Gibson Brands Forums

new humbuckers on Les Paul Custom

Cisca

Hi,I'm going to change the humbuckers in my Les Paul Custom of the 94'.

Alternatives which I think are:

1 Gibson 490R-498T (I am very interested)

2 Gibson 57' Classic-57' Classic plus

3 Gibson Burstbucker 2-Burstbucker 3

4 Seymour Duncan SH4 JB-SH2 Jazz

Changing the humbuckers I also change the wiring and pots (I think Di Marzio).

I've got the 2 Seymour on my Jackson RR5,they are great but the SH4 has got too much treble.

I'm searching a sound like the 70'/80' rock,hard rock and some metal.

If anyone knows these humbuckers let me know how they sound.

Thanks

Nicola

The 490R/498T and the 57's are very similar pickups, apart from the 490R/498T have 4 conductor wiring for coil-split etc. I think the 57 classic plus is also slightly hotter than the 498T.

I have the 490R/498T combo in my firebird and they're just awesome, they have that unmistakable humbucker tone.

The burstbuckers 2 and 3 are a great combo, but I think (I may be wrong) they are not wax potted so might suffer from microphonic feedback, however the Burstbucker Pros are potted and do sound awesome so they might be an option for high gain rock stuff.

The SD Jazz set won't offer the tone that you are after, buts still they are great pups.

You can find demos of most pickups on youtube so have a good browse on there

I have that same combination, 490R-498T on my Gibson Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash (Stock).

They are slightly more agressive than burstbuckers 2 and 3 (or so my ears tell me).

In any case, they are good pickups and they are good for rock, and hard rock and I'm sure they'll be fine for metal as well. Really, it will depend on your amp.

When you roll the tone and volume down a little, you'll get some nice bluesy tones from them, with enough "hair" on them.

You won't be disappointed.

Here's a "wild card" - you could try the 490R (neck) and SD SH4 (bridge) if you want to mix them up. The SH4 is good for the rock/metal genre and I agree with Fontana that the 490R is a good neck pup. All depends on how much you want to pay?

Stewart B

The SD Jazz set won't offer the tone that you are after' date=' buts still they are great pups.

[/quote']

They have a lot of clarity but they sound completely different in a LP compared to a metal style guitar. I have them in my LP Standard plus and I think they're great for blues and rock too. Check out the youtube vid in my signature. If they're too trebly or too high gain those volume tone control actually work with this set.

I do like the look of 490R/498T and might put them in my slighlty brighter LP studio (and to keep the chrome look).

Alan

I finally bought the 490R and 498T. The 490R is a 94 'and the 498T is recent about one year.

Last thing. someone can tell me the differences between the CTS and DiMarzio pots? and which switch and jack attack you recommended? I would like to install quality parts.

Thanks

Nicola

I think the 57 classic plus is also slightly hotter than the 498T.

Actually it's the other way around - the 498T is a little hotter than the Classic Plus - at least according to Gibson's relative output chart:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/_gear/datasheets/Pickup_Guide.pdf

I have the 490R/498T combo in my firebird and they're just awesome' date=' they have that unmistakable humbucker tone.[/quote']

I totally agree. I have them in my 95 LP Standard and I think they are good sounding and very versatile pickups.

They're currently what's in the Gibson Les Paul Customs, so you'll be getting even closer, Cisca.

Not sure about the pots, but you can't go wrong with Switchcraft switches and jacks.

Archived