Gibson Brands Forums

Need help ID-ing an Epiphone G-400(?) SG

XweAponX

Hey u guys chill on the shill,

It's My thread, and he just pointed me to another source of info, thats all, I'm grateful for it, and if I'M not complainin about him postin a link to http://mylespaul.com/forums/ - So youse guys oughtta take a break from continuing to pound the guy for it, cos all he did was post a link to http://mylespaul.com/forums/

I did not TAKE his posting the link to http://mylespaul.com/forums/ as any kind of shillage, I took it as the guy was trying to point me to another source of info which happened to be at http://mylespaul.com/forums/.

If I didn't give a poop that he posted a link to http://mylespaul.com/forums/ -then you guys ought to care if he posted a link to http://mylespaul.com/forums/

It's MY topic, and I don't care if he posts a link to http://mylespaul.com/forums/ or even to http://socialspit.com or even http://iacmusic.com/socialspit or

OR
or even.. Well, ya see my point?

Ya dig?

Oh Nyah, leave the guy who mention the G-310 alone too, why dontcha! Honestly, if ya wanna do flame wars go to http://artistareabulletinboard.yuku.com/forums/1

I didnt read ALL of the board rules, so if therer is a policy about po0stingn a BUNCH of links, I just broke it... And I apologize, just trying to make a point, usually I don't post links unless they got something to do with the topic at-hand.

Jerrymac:

The early Samick made Epiphones in the '80s did not engrave the serial #s, they used little white stickers. Most have been removed by now. They started engraving the serial #s in the early '90s, and around 1993 initiated the numbering system beginning with a letter to indicate the factory. Prior to that, there really wasn't a need since Samick made nearly all the Korean Epiphones.

Yah. YAH. See, I've got over 35 years Guitar Center experiences. I was a kid when I first went in, with my dad, and I was Looking at one of those 60's Epiphones, I forget the model name, they have a fender-type headstock, but an SG-type body - I almost got that one, but instead, I got an italian made Vox Bulldog. I took that apart, I wish I would not have done that, cos it was a nice guitar - Mozrite shaped body, 3 Single coil Pickups. Heavy Laquer.

I got my first Les Paul, for 500 bucks, from there, in 1977, it was only one year old, I used to have the Warranty card for it! I played that thing until it fell apart! Amazing, how something that was worth 500 bucks is now worth over 3,000- but I sold the Body of that Les Paul for 100 bucks cos I did not have the hardware anymore, someone stole it... So I couldnt do anything with it.

But a guitar dont hafta be a vintage guitar to be a good guitar, after I lost the Les Paul, I bought a Hamer Diablo USA, I used that for 12 years, it was a good guitar but high maintainance- I traded it eventually, along with my 2001 Les Paul Jr, for my 1994 Flying V.

And then, 3 months after I got the V... Some TURD... Our old bass Player, STEPPED on my Neck Pickup, destroyed it! Broke the plastic, I had to get a black pickup holder to mount it to the remaining plastic V picguard.

That was a huge tangent... Anyway, I remember, being in Guitar Center on El Cajon Blvd, around 1988, I remember that it was THAT year cos my mom was dying, And I remember SEEING these Korean Les Pauls and SGs... Les Pauls, 600 bucks, SGs 300. I MAY have been lookng at the exact SG I got now. But when I looked at the back, I thought it was a cheesy thing to do, to have the serial number on a piece of paper! It'll come off!

But what was TOLD, and I dont know about the truth of this, is that these Korean SGs and Pauls, were actuyally BODIES made in the US, but the rest of it done in Korea. This is what the guy ar Guitar Cenetr told me, but well youo know Guitar Center, sometimes they emply people who just make up any story to make a sale.

PS Paru-guy or what your name is, I was just pointing out, that a SHILL usually posts all kinds of self-indulgent links (like I just did, Haha!) - So since kojak or whatever his name is, didn't inundate me with his personal links, I didn't take his suggestions to go to the other place as any kind of shill activity. I DID find a couple of clues about my guitar in there, there is a great thread about all kinds of Fakes! I never realised how many fakes are around. But, that forum is kind of graphics heavy and my poor little laptop choked it. If THAT makes anyone happy, eh? hehe

I was Looking at one of those 60's Epiphones' date=' I forget the model name, they have a fender-type headstock, but an SG-type body [/quote']

Olympic, Coronet, Wilshire or Crestwood. Olympic was the student model like the Gibson Melody Maker, one or two Strat style pickups (without slugs). Coronet had a dog-ear P-90 in the bridge position. Wilshire had 2 mini humbuckers and the Crestwood was the Custom model. You should have bought one of those, those '60s solid bodies go for a lot of money.

