Gibson Brands Forums

New to the forum Advice please

littlelegs

Hello One and all from the South east UK,

I have been reading a number of the topics on Gibson acoustics of late as I'm in a position to buy a top end guitar. I recently had a Taylor 414ce for about 6 months and just couldnt get on with it so it has now departed. I recently tried a Hummingbird and was really taken with the sweetness of the sound. This was up against a Martin DM (I think) I know theres a big difference in price and I wanted to compare it to a D18 or D28 but the shop didnt have one. I have considered a J45 but it just doesn't produce a sound I'm comfortable with. Clearly the sound/ look of a guitar is very much a personal thing but I am interested to hear opinions. I'm very close to buying the hummingbird and I know this sounds corny but ity felt like it had soul, certainly compared to my taylor which really felt souless.

Your opinions, advice, comments would be most welcome. just to let you know I play in an acoustic/electric duo and do most of the singing. My acoustic is/will be plugged into an AER alpha.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum and lurk no more.

Gibson sweetness and soul is unpredictable and subjective. I think back on a day when I walked along a row of Gibsons, not even playing them, just swiping my finger across the strings of each. Some sounded okay, some sounded thin and lifeless, and then there was ONE that almost jumped off the rack at me. I then took it down and played it and thought the gates of Heaven opened up.

Was that a fair assessment? Absolutely not! Just showing that they are not predictable like the features on a cell phone or computer. They're going to have their own personality despite how much people would like to pidgeonhole them.

If that Hummingbird "spoke" to you, don't question it, just buy it.

Hello One and all from the South east UK' date='

I have been reading a number of the topics on Gibson acoustics of late as I'm in a position to buy a top end guitar. I recently had a Taylor 414ce for about 6 months and just couldnt get on with it so it has now departed. I recently tried a Hummingbird and was really taken with the sweetness of the sound. This was up against a Martin DM (I think) I know theres a big difference in price and I wanted to compare it to a D18 or D28 but the shop didnt have one. I have considered a J45 but it just doesn't produce a sound I'm comfortable with. Clearly the sound/ look of a guitar is very much a personal thing but I am interested to hear opinions. I'm very close to buying the hummingbird and I know this sounds corny but ity felt like it had soul, certainly compared to my taylor which really felt souless.

Your opinions, advice, comments would be most welcome. just to let you know I play in an acoustic/electric duo and do most of the singing. My acoustic is/will be plugged into an AER alpha.

[/quote']

Good morning Littlelegs

Welcome to the forum, now we can set up a Kent Branch!

How the hell have you found a choice of guitars in Tunbridge Wells?

There's only that shop on the hill isn't there?

We have been discussing in another thread the lack of guitar shops to look forat acoustics, if you are going to tell me there's a shop selling HBs 30 miles away then I will be very happy.

Any way returning to the point I agree entirely with KSD and many to come who will tell you that it's a personal thing.

How can it not be when it's your ears which hear it, your fingers which feel it and your dosh which pays for it?

The HB is a great guitar and has a huge number of devoted followers on this forum.

When America wakes up they'll tell you!

What HB is it? How old etc etc?

To me my J45 covers most things I want to do, the SWD12 is beautiful too.

Don't forget to tell us where you're buying it, AlbertJohn, Jinder and I are all based South/SouthEast and we'd welcome some good news!

BR

John

Welcome to the forum littlelegs.

+1 on what ksdaddy said. I have both the Hummingbird and a Martin HD-28V.

They are both very well built, great sounding and playing instruments. I purchased the Martin first. Again like Scott said, it just kinda jumped of the rack at me and we just clicked from day one. It was like it was meant to be. I later purchased the Hummingbird. At the time I was looking strictly for a Dove, but the bird just sort of grabbed me. The bird gets far more playtime then the Martin. Like I said they are both great, but to me the bird is a lot more fun to play. Not sure why that is. It just is.

Welcome to the forum again. All the best.

Good morning Littlelegs and welcome aboard.

Here's my two pen'th.

