Gibson Brands Forums

SG G-400 Hardware

SammyD

Hey all. I have myself a G-400 SG that I am wishing to upgrade. Am probablyy going to put a pair of DiAzmo pickups in it but am wondering if I should also look at changing the hardware?

I'm not to fimiliar with the hardware side of things with guitars so if anyone could make a suggestion to me of what hardware would result in the best improvment tone wise I would be happy :-

Thanks

Sam

I really don't see any need for improvement with the hardware. I have a '06 G400 and I even like the pups in it. Wonderful tone. The Grovers are superb. You might want to get some new saddles for the bridge, but other than that I don't think it's needed. Replace the original nut if you haven't already done that.

Now, electronics is a whole other story.

I had upgraded wiring installed, along with higher value caps. I noticed a difference.

I had the pups wired for independent control.

I also had to replace the switch. Worked great for about two years, and then it started giving me trouble. Put in a switchcraft and now it's fine. Sooner or later those switches usually crap out on you.

Regarding your Epiphone SG-400. If I were you I would just leave it alone. You (I have one too!) already have a great guitar. If you are a professional musician by all means change out your hardware. But I`m leaving mine alone. It sounds great just the way it is. I have a 50 watt Marshall and a couple of pedals and I am happy with what I got. As long as it still works I am leaving it the way it is. I seem to read about how everyone changes out their hardware, not knowing that the hardware I admit is`nt the best but again I am not the best player either. I don`t want to sound like anybody I just want to play to my heart`s content. Also I don`t have the bucks to keep seeking new gear every other month. My SG sounds great, I get the sounds that I like. But then again to each his (or her) own. Good luck on your path to sound heaven but play the hell out of your guitar first. Just my 2 cents though. I don`t want anyone to think I`m knocking them, it just seems that- no one is ever content with what they have already. Take care & enjoy yourself.

Hey all. Thanks for your replies. I think what I meant was what electronics should I replace but thank you for your suggestion to replace the Nut.

And oscardelgato I have had my gat for over 2 years now so it's not new to me. I am starting to get sick of the "muddy" tone that it produces which at first I kinda liked but now am aiming for a brighter tone. Thanks for your input thou :-

The Fender should be a pretty bright amp if it's like many Fenders, but I don't know what effects you might be using that may contribute to your complaint of muddiness. I'd judge bright/muddy through the clean channel with no effects, so that just the guitar is being evaluated. Which pickup is muddy, or is it both? I suspect your muddy complaint is more about the bridge pickup than the neck, since the bridge is the hot/overwound classic. A normal output humbucker in that position would probably be brighter than what's there. If you're not familiar with P90-type pickups, you may want to play some, preferably through your own amp if possible. P90s are usually brighter-sounding than humbuckers, and may or may not be to your liking, or be good for your playing styles. Oh, and roundwound strings are brighter than flats, and some alloys are brighter than others (see the D'Addario website). The other stuff you mentioned isn't going to produce a brighter-sounding tone, IMO. YMMV

Thanks a lot for that mission. It's the neck pickup that sounds the muddiest to me. I normally do play it clean (I love the distorted sounds I can get but that's through the Bridge pickup anyway)

I looked up the prices of the electronics and they seem cheap as chips! So might just improve my electronics when I get the pups changed anyway!

Sammy, I wish you the best of luck finding the tone you're lookin for - it's a challenging process, for sure. Makes sense to me to change out the rest of the electronics while you're at it. I suggest you do a bit of research about what types of pots are "best" for tone and volume - audio taper vs linear taper. I don't have that answer for you, but perhaps other knowledgeable members will chime in.

Archived