Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tpurgatoryt

Jack input on my guitar is loose and wont stay tightened

So where i insert the jack in my sg is rather loose, and is constantly loose.

I tighten it, but after a while it just comes loose again!

how can i resolve this problem?

I've seen people recommend nail varnish, PTFE tape (plumbers' teflon tape) and superglue for this problem, none of which I think are very good. You need to be very careful in tightening it as if it twists as you do it up you can break the wires. I had a dodgy one I just replaced on my last guitar; but I'm sure there's probably a solution involving spring or star washers or something like that.

but with epiphones if you tighten it' date=' the insides dont turn with it, well so i saw on an epiphone showcase thing.[/quote']

yeah, they turn with it.......lots of ppl have wrung the wiring loose trying to tighten it.

your best bet is to either have a tech install an aftermarket input (such as "Switchcraft") with a star washer inside the body or you can install it yourself easily if you're comfy with taking the access plate off, and decent at soldering.

best of luck to you !!

Take off the rear cover plate' date=' prevent the switch body

from rotating and tighten the nut with the proper tool.[/quote']

+10!!!

Or, try this... Good for installing pickups, tuners, nuts...

homemade_mjolnir.jpg

Actually the idea of using clear nail polish isn't bad also.

The machines I work on we use nail polish all the time on small nuts and bolts. I put it on after tightening a nut, it helps hold it but not nearly as hard to remove as locktite is.......

Tha hardware and auto part stores sell this stuff called LOCKTITE and THREADLOCK, theyr'e what your looking for. You put a drop on the threads before tightening, and it sticks to the metal way better than superglue and nailpolish

Take off the rear cover plate' date=' prevent the switch body from rotating and tighten the nut with the proper tool.[/quote']

This worked for me in the past.

Is the guitar still under warranty? If so, take it in and they can fix it for you (takes no time at all). If not, you can pay to have it done properly and, since it is a 30 second job, it shouldn't cost you more than $10.

I have a tool, a ratchet of the same size as the nut, attached to a skrewdriver handle. I keep it around, as I have several guitars AND amps where the 1/4" jack gets loose!

I solved some of it by totally replacing the jack, and/or using washer with teeth on the inside, plus a little "lock-tight"

but with epiphones if you tighten it' date=' the insides dont turn with it, well so i saw on an epiphone showcase thing.[/quote']

Only on models made 2008 or newer. They have an oval shaped jack and hole, rather than circular. My guitar for example from 2006 is new enough to have the 1inch diameter pots and open mechanical (as opposed to cheap plastic in a box) selector switch, but still has a circular jack that will turn if loose.

Actually the idea of using clear nail polish isn't bad also.

The machines I work on we use nail polish all the time on small nuts and bolts. I put it on after tightening a nut' date=' it helps hold it but not nearly as hard to remove as locktite is.......[/quote']

The thing with nail varnish is it apparently works for one tightening but disintegrates if you loosen it so you'd have to reapply it every time you have to tighten it.. Hopefully that wouldn't matter if it works well anyway.

The thing with nail varnish is it apparently works for one tightening but disintegrates if you loosen it so you'd have to reapply it every time you have to tighten it.. Hopefully that wouldn't matter if it works well anyway.

That's the idea behind using the nail polish, if you use locktite (or superglue) you might be sorry if you have to take it apart.

Locktite has it's place, my guitar isn't one of them. Never used the nail polish on a guitars jack but like I said I use it on other things all the time. It holds good and is no problem to take apart if you want to.

It's not the perfect solution but it could help.