I have a SWD which I bought in Jan 08. At the time of choosing I A/Bd it with a Hummingbird but had my teacher play both, as well as me. The SWD spoke loudly and clearly to me and my teacher agreed I had made the correct choice.

However, that's not to say the 'Bird wasn't lovely, it was but the one I played was a little too understated for me and not as articulate as the SWD. I'm convinced that another example of a 'Bird would have been different.

So,

1 You must play before you buy

2 As KSD says, if it speaks to you then go for it.

3 It's a personal thing.

JT and I have been known to roam the streets of London in search of the Holy Grail, or in fact anything with a Gibson headstock and a whole in the top.....in fact something not made in China would be good. As he says except for Peter Cooks ( who are very good) there's bugger all in Central London, so good luck trying. Can't speak for the remiander of the country.

It's been suggested that if you, or anyone else for that matter, find you have to visit Denmark St (waste of time for Gibsons at the moment) then give us a shout and we can meet for beer and chat etc. JT and I both visit London fairly regularly.

This is a fabulous forum with an unbelievable wealth of knowledge and most of these Colonials seem to quite like us. QUICK......TAKE COVER!

JT and I have been known to roam the streets of London in search of the Holy Grail' date=' or in fact anything with a Gibson headstock and a whole in the top.....in fact something not made in China would be good. As he says except for Peter Cooks ( who are very good) there's bugger all in Central London, so good luck trying. Can't speak for the remiander of the country.

It's been suggested that if you, or anyone else for that matter, find you have to visit Denmark St (waste of time for Gibsons at the moment) then give us a shout and we can meet for beer and chat etc. JT and I both visit London fairly regularly.

This is a fabulous forum with an unbelievable wealth of knowledge and most of these Colonials seem to quite like us. QUICK......TAKE COVER![/quote']

OMG now he's done it he's mentioned Colonials!

Strewth!

Seriously LL AJ's on the money this is a very friendly, knowledgeable and forgiving forum ( unless you mention the "c word" above that is!

You will find accurate objective advice on all matters from woods to bridge pins but I bet you a pound to a pinch of s**t that they'll all echo KSD on guitar choice.

Good morning Littlelegs

Welcome to the forum' date=' now we can set up a Kent Branch!

How the hell have you found a choice of guitars in Tunbridge Wells?

There's only that shop on the hill isn't there?

We have been discussing in another thread the lack of guitar shops to look forat acoustics, if you are going to tell me there's a shop selling HBs 30 miles away then I will be very happy.

Any way returning to the point I agree entirely with KSD and many to come who will tell you that it's a personal thing.

How can it not be when it's your ears which hear it, your fingers which feel it and your dosh which pays for it?

The HB is a great guitar and has a huge number of devoted followers on this forum.

When America wakes up they'll tell you!

What HB is it? How old etc etc?

To me my J45 covers most things I want to do, the SWD12 is beautiful too.

Don't forget to tell us where you're buying it, AlbertJohn, Jinder and I are all based South/SouthEast and we'd welcome some good news!

BR

John[/quote']

Hi John,

Your absoultely right about lack of decent shops to try out stuff and in Tun Wells its no better.

However my job occaisionally takes me round the South east and Andertons in Guilford is superb. They are now a Gibson dealer and better still they have small rooms with closed doors where you can demo to your hearts content without feeling you have to perform for the crowd. The HB was there along with various others. So if you find yourself that way pop in, there very friendly and helpful. GAK in Brighton are also worth a visit.

The HB was new and felt it but it just felt right. I suppose my other worry is how much they vary, I have found a better price on line (not ebay) and any saving is worth while but I feel I should play it before making the decision.

Here's my two pen'th.

I have a SWD which I bought in Jan 08. At the time of choosing I A/Bd it with a Hummingbird but had my teacher play both' date=' as well as me. The SWD spoke loudly and clearly to me and my teacher agreed I had made the correct choice.

However, that's not to say the 'Bird wasn't lovely, it was but the one I played was a little too understated for me and not as articulate as the SWD. I'm convinced that another example of a 'Bird would have been different.