epiphone66p4m-wilshireandothers.jpg

That was a huge tangent... Anyway' date=' I remember, being in Guitar Center on El Cajon Blvd, around 1988, I remember that it was THAT year cos my mom was dying, And I remember SEEING these Korean Les Pauls and SGs... Les Pauls, 600 bucks, SGs 300. I MAY have been lookng at the exact SG I got now. But when I looked at the back, I thought it was a cheesy thing to do, to have the serial number on a piece of paper! It'll come off![/quote']

Yep, the Korean Sheratons and I think the Emperors started production in 1986, and around 1988 Epiphone expanded the line to include their versions of some Gibson models like the SG & Les Paul.

But what was TOLD' date=' and I dont know about the truth of this, is that these Korean SGs and Pauls, were actuyally BODIES made in the US, but the rest of it done in Korea. This is what the guy ar Guitar Cenetr told me, but well youo know Guitar Center, sometimes they emply people who just make up any story to make a sale.[/quote']

That was BS to put it kindly. Samick had a state of the art factory in Korea, and for a while, they made over 1/2 the guitars produced every year. They got so big, they couldn't keep up with their orders and went bankrupt in the mid 90s. They now operate a gigantic factory in Indonesia.

If you think about it, what sense would it make to do all the work making the body in the USA, ship it to Korea so they can ship it back here???

PS Paru-guy or what your name is' date=' I was just pointing out, that a SHILL usually posts all kinds of self-indulgent links (like I just did, Haha!) - So since kojak or whatever his name is, didn't inundate me with his personal links, I didn't take his suggestions to go to the other place as any kind of shill activity. I DID find a couple of clues about my guitar in there, there is a great thread about all kinds of Fakes! I never realised how many fakes are around. But, that forum is kind of graphics heavy and my poor little laptop choked it. If THAT makes anyone happy, eh? hehe[/quote']

I think I was the one who called him a shill. He's on this forum promoting another forum on a fairly regular basis. It's one thing to direct someone to another forum if there's a specific thread that is germane to the matter being discussed, in fact

Paru-guy (Peter) has himself directed people to the mylespaul forum. But when someone asks a question here, and time after time he responds by telling them they should ask over there because they're experts, well that's kind of demeaning to the very knowledgeable members of this forum.

I think I was the one who called him a shill. He's on this forum promoting another forum on a fairly regular basis. It's one thing to direct someone to another forum if there's a specific thread that is germane to the matter being discussed' date=' in fact

Paru-guy (Peter) has himself directed people to the mylespaul forum. But when someone asks a question here, and time after time he responds by telling them they should ask over there because they're experts, well that's kind of demeaning to the very knowledgeable members of this forum. [/quote']

+1

Regarding sources of info, I don't care WHAT forum it's on if

it provides the correct answer that was being looked for. If

it's useful, I'll drop it in the Lounge "DIY" sticky, and at that point

it becomes part of OUR forum, so to speak...

Gotta grab the info when it presents itself!

:) [biggrin] [biggrin]

Ah, jerry, well regardless of how many times he may have blasted that URL in this forum, this was my first thread, and I did not know that this guy goes around doing that. K-Reist, I have a guy over at the AABB forums, and my 13th floor forum, A+1 First rate TROLLbait, posts all kinds of posts about current events, with LINKS to "Articles" which are cleverly written apologetics for the CRUTCH of Science-Fiction-Ology! But even over there, we tolerate the guy cos hes mostly harmless, AND, he does know a lot about guitars, especially even Epiphones. ANYWAY, he didn't bother me, and actually I don't care if someone "always" tells me to look in another forum, as long as someone ELSE will come along like you did, and direct me to EXACTLY what I wanted to know. Ya know in 1998 through about 2002, you actually COULD type in what you are looking for into Google, or even Lycos or Yahoo, and an Answer would come up. But today? When I typed in various queries about my guitar, it directed me to about 5,000 sites that simply were MIRRORING my Exact Question. FUG a DUCK dangint! If I WANTED to search for Search engines I would DO it!

That pisses me off to the extreme, thank you! But some guy who has a need to tell me to look over at MyLesPaul.con all the time, well, I WILL look there, at first, but if I find out that my questions are NOT answered there to my satisfaction, then believe u me, *I* will join in and tell Kojack-Cujo to FOOOK OOOF. But as far as in this my first thread here, he didn't do me any harm and I found interesting info over there. So for now, he gets a "Get Outta Troll-Jail Free" card form me... At least this time, Heh.

