Gibson Brands Forums

EL - 00 Opinions??????

rosetree

I have ordered one. I love small body guitars, and when I grown up and win the lottery I will buy a Gibson. Meanwhile I have ordered oneof these. I am paying about $270 Canadian for it. I keep reading that people change out the nut and the saddle to bone. Is that necessary? Any suggestions on a pickup to install.

Or is it crap and should I just trash it and use it for kindling?

Opinions please.

[biggrin]

I have ordered one. I love small body guitars' date=' and when I grown up and win the lottery I will buy a Gibson. Meanwhile I have ordered oneof these. I am paying about $270 Canadian for it. I keep reading that people change out the nut and the saddle to bone. Is that necessary? Any suggestions on a pickup to install.

Opinions please.

[cool

Wow... nobody eh?

What's the problem? Is it the humour? The Gibson reference? Nobody owns this guitar? Don't all jump up at once[confused]

I don't have one, but I can recommend that you change out the plastic nut and saddle for bone or some other more dense material (corian, tusq, fossilized walrus tusk, and ivory are a few). The saddle will make a more audible difference than the nut, but I routinely change out both at the same time.

I did a quick search....suggest you do so, too. Use the search function and search the Acoustic guitar forum for "EL-00" and match exact phrase....I got 23 pages of hits, perhaps the information you seek is in there.

Cheers from Dugly [cool] !

I broke a sting on my EL-00 over the weekend and replaced the entire set with some D'Addario Light Flat Wounds. First of all, it's the first time I broke a string while playing. I scared the s$%t out of me!!! BUT, the new strings sure made a difference in the sound. I love the mellowness of it. It may be my imagination, but the new strings also made a differencde in the playability. My fingers seem to move much more easily on these strings. I also have these strings on my PR350 and love them. Dean

... the new strings sure made a difference in the sound. I love the mellowness of it. It may be my imagination' date=' but the new strings also made a differencde in the playability. My fingers seem to move much more easily on these strings.[/quote']

Flatwounds are a great way to reduce that "screech" sound that is made as you move your fretting fingers up and down the fretboard. With the windings having flat tops, they will be easier to play and easier on your fingers than round-wounds, too. What you're sacrificing is the crispness (that's why they sound "mellow" already) and the longevity of the strings....they'll lose their tone fairly quickly.

Lots of jazz players use flatwounds on their electrics.

Dugly :-

The EL-00 comes with a bone nut and saddle. Or at least the one my wife bought be for Christmas last year did.

It's a great little guitar. Put a set of Elixir Medium Lights on it and take off!

Really? Mine came with plastic. Mine's a little older, so it nice to see that specs have changed for the better, for once!

It IS a great little guitar!

Red 333

I hope you get a good one. I ordered one from MF a couple of years ago and sent it right back. In terms of sound it was a dud...

The sound will not compare favourably to a vintage D-28 or J-45, but it was never meant to. The solid spruce top will "break in" and improve with playing. The smaller size is more suited to intimate settings - that's why the called that type of guitar "parlour guitars". It was never meant to compete with a fiddle, mandolin & banjo at an outdoor barn dance.

Try a set of Elixer strings starting with a .10.

Enjoy your guitar. You will get better ones![cool]

Legs

Thanks. Actually I do have better ones LOTS of better ones. I have a very bad case of GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome). This is a way to have another "kind" of guitar without having to take out a third mortgage. ;)

Thanks. Actually I do have better ones LOTS of better ones. I have a very bad case of GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome). This is a way to have another "kind" of guitar without having to take out a third mortgage. :-

I have the same problem myself. You can only treat the symptoms; not the source! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

WOW.....I just had a setup and new TUSQ saddle installed on my EL-00. What a difference!!!! It is like a totally different guitar. I kept the flat-wound strings on it. I think the next time I change strings, I'm going to put new/better pins in. I really loved playing it before, but NOW........... It was the best $30 I've spent in a long time. Dean

WOW.....I just had a setup and new TUSQ saddle installed on my EL-00. What a difference!!!! It is like a totally different guitar. I kept the flat-wound strings on it. I think the next time I change strings' date=' I'm going to put new/better pins in. I really loved playing it before, but NOW........... It was the best $30 I've spent in a long time. Dean[/quote']

That's great to hear. I will pick my new guitrar later in the week. I'll give it a try out of the box and then make my decision after. But I figure I'll make the changes eventually. [biggrin]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have ordered one. I love small body guitars, and when I grown up and win the lottery I will buy a Gibson. Meanwhile I have ordered oneof these. I am paying about $270 Canadian for it. I keep reading that people change out the nut and the saddle to bone. Is that necessary? Any suggestions on a pickup to install.

Opinions please.

[biggrin]

I bought one about six months ago. Tightened the truss rod,and changed the strings to 13's. Fine sounding guitar! I am thinking of changing out the nut and saddle, but I do not believe it is necessary considering the guitar has excellent tone and sustain.

Opinions please.

[biggrin]

Play a bunch of guitars, in time you'll develop your own opinion on crap or not crap.

Archived