Gibson Brands Forums

Got My First Guitar Today..

Hawnted

Just because 3 or 4 people that have replied to this thread have a Fender Frontman amp doesn't mean it's the amp for you, for the time being get any old amp, it doesn't matter if it costs $20 because your ears won't know the difference. Once your ears know guitar/amp tone back to front go into a shop and plug your guitar into AT LEAST 5 amps in your price range.

Another reason why I think you should wait till you shell out cash for a decent amp is your preference in tone might change once you start learning new things on guitar, at the moment you might want overdrive, 2 months from now you might want clean.. at the moment you might be content with a solid state amp, further down the track you might want an all tube amp. If you're dead set on getting a decent amp now then I may as well list the amps I think are best tone for money (all of them are tube amps by the way) Vox AC4TV, Vox AC15/30, Orange Tiny Terror, Fender Blues Jr.

Here are some really good videos for said amps if you're interested: Tiny Terror (

) Vox AC30 (
) Fender Blues Jr (
) Vox AC4TV (
)

Out of all those amps, for you I'd definitely suggest the Vox AC4TV, for a few reasons

1: it's small, light and portable, and it looks dope!

2: it's all tube and has a Celestion speaker (very nice sounding speaker from a reputable brand)

3: it's the cheapest of the amps I suggested

4: it has simple controls, no messing around with EQ knobs

5: it sounds great with pedals, although I don't see the need for using pedals with this amp as it's VERY dynamic and has a great tone bone stock

6: it has a built in attenuator meaning you can play the amp at it's full 4 watts (very loud mind you) or you can play it at 1 watt and 1/4 watt without sacrificing any tone, this means you can crank the amp at low volumes and really milk the power tubes to get a nice power amp overdrive!

Anyway, hope I've been a help, this post isn't suggesting you to run to the store and buy one of the above amplifiers, as you might end up digging an amp that none of us would ever think to suggest! Listen with your ears, not your eyes.

EDIT: Just read that you picked up a Valvetronix for $50, nice! That will be more than sufficient to get you started! Word of advice don't spend all your time obsessing over upgrading pickups and amps etc, there's plenty of time for that later.. for now just play your guitar! It's a smoking hot one too! Good luck mate

that's a beauty, I looked at one of these at out local store but they sold it. the gold hardware and binding look fantastic.

congratulations, the vox ac4 is a great little amp and plenty loud enough for practise/home use.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Well I am taking informal lessons/direction from a co-worker of mine. She has been playing for 30 years and is helping me get started. She actually sold me a VOX Valvetronix VT30 for $50. She has 5 amps and did not need it. Just bought it to try out the modeling. So' date=' that should get me going anyway.

Is justinguitar.com a good source for learning? I have been making my way through his beginner course and I am enjoying it so far.[/quote']

Third the opinion on the VT30. As soon as I scape together the money for my Dot, I'm getting a VT30 to go with it. Tried it out about a week ago and LOVED it!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Well I am taking informal lessons/direction from a co-worker of mine. She has been playing for 30 years and is helping me get started. She actually sold me a VOX Valvetronix VT30 for $50. She has 5 amps and did not need it. Just bought it to try out the modeling. So' date=' that should get me going anyway.

Is justinguitar.com a good source for learning? I have been making my way through his beginner course and I am enjoying it so far.[/quote']

You've got a great guitar there and the perfect amp to learn on for a great price. Well done mate, you've hit the ground running.

• 5 months later...

You've got a very nice guitar, a more than decent amp.

For what it's worth, neither would be my personal choice, but as has been mentioned, if you keep going, you'll have more of both over the next few years. On the other hand, what you now have is so nice that I would strongly, very strongly, recommend that if you can't afford either another amp or another guitar, you don't swap what you have. Your guitar and amp are far better than what many of us started with and they're keepers. I'd dearly love to have some of the stuff back that I swapped around back in the 60s and 70s.

Strings and setup are vital. But as you play, you'll start to mess with different strings you'll hear about on your journey. You have another advantage with that lady friend who's willing to help a bit.

Finally... the real cost of being a real guitar player is the hours upon hours of playing, practicing or whatever you wish to call it. Learn the basics of cycle of fifths, etc., that will serve you well in terms of playing with others regardless of style.

m

Archived