of that previous experience with Epiphone,. but, if it is indeed short scale, that would be a deal breaker. I would still consider another Epi bass, perhaps the EB-3, as I had a Gibson EB-3 some years ago, it was a piece of beat to crap junk, but I liked the feel and sound of it, I could tell at one time it had been an excellent bass, and I've heard the the Epi version is as good, if not better.

A T-bird isn't out of the question, either.

I may have to go with a Squier 75 Jazz bass VM, though.

We'll just have to see.

Desicions, decisions!

(as far as pics of my gear goes, I wish I could, but unfortunately I have no camera. Something ELSE to spend money on! Sheesh!)

A T-bird isn't out of the question' date=' either.[/quote']

GASing for a standard Epi T/bird myself Bat... with this one on Oz ebay a bit too young (I like 90's MIK's) & a bit too far away...

tbirdpro.jpg

but almost bought 'The Weidbird's' twin the other day, with a view to humbucking her senseless...

bvp9tpqbmkkgrhqmokj0evn.jpg

although this Gibby has me in a cold sweat at present...

gibsoneb0dc1.jpg

Understand re the pics... geet priorties rule hey[cool]!

Rock on Bat

So after 4 days of the Musicians freinds people going out to the warehouse to measure the basses and getting no reply i called Gibson and they confirmed that they never made a 34" scale bass ...... the korina is actually a 30.5 bass...... Gibson told me that they would contact all their internet resellers and change the description....

MF is giving me a full refund and paying the shipping back to their warehouse ... so nothing was lost....

Im looking at the BC Rich Deluxe NJ 5 string now.... I had wanted to stay with Epiphone after my great experience with my Blackbird bass.... Maybe they will get the hint and comeup with a longscale V

It'll overbalance.

of course it would .......but it certainly would not be the first time gibson put out a great looking bass with a tendancy to nosedive...... I had a 68 reverse thunderbird that would be half way to the floor every time i let go

... if they could make a bass body in proportion with the neck rather than using the guitar body.....also if it was a proper bass body you could move the rearstrap up a few inches ..... and if that didnt work hollow out the end of the bottom wing with a place for lead weights so that you could adjust the balance.

Just a heads up.

As of today, June 23rd, the listing on the Musician's Friend website has now changed from saying it has a 34" scale to now stating it has a 30.5 " scale.

I am very much disappointed. I guess I'll have to be satsified with a Squier 70's Jazz Bass VM. [biggrin]

. . . although this Gibby has me in a cold sweat at present... . . ..

Hey' date=' S. Just checking in. What was the Gibby's asking price? Nice bass, that one.

Randy, IIRC Gibson [i']did[/i] manufacture long-scale basses, the EB-0L and the EB-3L. They weren't made all that long, but I have seen at least one in action (I was in bands back in the 1960s through 80s). I believe the scale was 34.5". I can't imagine what they'd cost nowadays (but I'm sure it would be a lot).

OAG

Gibson did manufacture long-scale basses' date=' the EB-0L and the EB-3L.

OAG

[/quote']

Guess I should have been clearer Gibson/Epiphone told me they never made a longscale V bass. I looked up the EB-0L and the EB-3L and they were "SG" bodied long scale basses. If you can point me to a picture of a gibson longscale V I would love to see it...

Yah, Old_Ampeg_Guy, I had a long scale EB-3L during the eighties. Don't have a clue as to how old it was(or it's worth), I'm guessing 70's? I bought it off a member of our band for about a $100. It was beat to **** and had a few problems like a couple of dead spots along the neck, but I found it quite enjoyable to play, and it had a nice old school thump to it. Which is why I may get an Epi version at some point, if it comes even close to that, I'll be happy.

I later traded it in for $80 off the price ($350) of a '78 Precision , defeinitely a step in the right direction.

Archived