Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 vs. Faded/Vintage G-400 vs. 1966 G-400

Epidemic

Howdy. I'm just learning in the guitar world, but I've learned a lot quick and have been told I'm a good student. I'm in a dangerous place, can mess around just enough to actually plug in to an amp at the local store but have long ways to go. Anyway, I discovered a love affair with the feel and look of the SG/G-400 body style and sound. However my virgin ears are not tuned enough to tell a lot of subtle differences that many more experienced players can.

So to my question - are the differences between the above models purely aesthetic? Is it just a looks thing? I don't mind the differences in price (although I actually prefer the less expensive "faded" finish), but I don't want to pay more just for gloss that ends up as a fingerprint magnet.

Thanks for any clarification and look forward to furthering my affair with these great instruments.

No, no. They are not all the same.

When I went shopping for my Epi G-400, I faced the same thing you faced. After reading up on them I learned that the '66 had better tuners and better pickups. However, when I played the '66 against the standard G-400 the differences were not very noticeable to me. That fact made my decision easier -- I simply went for aesthetic appeal. The '66 with the full pickguard was what I wanted. Aside from that cosmetic selling point, the better tuners tipped the scales towards the '66. (But I also have a '66 Mustang so really the '66 Epi was a no brainer.)

Whichever you choose it is a cool guitar. Easy and fun to play.

SGoutsidecl.jpg

No' date=' no. They are not all the same.

When I went shopping for my Epi G-400, I faced the same thing you faced. I learned the '66 had better tuners and better pickups. However, when I played the '66 against the standard G-400 the differences were not very noticeable to me. That fact made my decision easier -- I simply went for aesthetic appeal. The '66 with the full pickguard was what I wanted. And the better tuners was a selling point for me. (I also have a '66 Mustang so really the '66 Epi was a no brainer.)

Whichever you choose it is a cool guitar. Easy and fun to play.

[img']http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv224/taxmanharrison/SGoutsidecl.jpg[/img]

No, sorry, you are wrong.

I have a '06 G400. It has Grovers. They are great tuners. The same ones that are on the '66.

The pickups are also identical. I don't know who gave you that erroneous information.

Yeah, I know for sure the tuners are all the same. I just inspected all 3 yesterday. I was however not aware of any electronics differences. It appears that's correct though. The 1966 and the Faded have Alnico Classics, and the G-400 has Alnico V's.

I'm not sure if one is better, might just be a personal preference.

I came back to my hometown to aid my parents who've been going through some medical ordeals, and stumbled upon an '04

Korean made G-400 in a pawnshop. Maybe it's payback for the good deeds, but only minor scratches and out the door with a

hard case for $125.

I've been using it primarily in open tunings for slide work, and it's a real kick.

Theo

No' date=' sorry, you are wrong.

I have a '06 G400. It has Grovers. They are great tuners. The same ones that are on the '66.

The pickups are also identical. I don't know who gave you that erroneous information.[/quote']

I have a G-400 and the post above is entirely correct. I just put new strings on so had to retune and those were definitely Grovers in my fingers!

I came back to my hometown to aid my parents who've been going through some medical ordeals' date=' and stumbled upon an '04

Korean made G-400 in a pawnshop. Maybe it's payback for the good deeds, but only minor scratches and out the door with a

hard case for $125.

I've been using it primarily in open tunings for slide work, and it's a real kick.

Theo[/quote']

Score - Congrats!!

I just ran across a MIM Fender Tele Vintage burst I think it's called with 3 new sets of strings and a new bag for $250. Thing looks new. This particular shop doesn't really do instruments so if it's still there on payday, I'm picking that up. If I can wait that long. Between that and my new G-400, I should be able to figure a few things out. This is addicting and I've only been learning for a few months on a used Squier Affinity (junk).

I wasn't sure about the G-400, but from comments on this forum it seemed a pretty safe bet. Saw it and checked this site for the manufacture date

and location before returning the next day. New strings and spraying the pots solved a few issues.

I have a Slash LP Epi that I swapped Allparts tuners for the original ones, and saw a difference in holding tune. The Grovers on this G-400 seem

fine, so I won't worry about changing them.

Is is addicting. I found working with this to be a welcome diversion. Just have fun.

Theo

I was however not aware of any electronics differences. It appears that's correct though. The 1966 and the Faded have Alnico Classics' date=' and the G-400 has Alnico V's.[/quote']

Those pickups are the same. The Classics have Alnico-V magnets.

The only difference is the look. Some say that the "limited edition guitars" (such as the 1966 G400) have better necks, but I don't think that's likely, as Epiphone does not have an actual custom shop.

The only difference is the look. Some say that the "limited edition guitars" (such as the 1966 G400) have better necks' date=' but I don't think that's likely, as Epiphone does not have an actual custom shop.[/quote']

Thanks for the info. I didn't notice any difference, just went by the name on the website.

I appreciate all who commented. I should have my Vintage/Faded G-400 by Friday.

Thanks for the info. I didn't notice any difference' date=' just went by the name on the website.

I appreciate all who commented. I should have my Vintage/Faded G-400 by Friday.[/quote']

Yes, sometimes the specs on the Epiphone homepage are a bit confusing. Another example is the standard G310, the Emily the Strange G310 and the SG special. They all have 700T/650R ceramic pickups. These pickups are mentioned in the "EtS-G310" specs, but in the standard and special they are referred to as "open coil humbuckers".

Anyway, congratulations on your guitar. Don't forget to post pictures when it arrives. [biggrin]

Epiphone does not have an actual custom shop.

This is confusing.

So the Anico V of the G-400 and the Alnico Classics on the '66 are the same? No wonder I found no noticeable difference when playing both models. I never checked the tuners on the other models, interesting to know they are also a fine set of Grovers.

The Epi homepage lists a "slim-taper neck" as a feature of the '66. I don't know if the other models feature this, too, but my '66 has one of the greatest necks I've ever played. It is paper thin, yet wide for superb fingering. I love that neck.

My '66 has stamped on the back of the headstock:

Epiphone Custom Shop

More false advertising?

When you get a chance have a look at the SG prophecies the necks are a lot thinner and quicker IMHO. I do like my G400 as well' date=' but the neck is chunkier.

[img']http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8774/pb130118.jpg[/img]

pb130117.jpg

I really like the look of the Black Prophecy and moreso the Silver Sunburst '66 version,

but being this is my first real venture into guitar, I couldn't justify it. Maybe a year from

now, when I've got some playing time under my belt I'll contemplate spending some more

money if the G-400 isn't giving me everything I want.

That said, I doubt I'd get another one that's nearly the same (although there are obvious

differences). I would love a Black American Special Strat HSS or a PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow

in Natural. Those to me are two of the sexiest guitars ever. One can dream.

Anyway - is there anything in the G-400 I might see myself want to replace right away besides

strings? I imagine everything should be just fine to learn on.

my son was in love with a faded cherry g400 at our local "Rock Shop"until it got sold. We then saw a metallic light blue (description only) on a Gibson/Epiphone product list on a website. We took a gamble and ordered it sight unseen except for a photo I found on E/bay. It arrived and he thinks it is perfect, it has custom shop on the headstock but I dont think that means much. He is learning also but is getting good very quickly, he can damm near nail the slide parts of led Zeps "in my time of dying" on his SX Strat. He is looking at a Gibson LPJ now but he will have to sell something i think. The lighter colours in gloss dont show the fingerprints too badly but the epi 400 is great,

good luck with your purchase

Archived