Gibson Brands Forums

Just wanting to show off the new amp!

jammybstard

It's been six month's in the making but I've finally finished my amp;

It's a 1x12 Combo with a slightly modified Ampmaker Kit and an old 1970's Celestion Greenback I've had kicking around unused for a few years. The woods all Pine stained Two-Tone to go with the Riviera.

I'm loving it, I havent had an amp for years I've been using simulators on the computer (It's just not the same!) and It's my first Valve amp.

The badge if of a Sunbeam Rapier which I think really suits the amp and it's also of one of my dads cars from the 70's

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

244690f1.jpg

ee6ec8ad.jpg

Looks great

Only thing I'd do from a personal perspective is sand the front smooth and give it a few coats of lightly tinted varnish.

Agreed if nothing to just give you a slight chance of wiping off the inevitable "beverage" that WILL get spilt on it!!!!

Very nice! How does she sound?

As a hobby, I refinish furniture and want to throw my backing in on getting multicoats of sealant on the amp. You don't necessarily need ot go with a tinted one, but you'll regret not doing it once that first stain shows up.

And as a former route sales driver for Sunbeam bread, I love the badge!!

Sheila

A friend from my young adulthood drove an Alpine and every roadtrip with him was an adventure. We broke down more than half of the time we took it 20+ miles from home. Everything was tooled to Wentworth standard, an entirely British specification that was somewhere between metric and SAE, for the most part, but had some wrench (excuse me, spanner) sizes that weren't even CLOSE to anything else. Taking the toolbox with us was out because it was too big to fit in the boot (that's the trunk) so we usually wound up calling a friend with a pickup to come tow us home. Thanks for the senior memory moment!

Thanks guys your very kind;

To be honest, The cat prefers been upstairs with the misses listening to Bach!

It does sound great, I just got a Burstbucker Pro in the bridge too and that is a jangley combination made in heaven at low drive and sweet tone when the drives wound up! the P94 in the neck with a clean middly sound is pure Grant Green!

There is about three coats of Clear varnish on it! it's deffinatly sealed!

There was nothing wrong with the Witworth system Snookel; It was the rest of the world that had it wrong. My Grandad died a couple of years ago and when we cleaned out his sheads we found so many jars of Witworth screws, I guess he was hanging on to them in case the rest of the world realised they'd made a terrible mistake and decided to re-tool!

A friend from my young adulthood drove an Alpine and every roadtrip with him was an adventure. We broke down more than half of the time we took it 20+ miles from home. Everything was tooled to Wentworth standard' date=' an entirely British specification that was somewhere between metric and SAE, for the most part, but had some wrench (excuse me, spanner) sizes that weren't even CLOSE to anything else. Taking the toolbox with us was out because it was too big to fit in the boot (that's the trunk) so we usually wound up calling a friend with a pickup to come tow us home. Thanks for the senior memory moment![/quote']

Actually there were two Whitworth standards - Full Whitworth & Auto Whitworth, Auto WHitworth being the one most people come across.

In terms of across flats size it is different to UNC/ANC but is interchangeable in terms of thread from 1/4" through to 1" (with the exception of 1/2") as long as the thread length is no more than 1.5X the diameter. This is due to the pitch being the same but the included angle at the thread root being different.

The only screws which aren't interchangeable in the machine screw range are countersunk/flat head as the head angle is different (90 deg for Imperial and 82 deg for UNC/ANC). This of course doesn't apply to aerospace of course as the standard there is 100 deg for both.

Actually a lot of the fixings on the Alpine would have been BSF and BA as well.

I'll take my anorak off now (actually I was technical & Sales Manager for a fastener manufacturer & distributor here in the UK for a number of years and my father and grandfather had been in the industry for nearly a century so in the blood so to speak!)

Didn't mean to touch hot spots, but YOU should try finding tools to fit a rare (and break-down prone) British sports car in muscle-car crazy middle America in the 60's on a Saturday night 30 miles from home, and late for a date! You might appreciate my less-than-fond memories just a bit more. Of course, the same thing happened with various BSAs, Triumphs, Nortons and Harleys in later years, but by then I had learned to simply find a bar, make a courtesy call to cancel the date and try to find someone cute and cuddly to put me up and keep me warm through the night.

Back to the amp. No disrespect to anyone's memories.

Did you make it from a kit' date=' or piece by piece?

Where did you get the parts? Did you do all the soldering?

[/quote']

I was going to build it from scratch but then I stumbled on http://ampmaker.com/ good quality parts and good prices, it actually works out cheaper to buy from Amp maker than to try and get all the parts togeather yourself. I soldered it up in an evening and i did a few mods later. I've had a few jobs that involved alot of soldering over the last few years and build HiFi stuff also so it was fairly routine for me. You'd want to have a practice before diving in.

05032010217.jpg

I built the cab at home from laminated pine sheets, it's expensive pine but streight and good quality. I did the sums and worked out how to get it cut from a single sheet in the timber shop; we're lucky in York, rather than BnQ we still have a proper timber yard who'll cut it to size for you at no extra cost.

Then I used a router to cut the channel for the knobs (Not a fantastic job if you look close) and the Speaker hole.

Amp maker will sell you a cab that looks pretty similar actually if you wanted to avoid all that bother.

The Speaker came from ebay; I bought three taken out of an old Orange Cab.

Rare beasts Clestion Green back Pre-Rolas from 1972

03112008551.jpg

03112008552.jpg

But the genius who posted them to me stacked them inside each other and boxed them up; only the top one survived; I was going to recone the other two, but a rerplacement cone from Celestion is almost the same price as a Re-issue Greenback so I guess they're dead!

The amps handle also came from eBay.

I will have to record some samples at some point.

Archived