Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KDKowalski

My new Epi 335

Wow' date=' you own one of the new Sessions? I'm very interested in those - it would be great if you could post a picture and maybe expand on your thoughts about the guitar...

I'm currently looking to replace the Strat I sold when I was out of work earlier this year. I don't want to spend too much money and I'm looking for an HSS configuration.

So far, one of the better Yamaha Pacificas is definitely a possibility, but then I saw the Godin Sessions advertised and thought they would be well worth investigating too...[crying

635397.jpg

GOD-33911.jpg

Well since you asked here are some pictures and thoughts....I hope the Epi people don't mind.

The session is so good I am selling my VG Stratocaster. The sound and feel is unbelivable, nothing cheap here. I would put this up against any US Standard Stratocaster for 50% of the price. The neck features Godins ergocut, which is simulating the feeling you get on a fender ergocut neck, but not exactly the same process, but an incredibly comfortable neck.

The pick ups are amazing, no need to change a thing...the bucker is coil tapped using the tome pots push pull. The pictures speak for themselves... This is as nice as a PAC912V i used to own....maybe even better. Sperzels would be the only thing I would change on the guitar, however the existing schaller for godin tuners work just fine. I highly recommend buying one before too many people figure them out and supply becomes limited.

p7130315.jpg

p7130317.jpg

p7130318.jpg

p7130319.jpg

Well since you asked here are some pictures and thoughts....I hope the Epi people don't mind.

The session is so good I am selling my VG Stratocaster. The sound and feel is unbelivable' date=' nothing cheap here. I would put this up against any US Standard Stratocaster for 50% of the price. The neck features Godins ergocut, which is simulating the feeling you get on a fender ergocut neck, but not exactly the same process, but an incredibly comfortable neck.

The pick ups are amazing, no need to change a thing...the bucker is coil tapped using the tome pots push pull. The pictures speak for themselves... This is as nice as a PAC912V i used to own....maybe even better. Sperzels would be the only thing I would change on the guitar, however the existing schaller for godin tuners work just fine. I highly recommend buying one before too many people figure them out and supply becomes limited.

[/quote']

Thanks for the info. I've never found a Godin yet I didn't like (owned a Simon & Patrick acoustic for a long time and had a Radiator for a while, too). I'll be sure to check out a Session when I get a chance.

Mr Epiphone' date=' please make a G-400 that resembles the Gibby '61 reissue with a properly bound neck, and I promise I'll buy one.

Here's an illustration for guidance:

[img']http://www.12fret.com/new/Gibson_SG_61_reissue.jpg[/img]

I have one of the faded SG's with the binding.

Lines.jpg

I also missed out on a flamed maple top limited edition epiphone dot with binding and block inlays. I tried to contact the seller as soon as I saw it on craigslist but I was too late.

3m33p73l15O15Z35W2a7b606c644e3dd516.jpg

I really do wish I could have got that one! That will be "one of the one's that got away!"

Lines.jpg

Now there is an Epi SG I would love to own. I really should have bought them when they were released 4-5 years ago with the one piece neck and binding. Also before they were veneering the tops and backs. Very NICE!

I have had my eye on those godins lately. they look like great guitars and i love the design. How much did you end up paying for it? [confused]

$500.00 CDN including the 15% HST Tax in my province so $435.00. Included the gig bag...incredible value for the dollar. I am moving away from high end guitars and using the money for other things (like my sons braces). There is way too much good product for 1/4 the price of the high end versions. [confused]

Lines.jpg

Now there is an Epi SG I would love to own. I really should have bought them when they were released 4-5 years ago with the one piece neck and binding. Also before they were veneering the tops and backs. Very NICE!

Thanks! It really is a great guitar. The neck is awesome on it. I traded it once but I went back and bought it back a few days later. Its also my little girls favorite guitar I have so I guess I'll be keeping it to give to her when she starts to really get into playing.

