Gibson Brands Forums

FOUND: Hardshell Case Supplier for Explorer Bass...

WadeJack2

OK maybe I'm not the only guy who's pulled his hair out looking for a case for his Epiphone Korina Explorer Bass.

Nope, a standard bass case won't fit. Nope, a T-Bird case won't fit. Nope, an Explorer guitar case won't fit. But most online retailers would be happy to ship you one of those by mistake.

The case number (per Gibson) for this model is EXBCS. But they are apparently a special order, 180 day minimum wait, heavy plywood and tolex affair. Yuk.

Two things struck me as I hunted for a case to fit my behemoth.

1.) Why don't guitar manufacturers publish the dimensions of their guitar so you can find a case to fit them?

2.) Why don't case manufacturers publish the inner dimensions of their cases so you can decide if it fits your guitar?

3.) Why don't guitar manufacturers locate/make/ship the guitar with at least a rudimentary case?

Oh wait that's three things. Sorry;.

Anyway, somebody said to try an 88 key keyboard case. Hard ones are too expensive, more than the bass itself in this case. And soft ones are... well... soft. Then you have to stuff them. No.

I decided to think outside of the box. (Hey, a pun!) I looked around for existing case suppliers for other industries that might fit what I need. What else is long, unwieldy, and bad things might happen if you drop it? I found my answer in the Second Amendment. That's right, A RIFLE.

They make cases for rifles. They make double cases to carry two rifles with scopes.

And one of these exactly fits this bass. The inner dimensions are the same as an 88 key keyboard case.

Cabela's sells it as an "XPG Rifle Case"

Item # IA-229453 It sells for $119.

Here is a link!!

It's sturdy lightweight ABS with a reinforced aluminum frame.

It comes with cut-to-fit convoluted foam so it won't move a millimeter inside there.

It's ATA approved (for guns anyways)

It has locking latches.

Your mileage may vary... but for $119 I am very pleased with it. In fact, since its a custom fit cut-to-fit it will nicely accomodate any bass you want to put in it and have some room left over. I may buy one for each of my basses.

Archived