So,

1 You must play before you buy

2 As KSD says, if it speaks to you then go for it.

3 It's a personal thing.

JT and I have been known to roam the streets of London in search of the Holy Grail, or in fact anything with a Gibson headstock and a whole in the top.....in fact something not made in China would be good. As he says except for Peter Cooks ( who are very good) there's bugger all in Central London, so good luck trying. Can't speak for the remiander of the country.

This is a fabulous forum with an unbelievable wealth of knowledge and most of these Colonials seem to quite like us. QUICK......TAKE COVER![/quote']

Hi AJ,

Your right about Denmark st I was there yesterday and each time I visit I find it more depressing. Total lack of choice and some of the assistants lack the knowledge, Hanks is ok and friendly but I still find it intimidating when they stand over you in case you damage their stock. If they only new how I look after my gear...especially with the money I've invested.

Thanks for the tip I won't mention the C word

Welcome to the forum. When it comes to guitars I've always found it best to follow your ears. I've played some real fancy looking guitars that sound like wet cement in an exhaust pipe and some plain Janes that will knock your sock off. I actualy didn't think to much of my J-45 12 fret the first two times I played her and then the third time she just came to life right in my hands. Now, she is the best little blues guitar I have. I hate to think what would have happened if I had not gone back that day and picked her up. The Hummingbird has great looks and a great sound so I don't think you'll be disapointed if you get one. I came very close to getting a hummingbird this year but the J-45 True Vintage won me over.

Hi John' date='

However my job occaisionally takes me round the South east and Andertons in Guilford is superb. They are now a Gibson dealer and better still they have small rooms with closed doors where you can demo to your hearts content without feeling you have to perform for the crowd. ..........

> I have found a better price on line (not ebay) and any saving is worth while but I feel I should play it before making the decision.[/quote']

Do you know that your extremities Little Feat (sorry) are playing at trowbridge festival tonight?

Sorry digress

Thanks for the tip about Andertons I have heard aboiut them but have been put off cos Guildford is such a A88Hole place to get into. I will make the effort next time I am over there which I think may be Tuesday!

AJ and I will feel very at home there if they have small rooms with closed doors LOL.

IF you ver need a teccyluthier/amp man AJ and I know a brilliant bloke, Gibson trainied dogs b*llox! Please remember that if you're buying on line. I bought my SWD on Ebay and "mentally costed in" the price of a setup which I did need!

One of the many perils of not playing what you're buying.

Perhaps we should try to make the next UK sortie in Guildford, if AJ can get over that far, he's in Essex!

BR

JOhn

AJ and I will feel very at home there if they have small rooms with closed doors LOL.

IF you ver need a teccyluthier/amp man AJ and I know a brilliant bloke' date=' Gibson trainied dogs b*llox! Please remember that if you're buying on line. I bought my SWD on Ebay and "mentally costed in" the price of a setup which I did need!

One of the many perils of not playing what you're buying.

Perhaps we should try to make the next UK sortie in Guildford, if AJ can get over that far, he's in Essex!

BR

JOhn[/quote']

Ooooh you're such a tease!

Guildford, that's deep south for me. I'll have to fix up a work meeting there soon and come and have a look. I've used them on line for something in the past and they seemed pretty good.

Expecting a barrage of abuse shortly as our friends from afare will be getting to work soon, so might have to sign off this afternoon.

Expecting a barrage of abuse shortly as our friends from afare will be getting to work soon' date=' so might have to sign off this afternoon.[/quote']

Oooooooooooooooh Yes!

You is going to get it bad!

Cunk will slaughter you, and TWilson will take much delight in collecting, re-assembling the pieces and blowing you up.

I disassociate myself from YOUR remark!

BTW i hear that the moderator comes from the US so what will be your new login so we know it's you?

LOL

Have a good one, sciving now off to walk dogs along beach

Happy Days

John

Oooooooooooooooh Yes!

You is going to get it bad!

