Gibson Brands Forums

can't identify this bass

daytripper

It appears to be an Epiphone Embassy modified with Fender pickups. They were produced between 1963 and 1969, but the headstock on this one makes it a 1965 or later.

It also would have had a second cover over the neck pickup, which you can still see the mounting screws for.

The serial number should follow Gibson standards. Make sure you mark all necessary things on the form.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

There's one on eBay for $2500 right now with a similar pickup replacement and new tuners.

I also suspect yours was refinished, based on the gloss of the body and the matching headstock. Epiphone didn't do coloured headstocks.

I also suspect yours was refinished' date=' based on the gloss of the body and the matching headstock. Epiphone didn't do coloured headstocks.[/quote']

I don't know. You MAY be right, but Gibson did match the contoured section of custom color T-bird headstock during the same period. Since the Embassy is basically a stripped down T-bird (that doesn't have the same contoured headstock), the whole thing may have gotten a color coat. But I've been wrong before...

The colour inside the pickup routes also suggest a refinish... Gibsons aren't finished inside' date=' unless that's only occurred since moving to Nashville.[/quote']

And that wouldn't have been made in Nashville since they didn't move until the the late 70's...

I like to keep my rubbish to myself, but thank you for the offer. I can't decipher the serial number, it seems that was hammered or something like that, and it is very worn out.

Since this bass was an offer, i think i made a pretty good deal, huh ?

Thank you for your help!

And that wouldn't have been made in Nashville since they didn't move until the the late 70's...

Which was part of my point. Without having a Kalamazoo Gibson (electric) to compare to, I can't say for sure that they didn't finish inside the cavities, but they don't in Nashville, so either the practice has changed or this bass has been refinished.

I still very much doubt that they did coloured headstocks, especially with the logo appearing in a black rectangle.

Archived