Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions Please: Is it Possible/Feasible to Mod a G400?

gvdv

Hi,

I have a bit of GAS, and was thinking of adding an SG to my guitar ‘collection’.

Essentially, I want to get as close to the 1964 SG Standard that George Harrison bought in 1966, and that he used on Beatles’ sessions on-and-off until 1969.

For more information and a photo, see this link

George Harrison's SG '61

The problem is that I just can’t afford the SG that would be closest to George’s (either a ’61 reissue, or Standard Reissue with Maestro Vos – both guitars are similar in some ways to his, and are different in other ways).

So, I would be interested in hearing the opinions of everyone here about the following questions:

1. Would it be physically possible to mod an Epiphone SG 400?

2. Would it be financially worth it to do so (i.e., would modifying a G400 create a guitar which would approximate the sound and feel of George’s guitar?)

Regarding the first question above, I know nothing about the physical size/settings of the spacing for the tuners and pickups on the original 1964 custom in relation to the G400 (for example, I wonder if would it be possible to simply replace the G400’s Alnico V humbuckers with either the The ’57 Classic and ’57 Classic Plus, which are found on the ’61 Reissue, or the Burstbucker 1 and Burstbucker 2 pick-ups that are featured in the Standard Reissue with Maestro Vos).

Any opinions will be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

1. Yes to most possible applications of the term 'mod.'

2. Financially it's up to you to decide. Putting in the right pickups will make up 95% of the tone of the original. As for feel, I'd make sure it felt right to you personally, as there's no sense willfully buying a guitar you don't like to play because it feels wrong. Otherwise, it's quite easy to mod an Epi to look just how you want it to.

Hi Sjael,

Many thanks for the reply.

I'm not really that concerned about the look (I'd say that that's about 5% important to me); it's the sound I'm going for, and I was mainly wondering about how possible it would be to get that sound and how to go about it.

Thanks, once again,

I'm not really that concerned about the look; it's the sound I'm going for' date=' [/quote']

If it is the sound you are going for, then just pick up a G-400 and do no modding to her. I have a G-400 and you can tweak any amp to make it sound like the lead in "Hey Bulldog."

By the way, that SG was not used very much by The Beatles at all. Maybe two or three tracks and that is it. Said to be the lead in "Hey Bulldog," some background guitar on "Paperback Writer," and on "Lady Madonna." Seriously, that's it.

gvdv - got your email

It can be done me thinx.

I got my epi G400 with the Maestro for about $600 Australiain.

The inlay on the headstock looks the same.

The colour well there does seem to be a cherry available.

There may be some adjustment necessary to hole sizes if you fit Schaller tuners or better pots.

I got the Gibson 57 classics from the USA on Evilbay for less than half the price out here in Oz. I just use two Classics, I didnt get a classic plus.

You would be able to get the sound you are looking for, depending on your amp and pedal configuration.

Any further give us another yell

pb130118.jpg

Hi Beatlenut and Darren,

Thanks very much for your replies.

Beatlenut; good to know that you feel the stock pickups that come with the G400 will do the job without being replaced (I haven't yet played the G400, so have just assumed that they would need to be swapped out). And yes, I know that the Fabs 'only' used the SG on a few tracks (apparently some of 'Revolver', too), but that nevertheless 'qualifies' it as a Beatles guitar.

Darren, thanks for your suggestions, and for posting the photo of your G400.

Can you say what your reasons were for making the upgrade to your G400 and why you went with two 57 Classics, instead of a Classic and a Classic Plus?

I suppose that part of my motivation for thinking that I will upgrade the pickups when I get a G400 is that my understanding from what I have read is that the 57 Classics are closer to the sound of the '61 SG than the stock, Alnico V humbuckers are. Is this not the case?

Also I notice that the G400 photo here on the Epiphone website shows the guitar without a maestro whammy bar assembly, and I'm presuming that one would have to add the maestro as an 'extra'/special order, or pick one up with a maestro already added, as Darren appears to have done. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks, once again,

gvdv

Gvdv

I changed out the standard pu's because I found them a bit muddy. I didnt feel that the hotter 57 classic plus was necessary.

I got mine with the Maestro already fitted, they seem to pop up like this in Oz from time to time, i dunno if they call it some sort of special or whatever, but I just wandered into Gallins Guitars one day and it was there, they were having a sale and it left with me.

-You could go with just about any vintage PAF type p'up. Even the DiMarzio Virtual PAFs in my Epi Lester will get you into that tone area. DiMarzio Air Classics or PAF Anniversary's. Duncan '59s, Seth Lover's, Alnico II Pro's or Pearly Gate's. And of course some of the offerings from Gibson. Remember, p'ups are just a small part of the tone chain.

L8R,

Matt

Archived