Cunk will slaughter you' date=' and TWilson will take much delight in collecting, re-assembling the pieces and blowing you up.

I disassociate myself from YOUR remark!

BTW i hear that the moderator comes from the US so what will be your new login so we know it's you?

LOL

Have a good one, sciving now off to walk dogs along beach

Happy Days

John[/quote']

Uh oh!

What beach? You on hols?

Uh oh!

What beach? You on hols?

No duuuh!

Beach in Folkestone 20miles south.

They need a Beach to hold the sea in.

If they didn't have the sea then they wouldn't have needed the Chunnel to go under it!

Have a great w/e will be spending mine trying to comfort a wife who has been stung by a mossie and now has an eye like she's been three rounds with Mike Tyson!

No duuuh!

Beach in Folkestone 20miles south.

They need a Beach to hold the sea in.

If they didn't have the sea then they wouldn't have needed the Chunnel to go under it!

Have a great w/e will be spending mine trying to comfort a wife who has been stung by a mossie and now has an eye like she's been three rounds with Mike Tyson!

Gotcha.

The new name will be;

"thatreallyhurtsandwillruinthebaseballbat08" Newbie, Joined 25/7/08, Somewhere in Eastern Europe or Brazil.

Gotcha.

The new name will be;

"thatreallyhurtsandwillruinthebaseballbat08" Newbie' date=' Joined 25/7/08, Somewhere in Eastern Europe or Brazil.[/quote']

Naw

Just one last post before loading dogs.

I have some suggestions for your new login

Wrist flapper

Bailboy

Caught in the covers

Long leg

Dropped in the slips

Googly

Chinaman

Fast delivery

Over pitched

Long on

Square Leg

Tonup

Get the drift?

See you!

My favorite quote, "The Hummingbird, quite possibly the most perfectest guit tar whatever a guit tar picker ever picked." ---- me.

Forget about the palefaced martins.... Go for the 'Bird.

Martins are only good for c****ing on your car. biggrin.gif/

Birds are great guitars especially the older ones in my book. I tend to be most partial to the Gibson Advanced Jumbo. If you want a guitar that will compete with the D-28 or HD-28 Martins, the AJ can blow them away in my book...... H-Birds are really sweet too though.

My two-penn'th is worth diddlysquat, but there has to be a base model the Hummingbird came from - or a down market version of it WITHOUT that picture on the 'guard. That would be my choice of dreadnought. I DO know the HB is a cracking guitar to play AND to hear. An absolute honey when you find the right one - really a stonking acoustic.

But like a thousand other pickers will have already said to you:

Try, THEN buy.

Unlike mass-produced stuff, they are all different.....

My two-penn'th is worth diddlysquat' date=' but there has to be a [b']base model[/b] the Hummingbird came from - or a down market version of it WITHOUT that picture on the 'guard. That would be my choice of dreadnought. I DO know the HB is a cracking guitar to play AND to hear. An absolute honey when you find the right one - really a stonking acoustic.

But like a thousand other pickers will have already said to you:

Try, THEN buy.

Unlike mass-produced stuff, they are all different.....

Don't know if'n I'd call it a 'Down Market' version, but there is a Hummigbird Artist. Smaller, yet Hummingbird like sans the grafics. Some, if not all are unbursted. There's a signature model, but the artist's name escapes me.

I've got a J30 that looks like the illegitimate offspring of the unholy union of a D-18 and an H'Bird. It's basically a square shoulder plain jane Gibson, Hummingbird/Crow on the inside, Martinesque countenance. Can't recall whether it's a 24.75 or 25.5 scale tho..... it's in it's California Girl case where it's spent all but a few hours since '91.

No problem JT' date=' you guys seem to have constant dialogue in most of these acoustic threads, still need the advice though[/quote']

did you try a j45 rosewood? very different from the regular mahogany...much richer, deeper (in my opinion). A total joy to play, though plugged in it's quite bassy and need some generous eq (again, in my opinion).

also it smells better than any guitar i've ever smelt. O:)

Archived