Thanks! It really is a great guitar. The neck is awesome on it. I traded it once but I went back and bought it back a few days later. Its also my little girls favorite guitar I have so I guess I'll be keeping it to give to her when she starts to really get into playing.

I found one locally[biggrin] For $350.00 with a case in mint condition check this out.

p7200321.jpg

All these SGs look nice, but need to have black screws, it looks cluttered otherwise.. I don't know why Epiphone persist in not using them! With my dot I just dipped the screws in black ink and let them dry, looks much better I now! p1020458u.jpg

I found one locally[biggrin] For $350.00 with a case in mint condition check this out.

p7200321.jpg

Nice congrats! Looks like its in great shape. I wish mine came with a case. I have been putting off buying one for it but I'll probably just go ahead and get one soon. I have it in a hardshell casebut its not a custom fit case so I don't like it.

I am saving for a Cheap Epiphone Dot, Studio.

[biggrin]

But i'm just intrested in trying them out as i have seen some people with some sexy *** Semi's [cool]

Dave Grohl.

Anyone played a Dot Studio?

I am saving for a Cheap Epiphone Dot' date=' Studio.

[cool

But i'm just intrested in trying them out as i have seen some people with some sexy *** Semi's [wink]

Dave Grohl.

Anyone played a Dot Studio?

The Studios are...OK. Well, OK-ish, judging by the two I've played.

You'll pay around £200 or so for a Dot Studio.

But if you're in the market for a more affordable semi, before you buy a Dot Studio take a good look at a Vintage VSA535.

Vintage-VSA535-CR-E-Gitarre.jpg

vsa535cr.jpg

VSA535.jpg

A friend of mine in the UK has one. A hell of a lot more guitar than the Dot Studio, for £15 more.

You'll see on the Vintage website that the RRP is £339 http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagesemi.html but in reality dealers sell them (new) for around £215 http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=6696 Such is the difference between recommended price and street price, I guess.

I just picked one up too ( no pic yet). I went in to get some strings for a friends peddle steel and saw it hanging there.... I already had a reg cherry dot that I purchased not to long ago for $470 .....I was shocked by the price ($399 on sale ). So I went to the sales guy and said what's up! My wife was with me and really liked the look of the "ice tea" .Thats was yesterday.Slept on it

They price matched it for me ,now I'm one happy camper. Glad my friend needed strings....

Davej

I just picked one up too ( no pic yet). I went in to get some strings for a friends peddle steel and saw it hanging there.... I already had a reg cherry dot that I purchased not to long ago for $470 .....I was shocked by the price ($399 on sale ). So I went to the sales guy and said what's up! My wife was with me and really liked the look of the "ice tea" .Thats was yesterday.Slept on it

They price matched it for me ,now I'm one happy camper. Glad my friend needed strings....

Davej

Yep, for the month of October Long & McQuade has these on for the ridiculous price of $399.00, and you can buy it over 12 months interest free. It is an insane deal. I restrung my baby about 2 weeks ago and man does it sing. I get the normal fits of GAS, and have looked at Gibson ES339's ( again [rolleyes] ), but keep coming back to there is no way after playing the two that I can justify spending the extra cash. This 339 is that good.

Enjoy you purchase and anyone interested should grab this one this month...now if L & M would only get the cherry version of this guitar [biggrin]

KDKowalski, congrats on the 335 purchase. Very pretty.

Do you have any info you can share on the pickups? tuners? the neck (thin/fat?) From what I can tell, I think its a Epi Dot with chrome hardware, but with the block inlay, binding and ice tea finish.

I assume the woods are standard Epi Dot issue, ie maple laminate body, mahognany neck, rosewood fretboard etc.

I also assume your Epi is the 'full' 335 body size, and not the smaller 339 body size - correct?

Nice Dot. I wished they made all Dots with the cream neck binding and I love the ice tea burst. I have a Dot and I love mine, cherry. I played it last night. I haven't played it in a while and I forgot how good it sounds. I did change out all of the electronics and pups though.

