Gibson Brands Forums

Buying an Epiphone G-400 looking for assistance

ColdFire

Hi

My first post here so hello all.

I am very much a fan of the Gison SG shape and sound, I think it is amazing. As I can't afford to buy a Gison USA SG I am looking at opting for the Epiphone G-400.

What I would like to know is:

1. Would you buy new or 2nd hand (could you recommend the best places to get both)

2. Is it easy to spot a fake one?

3. Could you recommend some reputable online retailers and if possible some good shops in the West-Midlands/Warwickshire Area?

Thanks in advance.

Bobby

Hi man,

1st of all; Welcome to the Epiphone forums!

I've recently bought an Epiphone SG G400 1966 Re-Issue (Full pickguard-My Avatar)

If i were you just buy a new one Cuz u dont know what happened with the 2nd hand one(Could be damaged, Internal damage etc.)

Hmm fake ones, Never saw a fake epiphone actually but look at the forums and see if u can find good pictures of Epiphones; Head, neck,body

I recommend go to www.Epiphone.com and find your model u like and click buy now u can see the retailers in your area.

Good Luck with buyin your Epiphone [cool]

P.S.: At the retailers mostly the epiphones are original and u can trust its not fake!

StrYk3D

As I've learned from Paruwi (Im Deutchland), the place to go in

your part of the world is:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

Here's the link straight to the EPI SG page:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?xsid=72745f9b8f6f4bb28ff72f2b462af24e&KF=on&gk=giegsg&oa=ala&bn=EPIPHONE&pr=&wgfid1=7350&wgf7350=&wgfid2=9009&wgf9009=&wgfid3=9010&wgf9010=&wgfid4=7352&wgf7352=&wgfid5=7351&wgf7351=&wgfid6=9014&wgf9014=&wgfid7=9015&wgf9015=&wgfid8=9016&wgf9016=

Now, all that matters is HOW MUCH you wish to spend!

Regarding fake SG's - none from these guys!

If you look at Thomann, and at the page that animalfarm posted, you'll find some very attractive G-400s.

Most of them will be below £300 and even with bundles and so on.

But if I were you, I'd consider the Prophecy GX simply because its pickups are better than the stock ones on the G-400 and you wouldn't need to upgrade those on the Prophecy.

Quite a few of our estimed colleagues in the forum have Prophecies and love them so do consider that for a few extra quid but it'll be worth it.

GuitarGuitar have a new store in Birmingham, and there's a DV247.com too. The latter will match Thomann prices if you don't want to receive by post. There's also a store called PMT in Bimrmingam who are also official Gibson/Epi dealers although their prices may not be as competitive.

Now get yourself out on a reconaissance mission!

We'll expect a full debrief.

Hi

An Update!

I visited PMT in Birmingham today and after trying a couple of guitars and some help from the very friendly and not at all pushy staff. I came away with a lovely Tony Iommi Signature G400 and a Vox VT15.

I have had a little play on it this evening and it is amazing so glad I went for this as I was torn between the G400, A ESP Vyper and a Schecter PT Tele.

This guitar is amazing. According to the Serial Number decoder thread it was made in Feb this year at factory 15.

I am so happy with it. My wife is going to get some photos of it so I can put them up here for you all to admire.

Thanks for all the help guys, and I can whole heartedly recommend PMT in Birmingham, I even managed to haggle some money off the price!

Thanks

Hi

An Update!

I visited PMT in Birmingham today and after trying a couple of guitars and some help from the very friendly and not at all pushy staff. I came away with a lovely Tony Iommi Signature G400 and a Vox VT15.

I have had a little play on it this evening and it is amazing so glad I went for this as I was torn between the G400' date=' A ESP Vyper and a Schecter PT Tele.

This guitar is amazing. According to the Serial Number decoder thread it was made in Feb this year at factory 15.

I am so happy with it. My wife is going to get some photos of it so I can put them up here for you all to admire.

Thanks for all the help guys, and I can whole heartedly recommend PMT in Birmingham, I even managed to haggle some money off the price!

Thanks[/quote']

Congrats on the new G-400! I bought a used one in ebony a few years ago and gave it quite a workout before I decided it was the right SG for me. It is actually a better guitar than a 1970's Gibson SG I had back in the late 70's-the G-400 sounds great stock and it stays in tune extremely well!

A friend of mine from Germany also bought the Tony Iommi as well-he says it's inspired quite a few new songs and it's his favorite.

Below is a photo of my G-400.....

NewusedSGG-400.jpg

Hello ColdFire. I'm a beginning guitar player and several weeks ago bought a used, excellent + condition (recent production model) Epi G400 SG in ebony online from Guitar Center (not practical to ship to UK, I understand). Now I was leary of buying used, but due to a good return policy (something to consider), I figured it was worth a shot. Worse case scenario, I'd be out $21.00 in shipping charges. The guitar cost me $180.00 American vs $330.00- 350.00 new and even used it frequently sells for $250.00 - 300.00. I paid $60.00 for a good set up with strings, a stripped knob replaced (only thing wrong with it). This may not be the route for you with the downside being less warranty, but for the savings, I was okay with it.

awww sounds great on my Engl!! one of best sounding metal guitars there are! I would like the high end a tad brighter but oh well. This guitar resonates very well I will have to compare it will my buddies regular g 400 when he gets it. I had a Iommi 2 yrs ago but traded it for a floyed type guitar now i just bought this one used and pretty mint for 400.

101_0590.jpg

Archived