Gibson Brands Forums

Practice/ Home Recording Amp

I have a studio in my home but have limited space. I am looking for a practice amp that I could also run direct to my mixer for recording. I was looking at 2 different models. First was the Roland Micro Cube and the other was an Orange CR20Ldx. I went into a Guitar Center near my house and then to a small privately owned Guitar shop, both times I was steered away from the Roland and The Orange and was recommended the Line 6 Spider IV (15 or 30 Watt). Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

....I went into a Guitar Center near my house and then to a small privately owned Guitar shop' date=' both times I was steered away from the Roland and The Orange and was recommended the Line 6 Spider IV (15 or 30 Watt). Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

[/quote']

Perhaps they make more $$$ on the Line 6 amps than the others? I honestly don't know..... I think the Roland and the Orange may have more fans, but yeah, you should take online reviews with a grain of salt. If the Line 6 sounds good to you and has the features you need/want, then go for it. It's going to be your amp, don't let others' opinions bother you[cool]

Try out some of the Vox amps as well, especially the VT30. They have a line out, and I believe the VT50 and 100 have an XLR out. Also, something I want to try but haven't found any of in my area are the Tech 21 amps. I know the Tech 21 30 watt combo has an XLR out. Might be worth looking in to. Hopefully you're GC has more knowledgeable people than the last one I went to. I asked about the Tech 21 (which shows on the website as a special order for the stores), and the guy had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Thanks for your suggestion. After looking at all amps I really like the built in tuner feature. I did not see that on either the vox or the tech 21...plus Tech 21 is a little bit out of my price range. I know it makes no difference but its a convenience I really really like. I just gotta hear that orange, it doesn't model like the Line 6 will but i love the big Orange sound. And I'm not trying to blow anyone away here, just using in my home studio running direct line out to my mixer...not micing. If the sound of the orange is so much better than the Line 6 to make it worth $60 more for less features, then I'm goin orange. If I'm torn at all on the sound...then I'm going Line 6 on 'bang for buck' aspect.

As far as the GC by my house goes, I don't rely on them for a lot of questions. I find most of my answers online, then anything that I just need to talk to someone about I go to this privately owned guitar shop that is just as close as the GC. I would stay out of GC all together...if their selection and prices weren't so damn inviting.

I have a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt and a Fender Vibrochamp XD 5 watt that is a tube/hybrid type amp. Both are modeling amps. I like the little Fender a lot. You can get some great sounds out of it for the type of music I like (classic rock, blues, and other stuff). I think the Line 6 is OK but perhaps more suited for the type of music that my teenage son likes.

I have both the Line 6 III 30 watt and a Fender XD. From a completely emotional standpoint (tube snobbery) the XD is the preferred amp, but frankly there are many more useful sounds and functions (including a tuner!!!) on the Line 6.

If you're tube obsessed like some of us, you might also consider the Bugera V5. It's only $150 and has a headphone out for those nights when the S.O. is asleep and you're buzzed out on double-shot cappucinos...

There's always the Peavey Vypyr 15 and 30 ($99 and $199). The 15 has less effects and stompboxes built in, but the 30 is gig worthy, sounds great, and has all the effects you'd want, complete with a line out and USB port.

Yeah, avoid the Line 6 Spider like the plague. They always come near bottom in the modelling amp reviews. Also avoid the JM4 looper which houses the front-end of the Spider3, reliability/firmware problems.

What come out tops is invariably the Vox Valvetronix e.g. VT30, next up the Roland Cube--X, then the Orange. The Fender (SCXD) is an also-ran. The VT30 actually sounds like several brilliant valve amps, only lacking a tiny bit in in dynamic pick-response, down-side is too many knobs. All offer various i/o for recording.

On the valve amp side, suggest the all-in-one Peavey Windsor Studio 20, avoid the migraine-inducing light show of the Vypr, great light-show, kiddie's sound.

For recording, I use Epi BC30, Laney L5T-112, AD30VT and Cube20X, and a couple of exotic vintage jobs. The PVWS20 belongs to a mate.

I have a small home studio also---I have a roland cube--(it is OK) but I bought a Fender g-dec 3 and I love it--has loads of sounds--I plug it into 2 channels of my Akai recorder and it sounds great--it also has songs on it that you can jam with to practice. has a SD card slot--headphone jack so you don't wake up the neighbors---I REALLY love this little amp----I have the original g-dec also but the g-dec 3 is alot better---IMHO

P.S. it also has a usb port that I haven't used yet

I have a Roland Cube 30x, it has some pretty good models in there, especially the high gain ones and the clean channel.

The Orange Crush series are also fantastic amps (I have a Micro Crush :-({|=) that are quite versatile, and I think they have a pretty damn good tone for solid state.

For a practice amp, it's hard to beat the Spider Jam. 75 watts, built in recorder for looping, SD card access, and it has RCA outs to go to your board for POD compatable output. I also run a Tech21 power engine off of it and get the extra boost for vocals. I love mine, it would be a good choice. I have a Roland street cube that is great for camping and parties outside, but I don't think I would gig or record with it because I have the Spider. Love all things Orange too, so my recommendation is.... gosh, I like them all. :-({|=

I have a studio in my home but have limited space. I am looking for a practice amp that I could also run direct to my mixer for recording. I was looking at 2 different models. First was the Roland Micro Cube and the other was an Orange CR20Ldx. I went into a Guitar Center near my house and then to a small privately owned Guitar shop' date=' both times I was steered away from the Roland and The Orange and was recommended the Line 6 Spider IV (15 or 30 Watt). Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

[/quote']

I recommend the Roland Cube 30x.

My last pro amp was a Mesa Boogie .22 before that Peavey 30 watt tube Classic. In the dark ages 4 Hi-watt stacks.

I got too decrepit to tote them when we lost our 6' 8" Roadie. The first time I toted the Boogie, I thought, this is how heavy a amp should be.

I recorded my last album on a vintage 5watt Marshall.

I had several metalheads ask what kind of stack was using. I said it was about 1/2 meter tall... then explained the metric system.

Any of these suggestions are good, but with a Cube or Peavey you can drop it, piss on, it and subject it to abuse that should be reserved for US congressmen!

That Orangelooks mighty good. Old Oranges had a unique fast blow fuse... the head, but as with all things electronic

they've improved mightily. Any of you geezers like me pay old Marshalls? Remember their relyability?

I saw the lead guitarist for GirlSchool mash their tech guy's nuts over her 50w Marshall crapping out again at a show at the Cavern (B'ham) that my wife produced![biggrin]

Legs

Yeah' date=' avoid the Line 6 Spider like the plague. They always come near bottom in the modelling amp reviews. Also avoid the JM4 looper which houses the front-end of the Spider3, reliability/firmware problems.

What come out tops is invariably the Vox Valvetronix e.g. VT30, next up the Roland Cube--X, then the Orange. The Fender (SCXD) is an also-ran. The VT30 actually sounds like several brilliant valve amps, only lacking a tiny bit in in dynamic pick-response, down-side is too many knobs. All offer various i/o for recording.

On the valve amp side, suggest the all-in-one Peavey Windsor Studio 20, avoid the migraine-inducing light show of the Vypr, great light-show, kiddie's sound.

For recording, I use Epi BC30, Laney L5T-112, AD30VT and Cube20X, and a couple of exotic vintage jobs. The PVWS20 belongs to a mate.[/quote']

Great suggestions jefrs, wish I'd bought a VT30 or PVWS20 for my son instead of the Line 6.

Archived