Fantastic looking guitar!!!! I could only find these on the internet and not in shops a couple of years ago in England. It looked right up my street, at the time I wanted a guitar with block inlays, stop bar tail piece piece, full size humbuckers - I considered the Epiphone Supernova, this model in the red flame, but settled on a second hand 1983 Japanese built Epiphone Riviera, a guitar similar toby Noel Gallagher's & Bonehead's . Noel used his 1994 -1996 - last seen in Don't Look Back In Anger video, but Bonehead carried on using his sunburst model.

I was lucky I found a 1983 wine red Matsomuka made Riviera, same years as Noels for just over £600, but this would have been a close second.

Let us know howit sounds

John

... if L & M would only get the cherry version of this guitar [biggrin]

Really interesting comment. Went to L&M to check out the limited edition ice tea burst model. Its definitely quite interesting. Right beside it was the 'regular edition' dot cherry with a beautiful rich grain finish.. also at the same ridiculous price! True, no block inlays, cream binding etc...but... as I already have an upscale Sheraton vintage sunburst in the mix (block inlays, gold hardware, binding etc), I'm very tempted to grab the cherry dot for the collection.. I keep on admiring it. Its got a very clean classic look. Good to have these type of problems!

epi_sher_dot.jpg

I've always loved the look of the cherry dot, Justin Hayward (Moody Blues) & brings back memories of Alvin Lee (ten years after).

At my age a Gibby is out but the Epi dot fills the bill perfectly.

the first photo is stock, the second photo is after I changed knobks, switch tip, tuners & added pointers.

too bad my photgraphy does not do it justice,

I've always loved the look of the cherry dot,

Ya. I'm with ya there.

Seems to always makes me smile - even left-handed! I guess I better go get me one!

Heres the one I saw at the store last night:

epi_cherry.jpg

Re knobs, ya they are a bit cheesy, especically with the chrome hardware - got a black set off ebay on the way (like the Gibson 335 dot has). May also order a Gibson-like pickguard (like the nice iced tea one has) - although the ebay ones are are soemtimes hit and miss.

Question -

On guitars that have a fretboard binding. one finds the side fret markers on the binding (as per this random pic)

Fret%20Markers_4.jpg

Where there is no fretboard binding (like the normal Dot Cherry), where are the markers??? On the edge of the fretboard itself?? I cant recall exactly but I thought I saw a black edge (as if there was a black binding) with white dots on that edge ....but I've looked at so many guitar lately, I cant quite remember!

Can a Epi Cherry Dot owner post a pic that shows the side makers??

Thanks.

Question -

On guitars that have a fretboard binding. one finds the side fret markers on the binding (as per this random pic)

Fret%20Markers_4.jpg

Where there is no fretboard binding (like the normal Dot Cherry), where are the markers??? On the edge of the fretboard itself?? I cant recall exactly but I thought I saw a black edge (as if there was a black binding) with white dots on that edge ....but I've looked at so many guitar lately, I cant quite remember!

Can a Epi Cherry Dot owner post a pic that shows the side makers??

Thanks.

There are white dots on the side of the dark brown rosewood fretboard.

I don't have a pic. But trust me.

I love my Dot. And though I know I am in the minority, I like it without binding.

036-1-1.jpg

There are white dots on the side of the dark brown rosewood fretboard.

I don't have a pic. But trust me.

I love my Dot. And though I know I am in the minority, I like it without binding.

Excellent and thanks.

gat.jpg

I think the Dot is one of the best bargains around.They are great for modding. I put in Duncan Phat Cats and a Bigsby and it sounds awesome.The only thing these guitars need is a good setup.

I've always loved the look of the cherry dot... brings back memories of Alvin Lee (ten years after).

Alvin-Lee-1975-8.jpg

About your screen name, shouldn't the 1 come after 909???