Yah I LOVE the shape of those Crestwoods, the one I almost bought was a Coronet, very similar to that one up there. I remember I wanted one cos I thought I saw Steve Marriott from Humble Pie using one. And every pic of Marriott, he's always about 3 to 4 feet in the air! Typical pics of Humble Pie are shots of their feet hanging in mid air, I wish I could have seen them, but by the time they toured here, Framton was replaced with Clem Clemson. Not that he was bad, but I used to listen to Stone Cold Fever about 100 times a day, that, and all the rest of the Marriott pie songs.

To tell the truth, the Vox BULLDOG was VERY like a crestwood - Although the body was kiped from a Mozrite, the electronics there, are EXACTLY how the bulldog looked. That too was a fine guitar, I could tell when I was dis-assembling it, how well it was made. But I went too far and I was not able to put it back together... I WANTED to stick these humbuckings in it, and I actually even widened one of the pickups holes to get it in.

Anyway, so, my Korean, Samick, G-400 has any value? The reason why I even came here and asked about it, was because of the missing serial number, does that hamper the value any? Anyway I don't really care about monetary value, I care about playability - That is real value to me. The best guitars I've had have all been something just a little less expensive... By Guild D-25 compared to my Martin D-28, My G and L F100, My Kramer Stryker ST100, my Hamer Diablo USA.

That Hamer Diablo - Guitar center pissed me off... They offered about 500 on my brand new Les Paul Jr, which I paid 800 for... But my Hamer was a 1400 dollar Axe! They offered me 100 bucks on it... I flipped the headstock over, and the guys eyes popped out when he saw "Made in USA" stamped there. Gave me another 400. That was about the best deal I ever did for a Trade at GC, mostly cos the manager that was handling me was a friend, so he offered me a lot more than they normally do- Else, I would have tried to sell those axes privately.

But, from the moment I saw the V hanging on the wall, a Black V, I played it for about an hour and a half just to make sure.. I HAD to have it! They wanted 1200 bucks, with the 800 credit they gave me, I got away with spending 200 more.

But now, they have V's just like mine hanging up there... 1500, 1700, 2000 bucks! Old 60's Strats... 5000 bucks! 70's Les Pauls- 3000 bucks!

I think the new "Balloon" is Guitars... Cos most of the people who buy and sell them just for VALUE sake... They don't even play them, these things are just COMMODITIES to them! It will be a dark day in Hades when the price drops out of the bottom of Guitar Values... but maybe it SHOULD do that.

This is no prod at the PLAYER who buys and sells a lot of guitars. My beef is only with the people who just HOARD guitars and never play them at all.

• 4 months later...

I have that exact guitar, my serial is S94030001 and i looked it up and this is the info i found

Samick Plant, Korea

March 1994

Production Number: 0001

edit now that i realize the headstock on mine is rounded on the top corners and the tuners are grover, sorry

I have that exact guitar, my serial is S94030001 and i looked it up and this is the info i found

Samick Plant, Korea

March 1994

Production Number: 0001

edit now that i realize the headstock on mine is rounded on the top corners and the tuners are grover, sorry

I too have a 94 epi G400 from Samik in korea, I was confused about it's origins when i was originally looking to buy it, because it had similar cosmetics to a G310 (dot inlays and half size pick guard and uncovered Pick-ups), but also had a set neck. The guys here set me straight and explained that some of the earlier G400s were built this way. My one however has the typical Epi shaped headstock rather than the gibson style "open book headstock. The ones with the gibson style headstock probably is an early model, possibly from a different factory, perhaps even Japanese built.

nice axe though, how does it play.

here is a pic of my 94 samik

63799_1282953173542_1821480400_569360_4318720_n.jpg

44221_1282954613578_1821480400_569366_2196001_n.jpg

63073_1282956173617_1821480400_569380_6239315_n.jpg

I too have a 94 epi G400 from Samik in korea, I was confused about it's origins when i was originally looking to buy it, because it had similar cosmetics to a G310 (dot inlays and half size pick guard and uncovered Pick-ups), but also had a set neck. The guys here set me straight and explained that some of the earlier G400s were built this way. My one however has the typical Epi shaped headstock rather than the gibson style "open book headstock. The ones with the gibson style headstock probably is an early model, possibly from a different factory, perhaps even Japanese built.

nice axe though, how does it play.

here is a pic of my 94 samik

63799_1282953173542_1821480400_569360_4318720_n.jpg

44221_1282954613578_1821480400_569366_2196001_n.jpg

63073_1282956173617_1821480400_569380_6239315_n.jpg

Thats the exact one i have and it plays great

Archived