Gibson Brands Forums

Thunderbird Pro iv

zaifulhisyam

Good day everybody......

Somewhere in Feb 2010 i bought 1 unit of T-Bird Pro iv from one of the local supplier in Kuching, when i played my bass at home or at the studio.... I’m facing the humming sound.. then i bring it back to the local supplier(somewhere in April 2010), they found that my input Jack was broken(maybe due to factory problems), then their replaced it with other brand of input jack(Ibanez)

Then next problem after replacing the input Jack is high consumption Battery 9v. 2 unit of batteries for 1 month even I seldom play my Bass….. Then I send it back to the supplier for some troubleshooting repairing, after that I get back my humming sound and I feel very disappointed.

How good this bass guitar actually? Seem that i dont recomment for others to get this bass

Yesterday (12-07-2010) i get back to my supplier then the supplier replaced the whole bass guitar to new unit.. but unfortunately and seem that it dont' solve my problem,Only slightly humming… then I think it is okay for me.. rather than I sell my bass

High battery consumption probably has to do with either:

1) Leaving it plugged in.

2: Mis-wired jack.

The active electronics are turned on by the cable being plugged into the jack. The connector on the cable completes a circuit and acts like a switch, turning the electronics 'on'. If you leave the bass plugged in, the electronics stay 'on' and run the battery down. (I've done that on more than one occasion.[biggrin] .) If you're not leaving it plugged in, then it's more than likely that the jack is wired in such a manner that the electronics are 'on' regardless if it's plugged in or not. And that needs to be fixed.

High battery consumption probably has to do with either:

1) Leaving it plugged in. (normaly i put back my bass in hardcase after i played)

2: Mis-wired jack. ( the supplier compare to in shop unit for comparison jack wiring)

then after replacing everything with new unit why i'm facing back the humming sound?

then after replacing everything with new unit why i'm facing back the humming sound?

Hum could come from anywhere: the bass, the cable, the amp... especially if the power outlet isn't properly grounded, or you're playing near electric devices, such as televisions or fluorescent light-bulbs. It may not be the bass is what I'm saying. It may be something else.

From what I've read in this forum alone the T-Bird Pro seems to have major problems in every department.

Except fundamental construction. (IE: the wood) The 3 or 4 I've played have been pretty nice overall. (Despite the fact that they were T-birds.) There was the batch with the bad frets' date=' but to be fair that could have happened with ANY Epi model...

If I had one (Which I don't, and never will because the T-bird is a flawed design.[confused ) I wouldn't worry about the electronics problems. I'd rip the stock stuff out and go with Bartolini. Pickups AND preamp.

I'd rip the stock stuff out and go with Bartolini. Pickups AND preamp.

Thats the ticket! From my experience' date=' Epiphone Active bass pickups are pretty shoddy - and that includes their pre-amps. With the PRO tag on these T-Birds, I find it disappointing that they didnt put in a set of Barts. Even the MK-1's (Korean) would have been a huge boon to the model. Epi's active bass pickups have always been a huge let-down...not that they produce an overt amount of buzzing. They just lack a huge amount of mids and overall clarity.

[b']zaifulhisyam [/b] - Also check your amp and pre-amp settings. Too much treble on either or both can give you buzzing/hum...especially if you are trying to compensate for a sub-par amp. Try setting everything to zero (straight up the middle or center notched) on both the amp and bass and see how much buzz you have coming through.

I cant see a second bass having the exact same problem with buzzing. I has to be something other than the bass.

Archived